3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Mastersclanger

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by Mastersclanger »

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:33 am
Mastersclanger wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:34 pm
Hello, I'm not very familiar with 3D printing so was wondering if you could answer this question.
After the item is printed out how would you describe the feel of the material such as does it feel like a lego piece or something else, looking forward to any replies. :)
Well, filament printing is quite rough because of all the layer lines, so even after painted, you're mainly going to be feeling the ridges. (It's also incredibly light weight)

3D printer resin is extremely hard and dense, like glass. It doesn't have any give or compression to it whatsoever.
You could print Lego bricks out of it, but you wouldn't be able to stack them together because Lego relies on the studs partially compressing the thinner walls inside the brick.

However, there are different types of resin and if you mix the regular stuff 50/50% with a flexible resin like Sirayatech Tenacious, you get a material that starts to behave more like the vinyl used in action figures. Extremely thin pieces like fingers will bend, but will slowly return back to their original position. Even so, the material still has no compression, only bend, so it'll still feel about the same as regular resin.
That makes a lot of sense, basically I only wanted to know as the family have an old figure like a large doll and would like a replacement arm made for it to restore it to it's former glory. It has been in my family for decades and other than the arm is in perfect shape, thanks again for the reply.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

Things I'm supposed to be working on:
■ Fixing my primary 3D Printer.
■ Fixing my backup 3D Printer.
■ Finishing up the Remixes & Guest Templates section of the website.
■ Fixing the removable panels on the Battle Damage Dalek Emperor so they actually work as intended.
■ Second round test printing on Kronos.
■ First round test printing on the updated SLA-compatible Kroton.
■ Adding articulation to the 12 or so other figures that James Lee has made in just the last 6 months.
■ Working on two different YouTube videos that I started 4 months ago.
■ Printing and assembling the last of the custom figures I need to get mailed off to my nieces and nephews before Christmas.
■ Finishing up the painting and assembling of the dozen or so figures I had to stop working on 6 months ago because it's been too hot to work in the garage.

What I'm actually working on:

■ Aggedor.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

That's amazing. Interesting to think how far the modeling has come since the early days of the quark.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

I managed to knock a few important tasks off my to-do list.
I now have two functional printers again, and the updated Kroton and Kronos designs are both looking gorgeous.
These are the unpainted pieces fresh off the printer and just laid in place for example. I still need to paint, assemble, and perform final articulation testing, but everything's looking pretty good from this side of things.

In other news, after yet another eBay incident, I've made the decision to pull the plug on all my TinkerCAD designs.
You can still direct download all the files from my https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/ website, and if you want to edit them in TinkerCAD, you can import the STL files manually. The only thing you can't do is use the "unmerge" feature to disassemble some of my figures into their component parts, but considering that I'm now alternating between TinkerCAD and MeshMixer for most of my figures which locks them into solid shapes anyways, the loss should be minimal.

Mainly, what disabling the TinkerCAD links do is force people to get the templates from my site, where they must scroll past all my "DON'T SELL THIS STUFF ON EBAY, DAMMIT!" warnings. The designs will no longer show up in STL search engines, which sadly means some casual whovians might miss out on randomly stumbling across them, but I feel like my project has enough of a presence on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and most of the major Doctor Who forums, that if somebody is interested in 3D printing figures, they can follow the trail of breadcrumbs to my website.
Hopefully it'll also discourage less reputable folks from just trolling for designs that they know they can churn out quick and turn a profit selling on eBay.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Sad move, but a smart one.

And dayum! Nice work on the two models. I particularly love Kronos.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Season's Greetings everyone!