Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

CaptainJimiPie

Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Post by CaptainJimiPie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Got any tips for new customisers? Or perhaps you are a new customiser and need a question answered!

Post it here!

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Re: Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi! Just a couple of questions in case I manage to pick up the figures I need to do the custom:

Do the Bill and Clara figures have pegs on the head or the body?

And does anyone know if Bill's hair is separate to her head or if it's all one sculpt? I can't quite work it out myself...

SJF

Post by SJF » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 pm

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:02 pm
Hi! Just a couple of questions in case I manage to pick up the figures I need to do the custom:

Do the Bill and Clara figures have pegs on the head or the body?

And does anyone know if Bill's hair is separate to her head or if it's all one sculpt? I can't quite work it out myself...

Clara has a peg that plugs into both the body and the head.

Bill’s hair is indeed a separate piece, however a bit of it is part of the Headsculpt (think Library River)

I’m fairly certain that Bill’s Head doesn’t “pop off” like Clara’s can, but I can’t say I want to try it.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:22 pm

QUESTION: Someone on GB posted that there's a 3D-printable Dark Eyes sonic screwdriver and satchel in scale with the CO figures out there somewhere. Does anyone know where to find it? Google so far has failed me.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

SJF

Post by SJF » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:34 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:22 pm
QUESTION: Someone on GB posted that there's a 3D-printable Dark Eyes sonic screwdriver and satchel in scale with the CO figures out there somewhere. Does anyone know where to find it? Google so far has failed me.
The Satchel comes with one of the Primeval Connor Temple Figures. Not sure about the Dark Eyes Sonic. I’m gonna wait for the Big Finish exclusive sets to be revealed before I try and track a satchel down just in case, though it’ll probably just be a paint variant.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:35 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:22 pm
https://www.shapeways.com/product/38DBJ ... d=41920580

This is the screwdriver they may have been talking about.

joe38658

Post by joe38658 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:43 am

So, I want to get back into making custom Doctor Who figures which I havent done in like 4 years. When I did I used acrylic paints but it would always chip or when I touch it after it dried it would leave like a powder residue on my hands. So a few questions.

1. What paint would you recommend and where can you get it? Preferably stuff that isnt like £10 for each individual colour.

2. Ive heard of like this spray stuff that preserves paint? A sealer I think its called, like you get it in matte and glossy. Do you spray it with something like that after?

3. Are you ment to just not move the figures after youve painted them cuz paint would rub off on joints and ive always wondered how people move them and the paint doesnt come off (although paint coming off at joints happens with figures they actually sell like at B&M)

4. What is that clay stuff people use to sculpt? Ive never knew what that is or where to find it

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:52 am

joe38658 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:43 am
So, I want to get back into making custom Doctor Who figures which I havent done in like 4 years. When I did I used acrylic paints but it would always chip or when I touch it after it dried it would leave like a powder residue on my hands. So a few questions.

1. What paint would you recommend and where can you get it? Preferably stuff that isnt like £10 for each individual colour.

2. Ive heard of like this spray stuff that preserves paint? A sealer I think its called, like you get it in matte and glossy. Do you spray it with something like that after?

3. Are you ment to just not move the figures after youve painted them cuz paint would rub off on joints and ive always wondered how people move them and the paint doesnt come off (although paint coming off at joints happens with figures they actually sell like at B&M)

4. What is that clay stuff people use to sculpt? Ive never knew what that is or where to find it
I find tamiya paints are pretty good, they're about £4 a colour on Amazon but you get quite a lot. Be aware that there is a lot more to painting than just painting the colour, you will probably have to sand and/or prime your model first.

Yes sealer is a thing and you can use it if you want, may help to preserve the paint. Just be aware of how it will affect the finish of the model.

Best to paint things disassembled, and never apply paint in very thick coats to avoid it coming off.

Milliput is the clay stuff, amazon or hobbycraft are your friends.

joe38658

Post by joe38658 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:43 am

Im making a Series 10 Simm Master using a broken regenerated Simm figure (Yana's body), Ive removed the waistcoat and neck thingy.
Im thinking of either swapping the arms or putting the head on a different body and Im open to suggestions but was thinking of putting the head on an old kinda broken Series 1 Auton. Does anybody know what kind of connection the head of the Auton has and the connection of the Auton arms to the torso?

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:45 am

joe38658 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:43 am
Im making a Series 10 Simm Master using a broken regenerated Simm figure (Yana's body), Ive removed the waistcoat and neck thingy.
Im thinking of either swapping the arms or putting the head on a different body and Im open to suggestions but was thinking of putting the head on an old kinda broken Series 1 Auton. Does anybody know what kind of connection the head of the Auton has and the connection of the Auton arms to the torso?
The head I don't know about, and I don't know for sure on the arms but i'm pretty certain it will be similar to the Master figure, possibly with slightly different sized connectors.