Debbie Does Dalek: but this time Deborah actually does the dalek

Deborah J

Re: Debbie Does Dalek: but this time Deborah actually does the dalek

Post by Deborah J »

And now a lesson on guring Ims

Step one, put your mouse up in this corner

Step two, this little menu appears

Step three, click on "get share links"

Step four, go to BB code (forums) which is the bottom left option. Sometimes they're stacked vertically, but it's still that option

Step five, either click the "copy button" like in this picture or highlight it, and copy manually. Then paste that code into the post on the forum

Step six, there is no step 6

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Thanks Debs! :)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Just a little update, I know it's been more than a week since the last proper one, and since then the thread has doubled in length from goatposting, but I just ordered my spray paint and LEDs today, the primer was ordered like on tuesday last week so it surely will be here soon, I'm still short one tin of humbrol, which I just recently messaged the seller about, so hopefully very soon I'll be putting up a proper update for you. Just a little catchy up-up for now, but watch this space!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Chapter 7: Spray it don't say it

And we're back! It's been like 3 weeks, but I've finally done enough new stuff to warrant an update. As some of you may remember, I managed to empty an entire 250ml can of primer in one go when I first tried priming my dalek, I wasn't used to spray cans, so I went a little too heavy on that, and had to order in more, but this was on the easter holiday weekend, so I had to wait until after then to order more primer to finish that job. At that stage the hemispheres, the underside of the eyestalk and the neck bars were all unprimed, and the skirt had been refilled and resanded in areas, as had the head, so the whole thing needed a pretty thorough repriming. I thought it might make life easier if I stuck all the hemispheres into holes on a big stip of masking tape to prime them, which is what I did, turned out the primer pooled up on the surface of the tape around the bottom of the hemispheres, and reacted to the adhesive on the tape, leaving a ticky mess that took forever to dry and kind of messed up the finish on some of them by sticking together. I did have to do another coat on all of them a few days later, but tbh it was probably better to have done that anyway, give a more robust base. Here is a picture of my dalek bits waiting to be sprayed:

This was actually the last time I sprayed over here, the other corner of the garden, by the shed, proved to get a lot more light and a lot less wind. It was also the last time I bothered putting paper down, subsequent sprayings I just sat things directly on the cardboard or on old bits of wood, it's one less thing to get caught in the wind. Also worth noting, the neck bars are all stuck upside down in a long sausage of blutac, I deliberately cut them too long so they could be stuck in there and I could spray the whole thing without having to take it out.

The fully primed hemispheres, after the second coat. THere are 56 of these things on a dalek, I never realised there were so many until I had to keep track of them for this project, you never think of there being that many, I think because they're always in tidy groups of four.

The main body of the dalek, after its second priming. I think I gave it like 2 or 3 coats, after the initial 1 very heavy coat from the other can. I still have a little primer left, because the second can was much bigger. Not pictured are the reprimed neck rings. The eye actually needed to be redone again at the same time as I redid the hemispheres, because I ended up spraying too much on the underside, and it pooled and formed a large gooey drop at the bottom, I had to remove that and sand it down and respray it. So the bottom of the eye was just endless problems. It's done now, though.

So that was last week, and around that same time I finally ordered in my spray paint. I ordered 3 cans, one of Tamiya TS17 gloss aluminium, one of Tamiya TS54 light metallic blue and one of TS44 brilliant blue. More on those other two in a later chapter, but yesterday afternoon I took the main dalek body, the neck bars still in their sausage and the neck rings out to the garden and sprayed them all with the TS17. I was very nervous, because I'd had trouble with using too much spray and running out, and these were about twice the price of the primer for less than half the amount. I took it pretty slowly to start with, then kind of built up a more confident rythm, everything was going pretty well except somehow I managed to spray too much on the second panel clockwise from the centre, it kind of pooled and looked untidy. This was kind of a panicky moment because at that point there were still areas that were a little thin on the paint, and I hadn't done the underside of the rings. I left it to dry for a few hours while I got my quarantine-permitted daily exercise walk, then when I got back I sanded down that one panel, resprayed it gently, did a recoat on the rest of it, did the underside of two of the three rings (the bottom of the bottom ring presses down on the top of the shoulder section, so I only gave it a light coating) and by the end of that spraying session I was pretty happy that it was fully coated. I still have a little left of the spray, I think, so I might give it one final light coat before I move on, but overall the silvering is done. It looks pretty nice, the photos don't quite capture that, it's quite subtly metalic, so in some pictures it looks grey still, but in hand it's very different to the primer colour.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

This is coming on very well, looks good with the silver coat. When you add the blue it's going to look amazing I think.

Also we have the same kitchen roll. Just thought I'd mention it.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Danoftardis wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:32 pm
This is coming on very well, looks good with the silver coat. When you add the blue it's going to look amazing I think.

I am aware that we share a kitchen roll between the two of us, I just pop into your kitchen any time I need a piece.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:33 pm
Danoftardis wrote:

I am aware that we share a kitchen roll between the two of us, I just pop into your kitchen any time I need a piece.
:o

Zut alors!

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

There’s a sitcom in this

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Danoftardis wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:35 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:33 pm
Danoftardis wrote:

:o

Zut alors!
do you mean "Zoot, a Lorz" ?