3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

skifflebits

Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by skifflebits » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Nice!

How big do you anticipate the sonic sunglasses being when it's all over? Is there a danger of them being too small to print?
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:41 am

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:20 pm
How big do you anticipate the sonic sunglasses being when it's all over? Is there a danger of them being too small to print?
I doubt they will print on anything but a resin printer, but they printed fine for me. I intend to give them another go very shortly once my current print job is done.

In other news, I've finished the Panel 4 retrofit. Now I just need to reprint both the panel and the cylinders.

I really wish I'd thought of this several months ago, since one of the big problems with this particular panel was that the recesses for the old cylinders were so close to the edge they left it prone to cracking. This version should be sturdier with the added benefit of allowing the cylinders to spin much easier. I've split the date/time dials up into numbered pairs. While it may be possible to split off into single digit dials, something tells me these cylinders may spin a bit *too* freely, so it may be hard to keep them all facing the right way and on the date that you want.

I'll be using 1.5mm brass rods as the axles for my destination cylinders, since they're a standard size available at most hobby stores and shouldn't flex or bend too much. They're also the same diameter around as a toothpick, and maybe a thin wire coat hanger, so it should be pretty easy for anyone to find something around their home that will work for this part of the build.

For now, the changes are up on TinkerCAD. Once I'm certain everything works as intended, I'll look into updating the Beta.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 am

Some successes and several failures printing within the last week. I've got a trio of Capaldi guitars and a gloriously bright and shiny Dalek Transmat to show for my efforts, but not much else that managed to stay in one piece.

ImageImage
The revised panel 4 of the McGann console had some issues spinning the destination cylinders because they aren't round or perfectly lined up along the central axis, so the corners were hitting obstructions as they rotated. They still worked better than the previous versions, but I couldn't get more than about 1.5 turns out of them once they were slotted in place. To be safe, I've increased the gap on all sides by at least one mm (more on the back and bottom) and slightly lowered the position of the rod, which should help, but does put me dangerously close to the edge in some places. Fingers crossed that I don't end up with a console top that's structurally weak or prone to cracking as soon as any pressure is applied to it. I've got it reprinting now, and barring any misprints, it should be done by tomorrow. (One benefit of resin printing is that print time is entirely dependent on the height of the object so something fairly short and flat like the console only takes about 8 hrs to print, so I'm saving literally days of print time for some of my models.)

While I've had wonderful results printing solid pieces, I've run into all sorts of problems trying to print anything with functional joints.

Normal resin is quite hard and inflexible like glass, and also like glass, it tends to snap or break off into shards if you apply too much pressure to it. None of my snap together parts were working, no matter how much I shaved them down, and while I came up with a rather unsatisfying work-around for rotational shoulder joints, there's nothing I can do for knees, elbows, and other hinged pieces other than making them flat slot-together with a hole in the middle and securing them from the side with a 2mm metal screw which can then by manually hidden after assembly by additional resin or paint.

I may have stumbled across a permanent solution though....

There's this new "Tenacious" resin made by Siraya Tech that is super-flexible and stretchable like rubber if used as a resin by itself, but it can also be used as an additive to regular resin which improves both flexibility and durability of prints and can reportedly produce results fairly close to vinyl in terms of squishiness and elasticity.

It's such a new product that there isn't a lot of documentation out there on what percentage to mix in to get what consistency (I've heard people recommending 33%, but I'm going to start lower and work my way up.) It's twice as expensive as regular resin, but if it works the way people say it does then it will be worth every last penny, since it means all my previous templates are still printable without alteration *and* would also have flexible movement very similar to real Character Options figures, which are just bendable enough that you can pop heads on and off and put weapons into their hands. If this works, I could literally have the best of both worlds and combine all the flexibility and impact resistance of filament printing with the speed, detail, and durability of resin!

Once I'm done reprinting the console in Maroon, I'm going to give this stuff a go with the Exxilon Root. I've been trying to print this figure all week long, and the individual pieces look gorgeous, but either the plugs or plug holes break every time I try to snap the body segments together. Hopefully, this will fix that.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:10 am

The Siraya Tech flexible resin tests were a success, though sadly, the degree of flexibility is inversely proportional to the thickness of the part. A 50/50% mixture seems to be the highest I can go before the part starts becoming see-through, and even then, I only get a small amount of flex on parts that are 3mm or less. Anything else thicker than that is completely rock solid.

