3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:24 am

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:46 pm
Which resin printer do you have?
Somewhat embarrassing story, I actually have... or will have... two of them.

Amazon Prime Day had a great lightning sale on the Anycubic Photon for $300, which is an excellent but smaller-sized printer (max print area is 4.5" x 2.5" x 6") that several of the people in my Facebook group use and swear by.

Apparently though, I had completely forgotten about an earlier bid I'd put in on eBay for a Moai 130; which has a 5.11" x 5.11" x 7.08" print area and up until a year ago was the biggest and best resolution home resin printer money could buy. (It's still very close to top of the line, and the improved model costs a whopping $4000, so that was never going to happen.) I've bid on them a few times before, but even used ones never seem to go for less than $1000, and I had only bid $800 for a completely assembled unit that also came with a couple hundred dollars worth of resin.

If I'd had the slightest recollection that I'd bid on the Moai, I probably would have cancelled my bid or returned the Anycubic, but the notification that the auction was ending came in a couple of days after I'd already unboxed and started printing with the Anycubic, which also just happened to be a day when I was absolutely swamped with multiple disasters at work (including, among other things, a server failure and a 2-hour long fire alarm malfunction) so I didn't even get a chance to look at my phone until I got home that evening and saw multiple alerts telling me I was winning and had won the auction.

So yeah... that one's going to be a bit hard to explain to the wife when it arrives. :oops:
I'm kind of hoping it comes when she's not home and I can quietly sneak it into a corner and then pretend I've bought it a couple of months from now when the coast is clear. :? :? :?

I'm still going to keep my HD Maker Ultimate filament printer since there are some figures that just don't make sense to print out of resin, especially during the initial prototyping phase (plus I have an entire 55 gallon tote full filament), but the SD Maker Select filament printer will be going up on eBay (ideally once I get it fully operational again), probably sometime in early September once I get back from holiday, along with a whole bunch of my prototype figures, as I intend to reprint everything that I possibly can out of resin, and need to free up the shelf space.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Ha! That's a funny story. Along the lines of "Never eBay while drunk," except everything you did was completely sober. Unless you count being drunk on the idea of printing your own Voord figure at long last!

You know, you could easily put that resin printer back up on eBay and no one will be the wiser. ;)
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:46 am

The Rutan came out way too dark using the transparent green resin that came with the printer, so I've mixed it with some clear resin to hopefully lighten the next print. I've gone back and almost complete new redesigned the original figure to eliminate the old tentacle "key" (which didn't work at all) in favor of a concealed button on the front like I used on the Keller Machine.

I've also eliminated the tentacle arms on the side, at least on the resin print version, since, as I feared, my old articulation methods do not work in resin since there's so little flexibility after printing.

This is going to make reprinting some of the other figures extremely awkward. I may have to pick and choose my battles, and only print certain parts out of resin, or create entirely different alternate construction methods for both types.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:59 am

Sympathy. At least you’ve got a very nice Quark :D
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.

Emperor Omega

Post by Emperor Omega » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:22 pm

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:46 am
[GASP] Are those... segments of the Key to Time?! Awesome!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Just some notes on my own Resin Rutan.

I had them print it in a light green, and it looked great.

I had to do some filing to get the side tentacles to fit, but they did fit eventually. I can see losing them completely, though, doesn't ruin the design.

The key isn't not useless, it just takes some finagling, but I can't argue that a button up front would be easier.

p.s. Does your Key to Time come with a tracker? :)

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:36 am

No tracker on the Key to Time... yet. But now that I know that my resin printer can easily print at that scale, I'll be creating a tracker for the next build.

I received a big package in the mail today. No, it isn't the Moai 130 I was expecting, it was an Auton head and Wheel style Cybermat!
While I mainly just want to show off my purchases, at some point in the coming weeks, I'll be reprinting/redesigning the gun hand, which is 3D printed. I have plans to eventually make a stand-alone "fit over the top of your real hand" version at some point, though who knows when that will occur. (The next local Doctor Who event is August 17th, but I'm somewhat doubtful I can pull it off in the time remaining.)

I also plan on using this Cybermat as a reference to create a full-sized 3D printable replica, similar to the old vacuform model kits, but that can also be easily motorized. There's currently a Cybermat model up on Thingiverse, but the proportions aren't quite right and it needs to be significantly more organic looking. (Even though I'm almost positive the original Wheel props were created from old aluminum dry goods scoops with the handles cut off)

In other news, I'm still working on the light-up Rutan v3.0.
I’m still learning the ins and outs of resin printing, and the auto framework that comes with the AnyCubic is rubbish.
Still, the main flaw with this one is that I made the button to activate the LED brick several millimeters too short, and the hole far too tight, which means I practically had to destroy both to get it out again, which is all on me. The resin was also still far too dark for my liking, but I plan on resetting again tomorrow.

On the plus side, at this rate, I'm going to have a ton of not-quite perfect prototypes to put up on eBay in another month or so.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 pm

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:36 am

In other news, I'm still working on the light-up Rutan v3.0.
I’m still learning the ins and outs of resin printing, and the auto framework that comes with the AnyCubic is rubbish.
Still, the main flaw with this one is that I made the button to activate the LED brick several millimeters too short, and the hole far too tight, which means I practically had to destroy both to get it out again, which is all on me. The resin was also still far too dark for my liking, but I plan on resetting again tomorrow.

On the plus side, at this rate, I'm going to have a ton of not-quite perfect prototypes to put up on eBay in another month or so.
Honestly, but for the light button, that's a perfectly good figure you have there,

It doesn't look too dark with the light behind it, and you'll probably want to do some basic paintwork on the model anyway to give it the basic textures of the original. I did on mine.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:19 pm

In other not-news, I've also asked the creator of that "Resolution" Dalek if he'd share the model with me, but so far no luck.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 pm

After 5 prints I'm finally happy with the rebuilt Rutan (even though I think one of the tentacles may have put a slight puncture in my FEP vat.) The files have been updated on Google Drive, and here's a video of of me showing off the LED function:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgcXu9XP5Q

I ended up using more or less the same mix of green and clear resin as last time, but I tweaked the internal cavity to make the top part more domed, which means it's not as thick and the LED light can bounce around a bit more, distributing it better.