Re: 3D Printing Doctor Who - Print and paint your own 5.5" scale customs

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:48 am

DalekCheese wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:38 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm
I'm curious to see that to-do list.
As am I.
It's the 3rd post on the first page of this thread: http://doctorwhotoys.net/forum/viewtopi ... &t=14#p156
As well as on the project website: https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/todolist.html

The list is somewhat fluid as technology improves and I hone my skills and discover new techniques and tools.

I'd say I'm now on the cusp of possibly being able to do some of those "nope list" humanoid figures, now that I have a resin printer, some slightly better face generation software, and a better grasp of using Meshmixer, but there's still a major bottleneck when it comes to TinkerCAD and importing high-polygon shapes. Additionally, the flexible resin that I've been using as an additive has the negative side-effect of washing out the finer surface details when printing, making the final print quality not much better than what comes off a standard filament printer.

I'll have to see how the Polly Wright figure turns out once I finish tinkering with it, but I suspect if I'm able to do faces at all, they'll have to be very generic non-actor specific ones like a Movellan, Drahvin, Ogron, Vogan, or Primoid. (Though I'm not going to build any of those from scratch myself. I'd have to find a fairly close premade body that somebody else designed, and then add bits and resculpt them in Meshmixer until it looks close enough to the Doctor Who monster in question.)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:06 am

Yeah, that list is pretty extensive. Very curious to see what you'll pick next. And curious if you can make a more human-like model print.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 pm

The 8th Doctor TV Movie TARDIS Console Room Playset is finally completed!
Here's an extremely dramatic video showing all the (mostly) working bits in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEHEcY_ZqmM

Sadly, this is something of a bittersweet victory because disaster struck during the final moments of assembly. The wires for the internal LED system snapped, and in the absolute worst place possible (right at the base of the first LED, where there was no hope of reattaching the wire further along, since everything was encased in clear resin) so all my hard work making the control panel elements light up were wasted.

At least the overhead light gives the time rotor a bit of it's distinctive bluish purple hue, but it's still nowhere near as spectacular as it could be.

I will probably go back and try to print another one at some point in the future, but this console has been almost a year of my life, and for now, I just want to move on.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:30 pm

:o That's amazing! The console is brilliantly detailed, this is definitely motivating me even more to get a 3D printer.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 pm

That's gorgeous. Sorry to hear about the broken LEDs, but it's an amazing work even without them.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:02 am

I know I hinted earlier that my next figure would be the Nucleus of the Swarm, but I need something a little less taxing to decompress after my last couple of builds, so the good old Mk. VII Robotic Cleaner, it is.

I'm fairly certain I won't be able to make this one remote controlled like the War Machine, since the torso is too narrow, but I'm hoping there will be enough room for headlights and a small Lego pull-back motor in the base. I also plan on giving it an optional little wheelie bin to drag along behind it with a Yellow Kang foot surreptitiously hanging out the back.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:50 am

I've updated the Keller Machine for SLA printing. Google Drive files have been updated:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CCvH7 ... FiAPrrCylU

The new version has improved surface detail and an optional removable upper dome, so you can peer in at the exposed mind parasite (which now has an eyeball) as they do in Episode 6.

I've also made some minor tweaks to the Toymaker Robot, and will probably upload those later.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 am

I've been barely functional with the mother of all headaches most of this week, so I'm finally getting back to work on the Mk. VII Robotic Cleaner.

The accordion arms proved to be a bit more complicated than originally anticipated. I had hoped to make the central arm articulated to the point that it could fold back into resting position (I even duplicated the little cat flap piece directly below the arm that accommodates the claw) but there's no way to do that with the accordion bit as a solid lump of material, at least not without adding some very ugly gaps and ruining the screen accuracy of the model.

So, if it comes down to a choice between a Cleaner that can tuck it's claw in, and one that can reach up and throttle a 5.5" scale Doctor, I think the choice is pretty clear. Maybe I'll make an alternate arm later that's in the resting position for people who want one of each.