Avon's customs

Deborah J

Re: Avon's customs

Post by Deborah J »

Colour perception is a strange thing, isnt it? My eyes dont actually see the same colours as each other, everything is slightly redder in my left eye and slightly bluer in my right. Like not to a huge degree, but if I quickly alternate back and forth between closing one eye then the other I can see a noticable difference. So that's kind of weird.

TOMFAN

Post by TOMFAN »

Avon wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:20 pm
Thank you all! And Tomfan, superb stuff from that chap on Twitter, think I'll have to look through his stuff, see if he's done anything similar for any of the others. That TARDIS builders article was what nudged me along to do this, along with the prior reason, as I was looking for an article on the Newbury, great read over diner the other night.
If there's anything you need to know about TARDISes, then Clayton is the man to ask!

One of my favourite bits of trivia is this:

And because the doors were too short, that's why the door stops were suddenly added, to stop then being pushed outwards, and snapping off their hinges!

Avon

Post by Avon »

Deborah J wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:19 pm
Colour perception is a strange thing, isnt it? My eyes dont actually see the same colours as each other, everything is slightly redder in my left eye and slightly bluer in my right. Like not to a huge degree, but if I quickly alternate back and forth between closing one eye then the other I can see a noticable difference. So that's kind of weird.
It really is crazy, it sounds daft but I kind of look at everything around me, and I think to myself now, is that how everyone else see's it? That is a bit weird :lol:

Thank you TomFan! I think I have some reading to do.. that's crazy about Hartnell's TARDIS too! I wonder if that was a very intentional change, not only to fix repairs perhaps, maybe along with by that stage, figuring out what worked and what was more efficient on a filming schedule but I'm vaguely aware they knew as of the Celestial Toymaker that Hartnell wanted to leave, or was becoming harder to work with requiring a solution .., perhaps they took the opportunity to introduce some other gradual changes, like Ben and Polly in the same episode? It's crazy to me too, a, how much the TARDIS changes, of course, as a kid I knew of vague differences but I never realized how much especially the Brachacki changed, and b, how long that prop lasted! Four doctors, and it seems, MIA presumed binned. What a find that would be in a garden shed...

That's interesting about River, I'll be honest here and say - apart from her debut, I didn't like her, at all, but BF has made me a McGann and a Colin fan so who knows who they might convince me on...?

Avon

Post by Avon »

Well between Tomfan and a bunch of other people, I got convinced into getting a duplicate of Harry for a non raincoat blazer custom, and donate the raincoat to a Fenric Sylv, luckily, my local store got in 12-15 of each set, and can't shift em, so I decided to buy one feeling ethically sound that I wasn't depriving anyone of sets, here's the result...

Based on Terror of the Zygons with his jacket open. This has to be the most complex, pain in the rear custom I've ever done and I'm still not entirely happy with him.. Artistically, I should've and regret not giving him better legs to correct his height and build, basically I wanted to keep as much of raincoat Harry as possible so when stood next to each other, you can see it's meant to be the same character as if it were official, warts and all, like the other official CO companion figures, as I'm not going to mod my original, so I kept the legs, shirt, and hands. Now here's what happened..

I intended to just swap the arms and jacket off a regen Tom figure, on Harry. Simple. Half hour after prizing him open as it seems CO used adhesive X to seal him shut, I find Tom's innards are completely alien to any other figure I've cracked, the arm pegs were completely incompatible, so I have a problem. In the end, I:

Popped Harry's head off the neck peg onto Regen Tom's (Extremely, extremely similar connector, I wonder if it's possible on a factory level)
Sliced Harry's shirt off, cut all the connectors, cut the back of the collar open, sliced my own finger open stem to stern and bled all over my favourite shirt (don't do that at home kids)
Modded the arms and jacket on Regen Tom as I did on my own original Harry, collar, cuffs etc
Cut the insides of Regen Tom for the head to fit tight, but adjustable
Put Harry's head and regen arms onto the regen body, with Harry's original legs attached and his shirt now glued onto Regen body
Switch the hands on, and the jacket, paint, and done!

Phew. He looks too chunky though, I'm definitely going to glue the jacket onto the torso tight to reduce the chunkyness, I might remove and cut the shirt down under the jacket, maybe not as it'll look all weird.

Here's a comparison:
First and second attempt, and official on the end

And a little bonus, I decided my horrifically painted Pyramids Tom condemned to a dark dusty box should donate his hat, as a prop to my now Pyramids/Mandragora/Hand of Fear Tom, but I kind of like it like this better..

Keep an eye for when I eventually break down and switch the legs :lol:

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Very impressive, despite the ordeal. Or maybe the ordeal makes it more impressive. I'm not sure. :)

Now I'm excited to see your 7th Doctor duffle coat custom.

EDIT: 'Course I just now realized I could make my own 7th Doc duffle figure using the 4th Doc duffle just like CO used to make Harry. D'oh!
None of Doctor Who is canon.

Avon

Post by Avon »

Thanks skiffle!! Much appreciated, indeed :lol: despite it being quite a mission, I look at him and smile, despite the flaws, thinking how much it took and he still came out in one piece! He "should" be next, I just need to get an extra 7.., and figure out how I'm going to get them freakish arms to work! :lol:

Haha, well, best of luck! And for god sakes, mind your hands :lol:

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Avon wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:01 pm
Thanks skiffle!! Much appreciated, indeed :lol: despite it being quite a mission, I look at him and smile, despite the flaws, thinking how much it took and he still came out in one piece! He "should" be next, I just need to get an extra 7.., and figure out how I'm going to get them freakish arms to work! :lol:

would it not maybe work better to keep 7's own arms and just use the coat piece on him, and paint the arms and coat to match each other?

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:19 pm
Avon wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:01 pm

would it not maybe work better to keep 7's own arms and just use the coat piece on him, and paint the arms and coat to match each other?
If the coat’s like Longcoat McTennant’s then it’s an absolute pig to paint
AI is here!!

Avon

Post by Avon »

^Exactly the debate currently underway in my mindscape, same PVC as McTennant and, next to other 7's, it may look a tad, strange.. I'll dissect a Sylv and see how he looks, push comes to shove I can do something, very, very, very risky and cut and swap the joints over, and glue them back on, or cut Harry's arm pegs down then glue the disks from Sylvs arm in, hoping the tension from his jacket will provide sufficient resistance to avoid floppy arm syndrome :lol:

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I say keep the same arms on 7 and just swap the coats. Heck, at least try it first and see how it looks.

And yeah, just how DO you paint that damn PVC? It's always driven me crazy when I've tried.
None of Doctor Who is canon.