While it's frustrating not to be able to go full Gumby on my figures, 3mm is at least enough leeway that I can continue using a variation on my old pop-and-lock plug design to keep creating snap-together figures that don't require visible screws or splitting the pieces down the middle. Since the degree of flexibility depends on the thickness, the 50/50% mixture approximates the durability and flexibility of Character Options limbs, where the upper parts of the arms are solid, but the fingers have just enough bend to them that you can put accessories in their hands and they can grip them. While small pieces (like fingers) will still snap off if you bend them too far, you have to work pretty hard to break them, and it'll be long past the point where any other 3D printed material (except maybe Ninja Flex) would have self-destructed.

In my book, the increased durability is well worth the extra expense and headache of keeping track of a third printing variable, especially for figures like the Zarbi, Wirrn, and Larvae Gun that have long spindly protuberances that can easily snap after even a short fall off a shelf.

I've posted the final version of the Exxilon Root to Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1USMsY ... TBZW-ZD7dy

This contains 3 different sets of templates, depending on whether you're printing filament, solid resin, or a flexible resin mix.

This is an example of how most of my template packages will be formatted from now on. The Templates page on my website now has a big table up at the top that better indicates which figures are okay to print in which methods. All the ones without snap-in-place parts should be fine for regular resin, but the rest will require at least a small amount of tweaking on my part to make printable.

Now that the weather's starting to get a bit nicer, I can finally paint out in the garage again. I just gave the TV Movie console it's first coat this afternoon.
I have also begun exporting the final versions of the STL files out of TinkerCAD and prepping them for upload, along with updating the template instructions on the website. Just the pre-printing component checklist alone is longer than most instructions for the other figures, and I haven't even gotten to the actual printing/color guide yet. It's got so many complex bells and whistles on it, it's hard to remember exactly what order everything should be printed and assembled in. Luckily, I made a few videos along the way which explain some of the trickier bits.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:39 am

I am now 99.99% done with painting. Unfortunately, I just realized I didn’t print the tiny little brass lamp shade for the banker's light (either that, or I lost it.)

Of course, this piece attaches to the single most fiddly part of the console. Since it's the only external light in the design, to make it work, you have to snake your LED light string up through the floor and base of the console, then snip off the very end of the string so you can shove the wires through the lamp shade part and a tiny 0.14mm aluminum tube and then reattach them on the other side (which must be lined up perfectly.) This bit will have to be printed and placed before I can place any of the other LEDs.

I also need to reprint the blue telephone insulator lights in transparent blue resin, but that part can be done after everything else is completed.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:31 am

I've ended up with almost zero free time over the last several weeks, but my printer has been busy while I've been sidelined with other problems.

I finally got around to printing the Toymaker’s Robot, and a slightly revised Servo Robot, but I’m still having trouble fine tuning joints and slot-in parts for resin.

Resin has a tendency to shrink and some brands are worse than others. Not to mention that every machine is slightly different and even the age and intensity of the LCD screen and how fresh you FEP liner is can cause significant differences between prints.

I'm going to have to resize the holes and reprint, at least for the legs and crotch since the slots are far too narrow to cram them in place, at least not without significant sanding. I'm also thinking that I may have to scrap some hinge joints entirely, and start making use of concealed 2M screws or metal rods than can then be covered over with resin to conceal them.

On the plus side, the antenna to turn on and off the countdown display works perfectly... even if the gobo itself does not (this isn't a huge loss, since the printed ones I'm using for the Console Room scanner work just fine).

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Nice! Have you considered making a dalek console from The Dead Planet?
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 am

DalekCheese wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:03 pm
Nice! Have you considered making a dalek console from The Dead Planet?
Maybe at some distant point in the future, but props aren't as much my thing, especially as I've still got well over 50 monsters left on my to-do list. There are a couple of designers in my facebook group though which are starting to branch out more in that direction. One of them is working on a complete Dalek Assembly Line from Power of the Daleks that looks amazing. I can hardly wait to see it actually printed and put together.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm

I'm curious to see that to-do list.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:38 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm
I'm curious to see that to-do list.
As am I.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.