Re: Debbie Does Dalek: but this time Deborah actually does the dalek

Post by DalekCheese »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:41 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:35 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:33 pm

I am aware that we share a kitchen roll between the two of us, I just pop into your kitchen any time I need a piece.
:o

Zut alors!
do you mean "Zoot, a Lorz" ?

Sorry, do you mean “Zoot, and Lords”?

ImageImage

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

DalekCheese wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:45 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:41 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:35 pm

:o

Zut alors!
do you mean "Zoot, a Lorz" ?

Sorry, do you mean “Zoot, and Lords”?

ImageImage
Pretty sure he meant "Zoot and Lorde"

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

No, I think he meant “Zoot and Lord”

ImageImage

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

Je ne sais pas...

And I'm so making an STV sitcom about me, Deborah and kitchen roll. It can join our illustious TV shows 'The Deborah J Show' and 'Champagne and Cheese living with DalekCheese.'

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I'd watch that

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:02 am
Chapter 7: Spray it don't say it
This was actually the last time I sprayed over here, the other corner of the garden, by the shed, proved to get a lot more light and a lot less wind. It was also the last time I bothered putting paper down, subsequent sprayings I just sat things directly on the cardboard or on old bits of wood, it's one less thing to get caught in the wind. Also worth noting, the neck bars are all stuck upside down in a long sausage of blutac, I deliberately cut them too long so they could be stuck in there and I could spray the whole thing without having to take it out.
I have a special Dalek spray booth. It's a large cardboard box, cut so that it's open on two sides. I find it helps me to get a more even finish, I think because it contains the spray. It also shields the painted parts from wind and dust.

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

By the way, your Dalek is beginning to look really good. When I look back at how it was when you found it, you've done a fantastic job.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Fincon1 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:36 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:02 am
Chapter 7: Spray it don't say it
This was actually the last time I sprayed over here, the other corner of the garden, by the shed, proved to get a lot more light and a lot less wind. It was also the last time I bothered putting paper down, subsequent sprayings I just sat things directly on the cardboard or on old bits of wood, it's one less thing to get caught in the wind. Also worth noting, the neck bars are all stuck upside down in a long sausage of blutac, I deliberately cut them too long so they could be stuck in there and I could spray the whole thing without having to take it out.
I have a special Dalek spray booth. It's a large cardboard box, cut so that it's open on two sides. I find it helps me to get a more even finish, I think because it contains the spray. It also shields the painted parts from wind and dust.
That sounds good, dust is kind of the only problem I've had with my spraying, though it's not relly been a big problem, I'm able to clear it without spoiling the finish. I'm Really pleased with how the whole thing has gone, I'm putting together an update just now, I got some more work done today and it went really well, so check back in for that.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

I have to say, I’m incredibly impressed with what a nice job you’re doing of this given your lack of previous experience.

Oh, could you just tell the discord I likely won’t be on till Thursday.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Chapter 8: Spray it like you mean it

After the success spraying in the silver I was eager to do more spraying. The next item in the job was the base. I spent a fair while last night masking off the top of the dalek, I stuck on a very thick plastic bag, held down to the bottom of the skirt with masking tape, trimmed to the shape of the bottom of the skirt, as tidy as I could. I popped it up on top of a yoghurt pot so I could get right down to the bottom without sticking it to the cardboard and spoiling the finish. The base is painted in TS44 Brilliant Blue, and is the only area on the dalek to use this colour, so I was able to go in a little more generous with it. got a lovely smooth glossy finish after like 3 coats, a little extra partial coat at the end on one side where it seemed a bit thin.

Of course the real moment of truth was when I took the tape and bag off... It turned out pretty great. the edges are all pretty darn crisp, I had one bit of spillage right at the front, cleaning it up has stripped it back to the primer, but it's so small a tiny dot of aluminium brush-on paint will cover that. If it ever arrives, it's the only thing I'm still waiting on.

Very pleased with today's work, hopefully I'll get the last of the spraying done very soon.