3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

Finally got the last two bottles of fluorescent airbrush paint I've been waiting on this afternoon, so all the new figures are now fully painted.

I may end up having to do an Argolin figure at some point in the future just because I can't think of anything else to use three big bottles of day-glo yellow, orange, and green paint on.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I really like the screen-accurate paintwork on the Raston, with the shiny head and the matte finish body. :)

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Finally finished the video that I started recording way back in March in order to show off my new printer and figures #29-32. There shouldn't really be any new information in here, but if you want to see what some of them look like (sort of) in action, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUtBBTSm1iM

There's also a brief shot at the very end of my first test print Emperor Dalek with light up LED action. This is the mostly unmodified Edward Felix version with some minimal LED supports and the new base plate added. Now that this video is finally off my plate, hopefully I'll get a chance to work on v2.0 tomorrow, which will include the movable light-up eyestalk, removable battle damage plates and false "burnt out dalek guts" interior.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

033 - Zero Cabinet
Beta: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h51lYu ... 8Al3xCJoDx
Rough:https://www.tinkercad.com/things/l1JkD8VOseD

Somebody on my facebook group asked the other day if I could make a 3D Printable roundel, which ended up being way harder than it looked. (EDIT: Thanks to BoundryHopper over on GB for an even better roundel design that I've now swapped out for my own.) Of course, just a roundel alone is boring, so I decided to make something to put the roundels on (without building an entire console room) hence the Zero Cabinet.

This one may be a bit tricky to print in regular filament since it has a lot of curved surfaces. The only completely flat bits are the two ends. This comes in two variants depending on whether you want to print it solid or with the roundels as a separate slot-in pieces, so you can make them semi-transparent.

Note, thatI had to flub the dimensions slightly so that you could actually fit the Peter Davison's figure inside it. I made it as snug as I could, but due to the way his arms are positioned I had to make it wider, which proportionally increased the overall dimensions by somewhere around 7 to 10%.
It's not too far off, but if you want a truly screen accurate version, you may have to shrink it a bit in your slicer software.

Last edited by 3DPrintingDoctorWho on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

greeneggsandspam

Post by greeneggsandspam »

I remember the zero cabinet
Eggs gon give it to ya

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Updated the Zero Cabinet with a vastly improved roundel design created by Boundry Hopper over on Gallifrey Base.

In addition to just plain looking better, the roundels are also flatter than my original version, which means that the holes for mounting them no longer go all the way through the box in some places, so if you plan on printing the roundels separately you won't be able to see them from inside the cabinet, which makes the design more screen-accurate. (Being thinner, they'll also be a little more transparent if you're printing out of Natural PLA or PETG, and should look really crisp and clean if you print directly on a glass plate with no raft.)

3DPrintingDoctorWho

REMIX001 - Battle Damage Emperor Dalek
Beta: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_swhbj ... ThxmMEVuMo
Rough: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/h7xBYs7DAYd

I've finally finished work on the Battle Damage Emperor Dalek, which can be downloaded and printed from the links above. Not only does this version come with LED supports, the triangular dais, and a movable eyestalk, it has removable slot-in 'Battle Damage' panels that will let you expose the destroyed mutant and burnt out wiring inside. (You have to provide your own tubes and wires, but I've included mounting holes for everything. You can use regular old 22 AWC wire or even printer filament straight off the roll for the tubing, and a few stretched out random width springs from the hardware store should nicely mimic the slinky-style wiring used inside)

I've also added an alternate split version of the corner plinth that should fit on resin printers (Though for resin printing you'll still need at least a Moai 130 or something bigger to print the skirt.)

Special thanks to Edward Felix on my Facebook group for designing the original that this remix was based on.

You'll notice this figure is labeled REMIX001, and I'll be adding this figure as well as a whole bunch that James Lee has been busy working on (including Kronos, a Draconian, Chameleon, Ice Lord, and more!) to a brand new section of my website that will take over for the old Guest templates section. Even though I always try to give fair attribution, I want to keep these particular figures separate and distinct from my own designs, because in some cases, people may actually be selling these and I don't want people to get confused.

Unfortunately, this may take some time, as I've been dealing with some pretty painful carpal tunnel issues, so I'm having to step back from doing too much figure design or anything else that require extensive use of the keyboard and mouse.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Wow! That's very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the print out.

TheOnComingStorm

Post by TheOnComingStorm »

I am so impressed with the work people are designing. Is there anyone who is making custom heads? I would love to see what you have made. I really want to make a Jackie Tyler head....no idea where to start!