Introducing Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

Doctor What

Re: Introducing Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor

Postby Doctor What » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Good lord there's been some harsh stuff directed towards Peter Davison and Colin Baker. Peter is not being sexist for goodness sake. He is perfectly allowed to be worried about what will be a massive change for the show. Colin is ok with the change, which is fine as well. If Peter was saying "Grrrr I hate women I won't be watching again" then I could understand the awful reaction, but he's not doing that at all.

theseventhdoctor7777

Postby theseventhdoctor7777 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:51 pm

I don't think Peter Davison is sexist, though I don't agree with him. "young boys are losing a role model", I think that's entirely the wrong way to look at it. I understand the point that gender can be important to who your role models are - I've of course agreed with all the arguments that this is important for young girls so I'm not disputing that - but I think he's put too much of a negative spin on it. I've seen many people (Not everyone) saying that "Oh well it's the Doctor's characteristics that make him a role model not his gender, girls should still be able to look up to him", sure, so why can we not apply the same logic to young boys?

TOMFAN

Postby TOMFAN » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Some of the tabloids are being fairly selective in how they report what Peter Davison said, so this is it in full:

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:44 pm

For series 11 I would like their to be two companions, a man and a woman. I don't want it to be another 20 something modern day Londoner, since this era is all about big changes I would like the companions to be someone from another time, Victorian being the most likely, and the other be an alien. Some people say It would to expensive for one of the main actors to be in make up every episode, but if Red Dwarf can manage it on a lower budget, I'm sure Dr who can.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

fincon16

Postby fincon16 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:For series 11 I would like their to be two companions, a man and a woman. I don't want it to be another 20 something modern day Londoner, since this era is all about big changes I would like the companions to be someone from another time, Victorian being the most likely, and the other be an alien. Some people say It would to expensive for one of the main actors to be in make up every episode, but if Red Dwarf can manage it on a lower budget, I'm sure Dr who can.

Maybe one of her companions could be a robot dog!
Collector and occasional customiser of 12" Daleks

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:26 pm

fincon16 wrote:
Galactic yo yo wrote:For series 11 I would like their to be two companions, a man and a woman. I don't want it to be another 20 something modern day Londoner, since this era is all about big changes I would like the companions to be someone from another time, Victorian being the most likely, and the other be an alien. Some people say It would to expensive for one of the main actors to be in make up every episode, but if Red Dwarf can manage it on a lower budget, I'm sure Dr who can.

Maybe one of her companions could be a robot dog!

I feel like I've seen that somewhere.....

TW.
11 years of Doctor Who figures!

Vortexsurfer

Postby Vortexsurfer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:58 pm

True, although the Kryton head on Red Dwarf is deliberately limited in its flexibility because he is meant to be a robot. It's mostly a solid lump of foam latex and is therefore rather cheap to produce. If you were going for an organic alien character, something say on the level of Madam Vastra, that would be a lot more expensive. I do agree though that we need to move away from characters that hail from the present day.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:23 pm

I think a Robot character would work quite well, maybe along the lines of Kroton the Cyberman. An emotionless being learning how to be more human.

TW.
11 years of Doctor Who figures!

The Empty Child

Postby The Empty Child » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:31 pm

If anybody's interested in catching up on interviews with her, she was on the Radio 2 Dermot O'Leary show this morning.

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”