Re: THE MONSTER PROJECT: New Page 9 - Troughton Era!

Rob W

Re: THE MONSTER PROJECT: new - Troughton Era!

Post by Rob W »

Onto another of the Troughton era’s mechanical menaces, the Quarks:

Imagequark 1 by Rob White, on Flickr

Another job you might be best off printing, but thankfully less complex than the Krotons! The bulk of the body is rectangular plasticard panels, assembled with plastic cylinders at the corners. The arm sections were cut out and backed with strips of craft wood, and these were attached to internal hinges – the arms are capable of moving all the way in and out, though it’s a tight fit.

Imagequark wip by Rob White, on Flickr

The legs are corrugated plastic tubing assembled on a central axis attached in the body. This gives the legs a decent range of motion. The head is a small wooden ball with the other details sculpted on top (the small circles in the cut out sections are trimmed from biro inner tubes.)

Imagequark 2 by Rob White, on Flickr

Again, this is a smidge taller than I’d like, though probably only by 5-10%. It’s still smaller than Troughton, which is good enough for me!

Rob W

Post by Rob W »

A figure that features high on people’s CO wishlists, is the one that completes the classic Cyberman roster…

Imagewheelcybe 1 by Rob White, on Flickr

The recipe for this has been widely used by customisers – Invasion body, Tomb head and inverted chest unit. The exo-skeleton around the arms and legs was built from metal paperclips, glued into place with the caps sculpted over. The only small wrinkle in the job was that I realised the only spare Tomb chest unit I had to hand was missing the outside casing, to I had to sculpt over that.

Imagewheelcybe 2 by Rob White, on Flickr

Rob W

Post by Rob W »

While I was working on the Wheel Cyberman, I thought I’d spend a little time doing the other neglected variant, from the Moonbase.

Imagemooncybe 1 by Rob White, on Flickr

The differences between the two are fairly subtle – it essentially amounts to different boots, and a different arrangement of the chest tubing – but worth doing if you’re a completist! It means I now have a full range of Troughton Cybermen…

Imagetroutcybes by Rob White, on Flickr

Rob W

Post by Rob W »

The other new addition from the Wheel in Space is the little guardian of the Silver Carrier, the (slightly) fearsome Servo Robot.

Imageservo 1 by Rob White, on Flickr

This was a fairly simple build – four pieces of plasticard, gently curved and glued together with some sculpting to cover the joins. I fixed the ankle sections from a Cyber figure into the chest section with the balljoints protruding, so that I could affix arms with a range of motion. The same Cyberman sacrificed his hip section for the legs of this robot, with the stumps ground down and fixed into more corrugated tubing. The head was a bottle cap, with detail sculpted over the outside and the shoulder lights were cannibalised from a lego set.

Imageservo wip by Rob White, on Flickr

In contrast with some of the other scratch builds, I think I nailed the scale of this one – it’s nicely tiny compared to Troughton.

Imageservo 2 by Rob White, on Flickr

Rob W

Post by Rob W »

Back to normal customising techniques, and a much-needed addition to the Martian ranks:

Imageicelord 1 by Rob White, on Flickr

Bit of a cheat this one – I wanted the Ice Lord to feature in my Troughton update, but the design is clearly from the Pertwee era, with the glitzy cloak and belt. I just preferred that look! Base figure is another Axon man, with all the relevant details sculpted over. I built the shoulder armor around some soft rubber sections (pinched from another Ice Warrior carapace), so the arms have a decent, if not spectacular, range of motion. The helmet has clear red plastic pieces built into the sculpt.

Imageicelord wip by Rob White, on Flickr

Most of the work on this was the cape. I don’t tend to like soft goods on my action figures, but I couldn’t help but notice that the spangly cloak that came with Omega might be a good fit for this, if only it were the right colour. So I decided to try my hand at fabric dying. I didn’t want the faff and expense of buying a proper dye kit, so did a bit of research online and decided that natural fabric dyes might be worth a punt. In the end I used turmeric, as I figured the vivid yellow might be enough to turn this green. I won’t bother with full instructions as it’s freely available online, but suffice to say it worked a treat – the cloak is now a lovely spangly green! It wasn’t hanging terribly well when I attached it, so I fixed some thin bendy wire into the hem – I may still need to adjust this so it poses properly.

Imageicelord 2 by Rob White, on Flickr

Rob W

Post by Rob W »

Yet another robotic foe from the Troughton era, and one of my favourites:

Imagewhiterobot 2 by Rob White, on Flickr

I love the Mind Robber, and always thought this was a lovely little design (for which the Who production team can’t take any credit!) The base body was a Revenge Cyberman – I originally thought the corrugated style knees and elbows might survive intact, though this proved not to work in the end. I built the segmented chest section and head out of strips of plasticard and sculpted details over the top.

