Heather McCrimmon

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

RhysCH

Heather McCrimmon

Postby RhysCH » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:29 pm

So I was having a small clear-out yesterday and found a few old Doctor Who Adventures magazines of the tenth Doctor era. In the comic strip, he was travelling with a student called Heather McCrimmon, apparently an ancestor of Jamie, who was designed by an eight year old reader in a competition to create a companion. I was wondering if her character is canon at all, whilst I never fully considered the events of those comics to be canon, I do remember really liking her character. Anybody got any ideas?
Formerly “chocywhovian” ... has matured slightly since then.

The Empty Child

Re: Heather McCrimmon

Postby The Empty Child » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Obviously, anything not on TV is either canon or not depending on how you think about it. The BBC aren't allowed to confirm either way as it goes against their charter, which forbids the completion of a television story being told via a product which turns profit, i.e. books, audios, comics-so all of the Doctor Who expanded universe, basically. Before anybody asks about the McGann companions in Night of the Doctor, I remember Moffat saying it was because they didn't refer to those companions specifically-e.g. it could have been any Lucie, not Lucie Miller.

But, you may be interested to know that the last Tenth Doctor strip in the DWA comic tied into The End of Time, where Heather and Wolfie are saved by Tennant, who shows up and leaves without a word, as per the episode. So, seeing as this ties into an undoubtedly canon TV story, it can be argued Heather is one of the more canon non-canon companions. Sorry for digressing, but I hope this helps.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Yes it is canon because as there is no canon policy set out by the BBC, that makes every simultaneously non-canon and canon. It makes no difference because none of it is considered more important than another, even if it’s vastly contradictory. Basically just go by your own headcanon because there’s no way to prove or disprove that anything is or isn’t canon, unless the BBC set out a policy on it.

It’s pretty much what the fans make of it at this point, like it used to be “canon” that the Delgado Master was the Thirteenth incarnation and also the crispy Master but due to developments and contradictions in a few other more recent stories, it’s now widely accepted that Geoffrey Beevers was the Thirteenth Incarnation who became crispy while Delgado was the Twelfth.
Member since July 2013

EmeraldThorn

Postby EmeraldThorn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:20 am

I thought Heather was intended as a descendant not an ancestor of Jamie

bad geminton

Postby bad geminton » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:00 am

I quite liked Heather, she was by far my favourite of the DWA comic companions, of the time in which I read it anyway. I remember some lizard guy with 11 called decky flamboon, he was just nonsensical, imagining that nane in smiths voice is impossible without laughing.
Do you know who I miss? That guy with the potatoes, let's bring him back...

The Empty Child

Postby The Empty Child » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 am

bad geminton wrote:I quite liked Heather, she was by far my favourite of the DWA comic companions, of the time in which I read it anyway. I remember some lizard guy with 11 called decky flamboon, he was just nonsensical, imagining that nane in smiths voice is impossible without laughing.

At least he wasn't as bad as Jata, the flying talking horse who travelled with Capaldi in the latter part of the Panini run.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:20 pm

At least they're a bit more varied than just modern day humans.

RhysCH

Postby RhysCH » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:46 am

EmeraldThorn wrote:I thought Heather was intended as a descendant not an ancestor of Jamie

Oh yeah, that’s what I meant ahaha
Formerly “chocywhovian” ... has matured slightly since then.

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”