Splinters of Clara

Moderator: DukeNukem 2417

The Empty Child
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Splinters of Clara

Postby The Empty Child » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:51 pm

Just had this idea for a fic and wrote it down in the last hour, just wanted to share it with you all. I know that in some parts, it makes it seem like I ship 12 and Clara, but let me make it clear this is as friends only, I do not ship them as an actual couple.

Splinters of Clara

The Doctor sat down, jammed a wedge of paper under the table to stop it wobbling and took a sip of his coffee. That was it, adventure over for the day. There was a time when he would have such great adventures, to other planets and times, but that was all over now. He didn’t know why, though. All he knew was that there was a girl called Clara, who he couldn’t remember. All he remembered is that he loved her so much that now she wasn’t part of his life, he had no life.

However, he knew he’d remember her face if he ever ran into her again. He drifted away, thinking, contemplating this girl. He had forgotten he still had hold of his coffee cup and, unconsciously, let it slip from his hand, and the burning hot liquid within it fell into his lap.

“Oh no!” he shouted, standing up as a few of the older residents in the coffee shop stared at him with accusing eyes. “Does anybody have a tissue?”

An old lady approached him, with a white cloth in her hand. She was roughly the Doctor’s age (from the outset at least), about 5’ 1” in height and long, grey hair flowed down her shoulders. She was quite trendy for her age too, dressed in a black cardigan over a white shirt, with a tartan skirt and brown boots covering her lower half.

“Doctor,” she said. “Here’s a tissue for you, love.”

The Doctor took the tissue with a grin, and, after wiping his trousers down, made a hand gesture which beckoned the lady to sit down with him, which they both did.

“How do you know my name, Miss…?” the Doctor asked suspiciously.

“Oh, you know me, Doctor!” the lady laughed, but her face quickly turned into a worried frown. “You do know me, don’t you?”

“Not sure,” the Doctor clarified. “I’ve been around a bit, done lots of stuff, met lots of people. Do you have a name?”

“So many,” the lady responded mysteriously. “But you can call me Clara.”

“I knew a Clara once,” the Doctor started. “But I don’t think it was you, sorry. She was much younger, and I’d know her face. I don’t know your face.”

“Ah well, I expected it.” Clara sighed mournfully. “You didn’t remember the other mes either. The original must have worked that neural block really hard!”

“What do you mean, other mes?” the Doctor asked nervously.

“What would you say if I told you that I’m not the only Clara?” she asked, leaning closer.

“To be expected, nobody’s unique.” The Doctor blurted. “Very common name!”

“No!” Clara shouted. “You really don’t know me?” she asked in a calmer manner.

“Genuinely, no.” the Doctor assured her.

“Well,” Clara started. “Let me tell you a story. A forgotten memory. There was once a girl called Clara Oswald, who was in love with a man, who she would do anything to save.”

“Clichéd!” the Doctor yelled. “Sorry, can’t help it, continue!”

“To save him,” she continued. “She had to travel time and space, and so wherever in time and space you will go, you will find her, saving him. All different ages, personalities, sexualities, but all Clara.”

“Is this what you meant when you said you had so many names?” the Doctor asked.

“So many,” Clara repeated. “Clara Oswald, the original of course, and then there’s Oswin Oswald, Winnie Clarence, etc. Does this really not ring any bells?

“Sorry, none.” The Doctor replied. “So, which Clara are you?”

“Clara Winifred.” Clara responded. “I’m the old one. The pointless one, the one who doesn’t save him, the one who will die alone.”

“Sorry,” the Doctor said mournfully. “Did…did he die?”

“No, but by the time I met him, there was nothing to save him from.” Clara said, as a tear rolled down her cheek. “You said you knew a Clara once, who you couldn’t remember. You also said Clara was a common name. Do you really not get it Doctor?”

Just as the Doctor was about to speak, he realised. He realised everything Clara was saying, and he remembered as he felt the weight of a huge object being lifted from his mind.