Imagewhiterobot wip by Rob White, on Flickr

The elbow section is more corrugated plastic tubing slid over the original arms (once ground down). I hoped this might allow for flexibility in posing, but the range of motion ended up being not great, so I glued the elbow joint into a perma-bend. The figure retains its forearm swivel though.

Imagewhiterobot 1 by Rob White, on Flickr

Rob W

Post by Rob W »

I’ve had a few cracks at building a Yeti before now – I was never fully happy with my first stab, so ended up selling it on a year or so back and starting again.

Imagenewyeti 1 by Rob White, on Flickr

Base body is a Mummy robot – there’s a decent bulk already, and it’s broad in the shoulders which allows for a bulkier midriff, though I did have to cut up and reassemble the arms to allow for more clearance. The bulk of the work was in the fur sculpting, though I did kitbash a little web gun for him to brandish.

Imagenewyeti wip by Rob White, on Flickr

Imagenewyeti 2 by Rob White, on Flickr

Rob W

Post by Rob W »

Probably the biggest headscratcher for me was how to tackle the era’s crabby menace, the Macra:

Imagemacra 4 by Rob White, on Flickr

Oh, but I love the ambition of the Macra – I was more than a little disappointed that the animation felt the design needed ‘fixing’. The little video of the Shawcross factory, with colour glimpses of the prop, was like catnip for me. Between that, and the initial design sketch, I had a decent idea of how this would have looked in 3D – it was jut a case of building him.

Imagemacra 3 by Rob White, on Flickr

The base involved the chest section and arms of a Marvel Legends figure, mounted on a flat base (from the Moxx of Balhoon), with a plastic capsule on top for bulk. The arms were on a ball joint and had a decent elbow joint, which means the arms can move and flex in ways the original prop could probably only dream of! The figure also has a wrist hinge, so I could fix a strip of plasticard to the forearm and one to the hand, to allow for an openable claw.

Imagemacra wip by Rob White, on Flickr

With the arms sorted, the rest of the figure was just a case of sculpting the detail in, though I did opt for some rotating mandibles, just for kicks. The eye stalks have some garden wire fixed inside so they can bend and hold a pose, and the antennae and legs are rubber legs from insect toys. I also punched some small holes in the putty so that once everything was pinted, I could stick in some thin bristles to match the hairy looks of the original prop.

Imagemacra 1 by Rob White, on Flickr

It’s a bulky beast, and rather unwieldy, but the arms are more expressive than I’d hoped for, and there’s the additional bonus that the Moxx base retains it’s ‘pull-back-and-go’ feature, so the Macra can advance menacingly on enemies under its own steam!

Imagemacra 2 by Rob White, on Flickr

Rob W

Post by Rob W »

And finally…

Just as I’d always planned to tackle the Troughton era last, I’d also always had this in mind as the last custom of the lot. A final end…

Imagedalekemperor 2 by Rob White, on Flickr
Unsurprisingly, given how important it is to Dalek lore, the Dalek Emperor has been tackled a fair few times by customisers, so there’s a decent amount of reference material to study. Not that it stops it from being a mammoth build – I didn’t leave it until the end for nothing.

Imageemperor wip by Rob White, on Flickr

I built the base in cross section, with a 12 sided base. I then cut the 12 base panels from plasticard, and on a separate layer cut out the honeycomb pattern, which I glued on top. When I’d done all 12, I glued them around the base (very fiddly work!). The spheres were moulded and cast to fit inside each panel. I also cast the extruding sections around the head piece. The eye stalk is from plastic tubing and has a joint to look up and down (this is the only articulation in the figure). The top dome is built from a couple of different sized bottom lids, and to my eyes looks a little too tall – I may yet remove it and grind it down a bit.

Imagedalekemperor 1 by Rob White, on Flickr

I’ve yet to create the framework and dais that normally goes with the Emperor Dalek, and which would allow for all the hanging tubes, but that’s something I’ll probably tackle down the line.

Imageevildaleks by Rob White, on Flickr

Rob W

Post by Rob W »

And with the customary whole era shot, that’s it – started this project back in 2014 with the McCoy era, and now 5 years and 11 Doctors later, I’m all done!

Imagetroughton figures by Rob White, on Flickr

Or nearly, anyway…

In due course I’ll no doubt tackle the monsters from Jodie’s era, but in the meantime, I thought it might be nice to wrap this up by taking one more lap through the entire series, with a custom or two from every era.

To be concluded...