Deborah's Collection of Miniature Plastic Friends

Danoftardis

Re: Deborah's Collection of Miniature Plastic Friends

Post by Danoftardis » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:15 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:07 pm
I really like 80s doctor who too, I've been watching it again recently and it holds up really well. I find the 80s in general kind of a fascinating period, the whole decade was finished before I was born, but it's close enough to my lifetime to have some resemblance to things I remember, it's familiar but not quite, and that always really catches my interest, with the music, the movies, the television, the fashion, the design, all of it
I have a similar feeling towards the 90's, even though I was born in '96 so only lived through the end on the decade, I can't remember too much about it specifically, but I've always felt enamoured towards the era, even into the 2000's I was watching 90's shows still and when I got into music most of it was 90's groups. What I do have though is a weird familiar feeling about the era in general, which I assume comes from where I did actually experience part of it, but just can't remember it.
Deborah J wrote:
Yeah, the Resurrection set is really nice, I've had it a while. I think the Molloy Davros has the best paint apps, it makes a lot better use of the sculpt than the wisher one does, with the darker wash in the creases. My Resurrection Davison has a bit of bad paintwork on his jumper, which is a shame, because he's an otherwise great figure, and the daleks are lovely, the bluey-grey one is the only grey-type dalek I have, and the black one looks fabulous. The blue one had a bent eye when I got him, but I swapped it over with the supreme, since it made more sense for a "standard" dalek to have the better eye. Idk, seems like silly reasoning now.
My McCoy imperial came with a dodgy eye, it was stuck in the socket at a really odd angle. I did manage to shift it, but it left this big ass paint scratch on the attachment part. :x Quality control wasn't exactly high on the 'Remembrance' set either.
Deborah J wrote:
Ok, lengthy backstory time, so for christmas about 5 or 6 years ago, my friend had decided to stop collecting the doctor who figures and sell off most of his collection to raise a bit of funds for his time in uni. I asked if I could have some of the low-worth figures he had, if he wasn't wanting them anymore, and he said sure and I gave him a list of some of the stuff I didn't have that he did, and he sent me it in a big parcel for christmas. But among all the doctor who figures I did want were a bunch of other things, a few dvds, a few other fun things that I wasn't expecting, and then some weird things, one character building minifig, some timesquad stuff, a load of his bad custom figures he'd made, a load of just stupid figures like toby zed unposessed, and this weird doctor who flesh goo pod. It came in a tardis shaped box, and it was just full of white goo with deformed matt smith limbs in it. This was an actual doctor who product. I don't know why. But among the stupid and bad figures he'd included a tenth Doctor, minus his head and hands. I think his intention had been to make a "regenerating" figure but he never got round to it so just dumped it on me. The goo pod thing could have any combination of head, arms or legs, but as chance would have it I got two arms - one left one right - and a head. So I thought it would be funny to put the mangled melting matt head on 10s body, then I came on the even funier notion of attaching the arms to 10s wrists, so he just had massively long arms. I had a notion to glue them in permanantly, maybe paint him a fun colour scheme, but that never happened, all this time later he's still held together with blutac. But that's his origin story. We called him Mongmatt, which looking back is kind of offensive but we're stuck with that now. But I do love mongmatt, he has a special place in my heart, he couldn't have been left out of my collection photos.
That's one hell of a backstory. :lol: I personally don't have any customs, I'm not bold enough to massacre one of my own figures, and I've never had any friends who made some either. As I said in my thread though I too purchased a load of figures off a friend, the Silver Nemesis Cyberbois and S18 Tom were the highlights of that. He also had the Revenge of the Cyberbois set, but wouldn't sell it to me unfortuntely.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:15 pm
I was born in '96
Wait, what? You're younger than me? I was assuming you were, like, 40 or something. Goodness me, what a twist.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:04 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
I was born in '96
Wait, what? You're younger than me? I was assuming you were, like, 40 or something. Goodness me, what a twist.
:o :shock: What?! I mean... What?!

Why'd you think I was like 40? I know I'm out of touch with my generation, and I'm pretty old school but damn, this is terrible.

Shocking revelation of the week.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:01 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:20 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Danoftardis wrote:
I was born in '96

Why'd you think I was like 40? I know I'm out of touch with my generation, and I'm pretty old school but damn, this is terrible.

You think you’re relatively old-school? Try being a 14 year-old with a massive predilection for Genesis and the Kinks...
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Deborah J wrote:
Danoftardis wrote:
I was born in '96

I don't know what to say, you type like an old man. Or I'm bad at guessing people's ages from their typings, it could be either of those things.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:51 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:23 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
Deborah J wrote:

I don't know what to say, you type like an old man. Or I'm bad at guessing people's ages from their typings, it could be either of those things.
I suspect you're right it has been said about me that I seem like an old man sometimes. Heck I even have a pair of comfy slippers and a cardigan. :lol:

(Btw I hope my last post didn't seem angry or something, when I re read it I thought it appeared a tad aggressive. Or maybe I'm just overthinking, I do that a lot.)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:42 am

Danoftardis wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:51 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Danoftardis wrote:

I suspect you're right it has been said about me that I seem like an old man sometimes. Heck I even have a pair of comfy slippers and a cardigan. :lol:

(Btw I hope my last post didn't seem angry or something, when I re read it I thought it appeared a tad aggressive. Or maybe I'm just overthinking, I do that a lot.)
Nah, don't worry, I assume everything is banter, usually well past the point where someone has become angry at me, I'm very bad at reading tone.

Also, I just noticed in dalekcheeses post that they're 14? That's barely over half my age, why are people making me feel so old now? I think I assume people are older than me, I don't think of myself as being that old in my head, so everyone being so young all the time really upsets me. :cry:

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:50 am

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:42 am
Danoftardis wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:51 pm
Deborah J wrote:

Nah, don't worry, I assume everything is banter, usually well past the point where someone has become angry at me, I'm very bad at reading tone.

Also, I just noticed in dalekcheeses post that they're 14? That's barely over half my age, why are people making me feel so old now? I think I assume people are older than me, I don't think of myself as being that old in my head, so everyone being so young all the time really upsets me. :cry:
Yeah I know, that made me feel old, and I'm only roughly 9 years older than him. When I was 14 feels like a different world now. :( And I'm only 4 years younger than you, that's nothing in the grand scheme of things, so don't feel bad, you're super young really. ;)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:27 am

Danoftardis wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:50 am
Yeah I know, that made me feel old, and I'm only roughly 9 years older than him. When I was 14 feels like a different world now. :( And I'm only 4 years younger than you, that's nothing in the grand scheme of things, so don't feel bad, you're super young really. ;)
Aww, you old charmer. Or young charmer, apparently.

Avon

Post by Avon » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:34 pm

:o Your cyberbois!! I love them! Very impressive, and very nicely photographed, likewise your daleks! I also love how your Ace looks without the jacket, I may just have to modify mine... and god jeez mongmat! :lol: :lol: Any chance his killer good looks will make an appearance in your art?

The 80's are awesome! Who, music, the clothes, the tech, almost everything, if I could, I'd probably travel back to the mid 60's and live through it till 89 (not a huge fan of the 90's, but 60s, 70s, definitely). The Kinks, too, fantastic. I was born in 98, what makes me feel old is you meet people my age or thereabouts who don't know what videos are! Or Mr Blobby! :lol: sorry to derail your topic Deborah