Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Re: Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:11 am
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:49 pm
Is there an easier way to achieve an even paint job without watering it down and adding multiple coats?
Depends on what you're painting, and what you're painting with. Are you using acrylic or enamel?
Either way, an airbrush will always get you the cleanest most uniform coat possible, but unless you're a pro, that's more useful for a first pass undercoat or color gradient/shading than it is for detail work.

You'll always get a smoother coat if your dilute with water for acrylic or thinner for enamel. If you're trying to hide brush strokes, you can try using small foam brushes. I've found the ones used for nail art are especially good for doing fine detail work.
I didn't know foam brushes were a thing lol thanks I'll look into it!

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:59 pm
I didn't know foam brushes were a thing lol thanks I'll look into it!
I don't know if you have Daiso stores where you live, but that's where I picked up mine.

I've never seen them sold in regular craft stores, but they really should be, since they're excellent for model painting, especially when you have to paint crevices or up inside of something. If it wasn't freezing cold and out in the garage, I'd take a photo of them, but they look a bit like a blue plastic toothpicks with a super tiny foam tips on one end.

Daiso also sells small tubes of UV craft resin that's a little thicker than the stuff you get in bottles (which is invaluable for filling in and creating parts that you want to be transparent, as well as building up surfaces that can then be sanded down as needed prior to painting) and 8-packs of extremely small and thin brushes, again... also for nail art. These are great for fine detail work, and even though they don't last as long as professional quality brushes, they work out to 25¢ each, so who cares?

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho »

For anybody on here that is considering designing their own figures or custom parts for SLA resin printing (i.e. using an Anycubic Photon or similar) I've uploaded the rotational joint design I've been using for my latest batch of figures to TinkerCAD for anybody who wants to play around with it.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/bkF799ud6zS

You can use this sheath design for shoulders, necks, wrists, ankles, or any other parts that need to spin in a socket, where you don't want to have to split your entire figure down the middle to insert a ball joint. I've shrunk this design down as small as 8mm and still had it work, and you should be able to scale it up as large as it needs to go.

I'm slowly working backwards and incorporating this into all my 3D printable figures, but for anybody who wants to create their own (or adapt a solid sculpture that you've found elsewhere) here are just the peg, hole, and sheath parts for you to play around with. You might even be able to adapt this for customizing existing Character options toys with a custom 3D printed head/arm/etc. if you can drill out the neck or shoulder to be the same width as the sheath.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

QUESTION for you lovely people that I feel like I may have asked before, but I can't find it anywhere.

What's a good paint for painting vinyl coat pieces?

I've found a lot of paint has trouble sticking.

Any suggestions?
None of Doctor Who is canon.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

It’s a bastard to sand, so that’s out of the question. I would recommend- although this info is second-hand, so don’t trust me- mask off body, all over the vinyl with dilute PVA, then acrylic sprays. NOT ENAMEL AS THIS WILL MAKE THE VINYL GO TACKY FOREVER.
AI is here!!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Interesting... PVA is polyvinyl alcohol? (says Google.) I've never worked with it. Is it the sort of thing you could buy at an art store?

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

skifflebits wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:18 pm
Interesting... PVA is polyvinyl alcohol? (says Google.) I've never worked with it. Is it the sort of thing you could buy at an art store?
I presume so. I doubt you could buy it irl, but it seems cheap on eBay- a bag for just under a fiver.
AI is here!!

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 »

skifflebits wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:18 pm
Assuming you mean PVA glue you can get it very cheap it’s a basic children’s craft glue you’d find in any class room at a primary school

You can get about a litre for a pound
Former HUU Doctor Who Society President. All Round Who Boffin.
Co-founder Vault Cosplays - https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Interesting.

Hmmm.... I'm worried it could texture the figure too much. I may see if I can find some paint specifically rated to work on vinyl.

idontremembermylogin

Post by idontremembermylogin »

Is it easy to remove the 13th Doctor heads? Considering swapping the new Purple Shirt Doctor for a Series 11 Doctor.
i'm boring now