“Oh, but you did save me, Clara.” He grinned. “You have saved me from a life of eternal boredom, moping over this girl, and instead, you have given me a reason to continue adventuring. And for that, I am eternally grateful.”

“You remember?!” Clara asked, a huge grin spreading across her face.

“Of course.” The Doctor let a similar grin spread across his own. “Clara, I could never forget you, and I’m so sorry that I did.”

And at that moment, he leapt from his seat and lifted Clara from hers in his arms. The Doctor flung Clara up into the air, her heels kicking with happiness, as they gripped each other’s clothes tightly and buried their heads into each other’s shoulders deeply, and let rivers of tears flow down their faces.

“Thank you for everything, you Impossible Girl.”

And they both lived happily ever after…
Last edited by The Empty Child on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SarahJaneFan
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Splinters of Clara

Postby SarahJaneFan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:36 pm

I really don't think the swearing bit was necessary at all...

Also, I was enjoying it (apart from the cringey Whouffaldi bits) but then for me, the ending was a bit meh. I don't know I just didn't like the happily ever after bit and everything being happy.
Image
Member since July 2013

The Empty Child
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Splinters of Clara

Postby The Empty Child » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it wasn't the best written fic ever, like I said, it was literally just to pass an hour and just thought I'd share it. Also, sorry about the swearing, that was a bit of a joke I did with friends whilst I was writing it and didn't know I'd left it in, I'll remove it now.

User avatar
SarahJaneFan
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Splinters of Clara

Postby SarahJaneFan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 pm

The Empty Child wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it wasn't the best written fic ever, like I said, it was literally just to pass an hour and just thought I'd share it. Also, sorry about the swearing, that was a bit of a joke I did with friends whilst I was writing it and didn't know I'd left it in, I'll remove it now.


It's definitely an interesting idea and could be very good if you expand it further
Image
Member since July 2013

The Empty Child
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Splinters of Clara

Postby The Empty Child » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:37 am

SarahJaneFan wrote:
The Empty Child wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it wasn't the best written fic ever, like I said, it was literally just to pass an hour and just thought I'd share it. Also, sorry about the swearing, that was a bit of a joke I did with friends whilst I was writing it and didn't know I'd left it in, I'll remove it now.


It's definitely an interesting idea and could be very good if you expand it further


Thank you, I was thinking of making it a series of short stories, most of them would be based on the alternate Claras only glimpsed in the comic Blood and Ice, and I have a few interesting ideas of my own. They won't all be like this one, I'll probably try to do a different genre in each story.

User avatar
SarahJaneFan
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Splinters of Clara

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:54 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (130.29 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
Image
Member since July 2013

The Empty Child
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Splinters of Clara

Postby The Empty Child » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Oh wow, that's brilliant, exactly what I had in mind when writing the story! I was thinking of turning this into a bit of a collaborative thing, anybody on the forum could put their own short story in this thread, it'd be great if you'd be interested in doing one. Only rule is it must feature a splinter of Clara (obviously).

User avatar
SarahJaneFan
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Splinters of Clara

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:34 pm

The Empty Child wrote:Oh wow, that's brilliant, exactly what I had in mind when writing the story! I was thinking of turning this into a bit of a collaborative thing, anybody on the forum could put their own short story in this thread, it'd be great if you'd be interested in doing one. Only rule is it must feature a splinter of Clara (obviously).


I may think about doing one, but only if I have an interesting concept and not just for the sake of doing one. Also thanks
Image
Member since July 2013

The Empty Child
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Splinters of Clara

Postby The Empty Child » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:27 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:
The Empty Child wrote:Oh wow, that's brilliant, exactly what I had in mind when writing the story! I was thinking of turning this into a bit of a collaborative thing, anybody on the forum could put their own short story in this thread, it'd be great if you'd be interested in doing one. Only rule is it must feature a splinter of Clara (obviously).


I may think about doing one, but only if I have an interesting concept and not just for the sake of doing one. Also thanks


Glad to know you're considering it. Also, I know how you feel, I have a few ideas for the next but not sure which would be genuinely interesting or just a bit of a novelty value.


Return to “Fanfics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests