Nice work!
Image I am geek, hear me roar!

Deborah J

Re: Debbie Does Dalek: but this time Deborah actually does the dalek

Post by Deborah J »

vitodim wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:14 pm
Nice work!
Thanks :D It's definitely been a slowburner of a project, but it's very satisfying to see it come together.

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

Danoftardis wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:39 am
Incidentally I once spelled out my name on the floor using price stickers from one of those pricing guns during work experience. It was the highlight of the two weeks.
Wow. That must've been one hell of a fortnight!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I know everyone is just bursting for an update: my silver paint tin finally arrived on tuesday, and as I had suspected it isn't anything like a close enough match to patch the bit I messed up. However I had already ordered another can of spray paint, which arrived this afternoon, so we're all set to finish the project. At present I'm painting the eyestalk, once I'm done with that I'll do the respray, then a bit of brushy brushy on the appendages, then stick everything together, then robert is the brother of one of your parents. Full update chapter to follow in due course, but that's what's up just now.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Ooh, looking forward to how it turns out.

Not to derail the thread (ironic)- and if it’s for personal reasons then no matter- why did you leave the Discord?

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

You've done a superb job upgrading/repairing this Dalek so far, and I can't wait to see how the finished product turns out. :)
Through the darkness of future past
the magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds
Fire....walk with me.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Chapter 10: Everything is difficult

So... goodness me, where to begin... I wanted to order in a new can of TS17 to cover the mess I'd made of the paintwork, but no-one had any in stock for a sensible price. I settled for Humbrol's version of the same stuff. Turns out it's a little gritty and noticably darker and less shiny. I tried a few things to try and fix it up a bit, I gave it a coat of satin cote, that went badly and just discoloured the metal colour, I had to resand the surface to get it smooth again, which wrecked the space between the arms yet again. The new colour was darker to the point that it now matched up to the colour from the little tin of silver paint, so I painted that area with that, which cleaned it up, the colour matches, but the finish is different. and the whole thing is just very lacklustre. I also painted the eyestalk, the white eye lens part was a real hassle to do, I needed about three attempts at it.

So here is where I'm at now the head looks fine, the body looks ok on camera but just really dull and low energy in person. It's especially noticable with the neck rings on. I've decided that for all I've spent so far it would be a shame not to have it looking its best, so I've decided to buy yet another can of spray paint, the proper tamiya TS17, at a higher price, and just give it one more coat. Not like I've got anything else to spend my money on right now. THat is expected to come some time next week, or maybe the week after, so that's it for updates until then, I haven't actually stuck on the head yet, and obviously the hemispheres aren't on either, that will all have to wait until I've signed off on the body paintwork. But enjoy these pictures of its current state. It doesn't look awful, by any means, just not right to my eye.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

Honestly it's looking pretty good! 👌

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

And dry brushing is out of the question?

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I mean I've already ordered in some more spray paint. But I know that that will provide the desired effect, trying something I haven't done before, which would still require materials I don't have is just throwing more money at a problem that I couldn't be certain would work.