3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

DalekCheese

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by DalekCheese »

Christ alive. I hope things get better for you. Thank you for continuing to update the little spacemen for us in spite of it all!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Sorry to hear you're in the thick of it. I'm in Southern California and we haven't gotten it nearly as bad as people up north, but wild fires have made the skies look like they were directed by Ridley Scott.

Theta Sigma

Post by Theta Sigma »

It's surreal. Like This Is The End made real. :shock:

As a right-coaster, we've come through a rough patch, and it's still rough, but you guys out there have that and even more now. I really hope things improve enough after the fires are put down. There has to be something to look forward to. Something...
Formerly Thete, and Theta Sigma of DWT fora past...

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

And by the way, that new figure looks fantastic.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

The air is finally starting to clear up and even though it's supposed to get up to over 100F again, we got a tiny taste of fall weather.
For the first time in months it's been almost... pleasant.

Not that I would know anything about that, since I've been indoors hard at work on a much needed top-to-bottom facelift of the https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com website.

After three years, a lot has changed; not only in terms of 3D printing technology but also how the project runs. It's become a lot more of a collaborative effort, and while the site is still primarily for my own designs, I wanted to acknowledge how much other people are contributing, especially since my own figure production is slowing down while a lot of new designers are stepping up.

I'm still working on the most important part of the update, which is the new Remixes and Guest Designs section. This used to be the "Guest Templates" section, but I never really maintained it properly, and since I'm now spending almost as much time remixing other designers figures as I am working on my own original stuff, I decided it would be a good idea to split that out and keep it separate.
This is where the Battle Damage Dalek Emperor and Kronos designs are going to go, as soon as I get them both in a publishable state.

Unfortunately, work on the website came to a screeching halt when someone was discovered selling figures printed from my designs on eBay. Of course, this happened while I was stuck at work behind the company firewall, so he'd already managed to sell two of them for close to £100 before I could catch up with him and tell him to cease and desist.

He was apologetic about it afterwards and took the rest of the items down immediately, saying he didn't know and just downloaded a whole bunch of Doctor Who files off the internet. Considering that he had a large number of his own customs up there as well, I believe he was telling the truth. Still, I wasn't pleased, and spent the rest of the night debating about whether or not I should just take down my TinkerCAD links altogether. On one hand, it's one of the main ways people who aren't active in the customizing community find my stuff, but on the other, we've got all these new STL search engine cropping up that do nothing but mine Thingiverse, TinkerCAD and a few other sites for files, and they don't always show the accompanying author's information or licensing status.

Eventually, I settled on a compromise, so every single one of my TinkerCAD projects now contains a rather large "Non-Commercial Use Only" sign built into the design and a warning slide on the item description page. I can't really make it any more obvious than that. We'll see what happens from here.

If anybody else decides to press their luck or claim ignorance that they didn't know they weren't supposed to sell my stuff, my next step will definitely be to kill the TinkerCAD links off for good.
That'll be unfortunate, but at least I can keep a tighter lid on the Google Drive files, and if somebody really decides to cause problems (by fighting me on takedown requests) the next step after than would be to actually make the Google Drive files private, and force people to join my facebook group or PM me here or on Gallifrey Base to be "screened" before I give them a private link to get in.

That would be a massive hassle and take a lot of the fun out of it, but if push comes to shove, I'll do it, if it's the only way to keep the project going and still let as many well-meaning fans as I can participate. Still, fingers crossed it'll never come to that. In the entire three years this project has been active, this is only the first or second time something like this has happened, and it got sorted out in a matter of hours. So I'm pretty impressed with how responsible everyone has been so far.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Sorry to hear about the eBay situation.

Though I'll confess I'm curious who it was so I can check out the originals he's selling. :)

Still, nice solution on the sign.

One of these days I swear I'm going to buy myself a resin printer. Really. Honestly.

Mastersclanger

Post by Mastersclanger »

Hello, I'm not very familiar with 3D printing so was wondering if you could answer this question.
After the item is printed out how would you describe the feel of the material such as does it feel like a lego piece or something else, looking forward to any replies. :)

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Mastersclanger wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:34 pm
Hello, I'm not very familiar with 3D printing so was wondering if you could answer this question.
After the item is printed out how would you describe the feel of the material such as does it feel like a lego piece or something else, looking forward to any replies. :)
I’ll answer, but don’t take my word for it- this is just because 3DPDW isn’t on too often.
Resin prints feel like... well... resin. So a kind of fairly softish plastic.
I believe that you can make it harder but that all sounds quite technical.

Mastersclanger

Post by Mastersclanger »

DalekCheese wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:40 pm
Mastersclanger wrote:
I’ll answer, but don’t take my word for it- this is just because 3DPDW isn’t on too often.
Resin prints feel like... well... resin. So a kind of fairly softish plastic.
I believe that you can make it harder but that all sounds quite technical.
Thank you for the reply, it is just that it looks like a lego texture and I thought that it might have been the same material, however yes I do know what resin feels like. Mystery solved.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

Mastersclanger wrote:
Well, filament printing is quite rough because of all the layer lines, so even after painted, you're mainly going to be feeling the ridges. (It's also incredibly light weight)

3D printer resin is extremely hard and dense, like glass. It doesn't have any give or compression to it whatsoever.
You could print Lego bricks out of it, but you wouldn't be able to stack them together because Lego relies on the studs partially compressing the thinner walls inside the brick.

However, there are different types of resin and if you mix the regular stuff 50/50% with a flexible resin like Sirayatech Tenacious, you get a material that starts to behave more like the vinyl used in action figures. Extremely thin pieces like fingers will bend, but will slowly return back to their original position. Even so, the material still has no compression, only bend, so it'll still feel about the same as regular resin.