3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:56 am

Doctor What wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:49 pm
These look excellent, i've been looking into getting a 3D printer soon and the thought of having a little cleaner robot to go with my figures is making me want one even more!

I've read your first post on this topic about printers but I was wondering if there are any you would specifically recommend, probably in the "lower" price bracket of 3D printers of up to about a maximum of £300?
If you're in the UK, about the only filament printer that's under £300 is the £260 Creality Ender 3 Pro. A lot of people use these and while it's only a standard 100 micron resolution printer, it does have some nice features like a built-in auto-resume if your power happens to flicker or go out, and an extremely large print area that can print even the biggest of my figures.

You can also get an Anycubic Photon, the same resin printer that I use, for £299 (possibly cheaper if you find it on sale or through eBay) or the Elegoo Mars for £229, both of which print at insanely high detail, though keep in mind that if you go with resin, there are all the usual safety concerns that you'll want to think about (do you have small kids or pets for whom potentially toxic chemicals would be a danger) and that you'll probably be spending twice as much as you thought to set up your dedicated print area which will need to have a sturdy table with room for beakers or mason jars to rinse your prints in isopropyl alcohol, a box of Nitrile Gloves, lots of paper towels, a scrubbing tub with water and a toothbrush or an ultrasonic cleaner (about £25) to clean off any excess IPA and resin, ziplock bags for storing your cast-off resin (which must be set outside to cure in the sun before your throw it away), a large trashcan with a lid, and a small UV Cure light (also about £25) to give your parts a final curing before they're ready for painting.

If you're printing indoors, especially around where you sleep, eat, or spend a lot of time, expect the initial setup cost to go up even higher as you'll almost certainly want to purchase some sort of cabinet to house your printer/bottles of resin, possibly with some kind of inline duct fan/dryer hose arrangement to whisk fumes away outside or to a dryer vent, and some large heavy duty vinyl chair mats if you're printing anywhere near carpet or floors that you don't want to see damaged by potential resin spills. (I can guarantee, no matter how careful you are, you will be dripping resin at some point)

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:36 am

Fresh off the printer!
This is a big 'un and I had less than 1mm to spare on either side in my Anycubic Photon FEP vat. I'm glad it turned out okay.
I'm printing the front half of the base now. I'm really glad that resin printers are so fast, and even my biggest pieces never take more than about 24 hours to finish. (though I did have to top up the resin part-way through)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:18 pm

Looking good!
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:07 am

Well, I'm awfully glad I didn't spend any time on the Recon Dalek so many of you were asking for.
I figured CO would get around to it as soon as they could scrape together enough cash, and I was right. It's part of the new wave being released February-ish.