Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Gek2Win

Re: Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Post by Gek2Win »

Yes, but it takes a little force. It's a dumbbell joint.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

So i'm currently 3D printing classic TARDIS walls (i've had to split it into quarters since the whole thing is too big for my printer) and if this one works out i'll definitely want to make more. The issue is it takes quite a while to print, would it make sense to make a silicone mold and cast some duplicates in resin or something? That way I could make duplicates fairly quickly. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice?

EDIT: The whole wall in 5.5inch/13th scale is about 290mm x 240mm if size is an issue for this sort of thing, I could cast the quarters I suppose but ideally i'd rather cast the whole thing.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Oooooooo!

(That's as articulate as my reactions get this morning.)

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Doctor What wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:04 pm
So i'm currently 3D printing classic TARDIS walls (i've had to split it into quarters since the whole thing is too big for my printer) and if this one works out i'll definitely want to make more. The issue is it takes quite a while to print, would it make sense to make a silicone mold and cast some duplicates in resin or something? That way I could make duplicates fairly quickly. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice?

EDIT: The whole wall in 5.5inch/13th scale is about 290mm x 240mm if size is an issue for this sort of thing, I could cast the quarters I suppose but ideally i'd rather cast the whole thing.
An RTV silicon mould should do the job. I’d recommend trying the process on some other stuff first though- you don’t want to cover your walls in silicon that you can’t get off!

Slitheen97

Post by Slitheen97 »

I'm attempting to put a classic TARDIS back together after painting it, But every time I've screwed everything back into place, The button which closes the door does not work, Any clue on how to fix this?
"We're all stories in the end... Lets make sure it's a good one!"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MadManFilmsStudio

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

The mechanisms of the door are quite complicated, I can't remember what it contains off the top of my head but there's a few important things. One thing is that it's possible you've put the door in, with the wheel on the base set to closed, while the door is open. Check that, and look for pictures of the mechanism.

CaptainJimiPie

Dismantling The Recon Dalek

Post by CaptainJimiPie »

With many of your probably having pre-ordered the Recon Dalek I decided to do a video on how to take it apart for those interesting in costuming theirs, although for those considering turning this into a Black Recon Dalek, there is a "word to the wise" warning at the start...I'd hazard a guess (and that's all it is) that you might be better off waiting!

How2Do :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HItwthOgmrU

GALLIFREY STANDS!

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 »

So I had a spare 7th doctor from the Cybermen sets and I’m trying to make a VNA 7th doctor but I painted the trousers and the paint went funny, so I sanded down the paint and a base coat with a paint pen, paint still went funny. sanded down, painted again paint went funny.

The paint keeps lumping up

And how do you all keep the seems from sealing over when painting and the paint from scratching off where the legs bend?

Not really done a custom like this before

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Might I suggest a matte varnish? Geedub’s Lahmian Medium works for me.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Rackers96 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:23 pm
So I had a spare 7th doctor from the Cybermen sets and I’m trying to make a VNA 7th doctor but I painted the trousers and the paint went funny, so I sanded down the paint and a base coat with a paint pen, paint still went funny. sanded down, painted again paint went funny.

The paint keeps lumping up

And how do you all keep the seems from sealing over when painting and the paint from scratching off where the legs bend?

Not really done a custom like this before
What kind of paint are you using?