13th Doctor's TARDIS Inteior 5.5"

TheSpaceStudent1

13th Doctor's TARDIS Inteior 5.5"

Post by TheSpaceStudent1 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:01 pm

The 13th Doctor's TARDIS Interior Console Room: Part One

Over the course of just over half a year I have been building a set diorama, to scale with the 5.5" Character Options Collector's Range of Doctor Who figures of the 13th Doctor's TARDIS Interior that first premiered in Series 11 Episode 2, The Ghost Monument.

Ever since the 13th Doctor stepped foot inside her console room I knew that this would be an exciting challenge I was keen to do with its completely ambiguous atmosphere. I began making the set with the console, I thought it'd be better if I worked outward from the console which seemed logical. I started on the 1st of January with creating a rough sketch of the console skeleton shape and its individual panels including the size of the hexagon wall I'd later create.

I then transferred this idea onto 3mm thick foamboard and began. I created a circular board on which everything would sit on, this being the spine of the console piece, with a hole in the centre for the time rotor. I had carved out six individual dividers between each console panel and then six legs to hold the console upright.

To better the accuracy of the console I used milliput to shape these pieces onto the set better, rounding them off.

I then painted this initial piece a dark grey before giving it a lighter white wash. The paint I used was an acrylic paint from a local crafts store. I then used paper to connect the 'upper-console' area and gluing this down onto the set.

I then began the process of creating the console panels. I soon found out that this process would not be simple as the panels have different layers. I used plastic for the base cut then covered these pieces with frosted plastic used for glass windows to create the effect as seen on the set itself. The console panels themselves are also slightly curved upwards giving the impression of the console looking somewhat 'domed' shaped which I found difficult creating. With orange LED fairy lights, I then attached lighting to under each panel to allow the console to light up. I feel like this decision has not only improved the set but has added a complete other appreciation to it which has been complimented kindly.

I soon then realised I could start work on detailing the console. I started with the detail on the main panels of the wiring under the main console panels which was ridiculously tedious and tiring. After that I worked on the ‘upper-console’ adding the known details such as the microphone, hourglasses, levers and mini-TARDIS spinner. I also felt it necessary to add piping across the console to allow it to maintain a steampunk feel.

After finishing work on that section, I moved down to the main console and added the necessary detail, working off stock-images I had found online as well as repeatedly re-watching Series 11 and screenshotting any moment that Team TARDIS are in, well… the TARDIS. This also proved to be challenging with every panel looking completely unique but with a repetitive structure. I think I’ve managed to grab the idea of the console really well and in photos the dirtiness and untidiness of the console comes across greatly.

The most difficult part of this project was deciding how I was to create not only the time rotor but the columns that surround it. After wondering whether I could use milliput and resin to create a mould I discovered it’d be difficult to illuminated with the lights I had, then I wondered over the idea of perhaps purchasing almost accurate crystal but again, the same issue occurred. After a discussion with my Dad he suggested using rolled up plastic with a sheet of baking paper inside to feather the harsh lighting and use hot glue to almost draw a crystal pattern onto the plastic. I think as far as accuracy goes it’s no where near but for an amateur set-builder whose main objective was to create a set to display my 5.5” 13th Doctor figure with, I think it works brilliantly.

I figured if I carried on then this post would get a little too hefty so in the next post (not sure when it’ll be but soon) I’ll talk through the stages of creating the console floor as well as the six pillars/columns/spider legs that surround the console.

Rackers96

Re: 13th Doctor's TARDIS Inteior 5.5"

Post by Rackers96 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:35 pm

this is excellent!

very nice work
Former HUU Doctor Who Society President. All Round Who Boffin.
Co-founder Vault Cosplays - https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Holy freaking wow, my guy. That's smashing. Brilliant job!!!
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:32 am

This is superb, really great effort. I look forward to seeing more.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:37 am

Looking good :D can't wait to see more!

TheSpaceStudent1

Post by TheSpaceStudent1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:27 am

The 13th Doctor's TARDIS Interior Console Room: Part Two

The next step of this process was to create the surrounding set for the console to sit on. After seeing the console sitting lonely on its own for many months I was excited to begin expanding the diorama. So, I started with the console floor which is primarily built from foamboard. The middle of the piece I painted grey for the texture under the snowflake design and left the outskirt of the board white as usually seen on screen. I also cut out thin rectangles on the set where the orange under-lights would shine from. On top of the foamboard are 3 individual pieces of detail, the edge of the skirt, the middle part with a hexagon hole and then the snowflake design, all these parts were painted a dark blue (not quite navy) with an added white and brown wash for a rusted effect. I also then added a black trimming around the hexagon shape to add more accuracy and depth.

To finish the console floor, I covered the whole set with a clear plastic to one dimensionalise the layers. And of course, I couldn't end without adding the Gallifreyan text that covers the entire circumference of the console floor that rounds this area of the set off brilliantly.

The next step of creating this set was to create the six columns that surround the console. As described in the first post these were made similarly to the console time rotor itself. I rolled up thick plastic into cylindrical shapes, placed baking paper on the inside then used hot glue strips to create the crystal effect and the ridges as seen in the proper TARDIS set. This process proved to be incredibly difficult, repetitive and slightly boring but the end results were worth it. Each column is made from three different parts, the top, middle and bottom, each getting bigger as they descend. Between each part is a cylindrical grey podium connecting the segments, as seen on the show.

Upon completion they were glued onto the set where I then thread through individual strips of the same LED fairy lights used in the time rotor to maintain the accuracy of this set. Again, these lights allow the diorama a complete other atmosphere when all lit up, something I’m weirdly proud of!

There’s not much I’ve done since then other than add another level below the console floor, accurate the console by adding more ‘clutter’ and creating the hexagon entrance wall but I’ll discuss those in more detail in Part 3 of this build!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Wow, that jumped from good to am\zing just all at once, you've really captured the essence of the set, and the lighting adds a lot.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:28 pm

This is mega, I think you should be really pleased with the outcome.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:15 pm

This is just amazing.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

TheSpaceStudent1

Post by TheSpaceStudent1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:26 pm

Thank you all for your incredibly kind comments! Glad to see you're all enjoying! :)