Doctor Who colourisations

DalekCheese

Doctor Who colourisations

Post by DalekCheese » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Title says it all, really...

Deborah J

Re: Doctor Who colourisations

Post by Deborah J » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Since that quick Nyssa I knocked up was the catalyst for you making this thread I'll reshare her again.

The base image is a little grainy which doesn't help with colourising pictures, the cleaner the source picture the better, preferably fairly low contrast which B&W pictures often aren't. The best one I've ever done is this:

The trick, I've found is never leave any actual grey. Even grey things are slightly blue or slightly brown, they reflect light from things around them, it adds a lot to a picture to give even the greys some colour depth.

I also did this, which isn't quite so good, but not bad.

Same thing again, though, never let those greys be grey.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:00 pm

:shock: that pertwee! Amazing! Power’s good too. I’ve got a couple which I’ll look for now and post if I can find them. That Pertwee though... looks like an original colour shot!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Another pice of advice I'd give is not to use the same colour for the whole of a thing, especially skintones and hair, if the highlights are in a slightly different hue and saturation to the shadows it again adds a lot of depth and realism. A mainly orangey brown colour for the base skintone with pink added softly to areas gives a nice effect.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:32 pm

I used to do colourisations a few years back, nothing as good as these of course. I'll have to look through my computer and see if any survive, I think I did most of them on my old computer so I doubt many made the journey across.