Big Finish Audios

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

SarahJaneFan

Re: Big Finish Audios

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:Really want to listen to Static, heard it was great. How good is it? Worth £15 good or hold off for 3 years good?

Worth £30 good.

Buy it yesterday!
Member since July 2013

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:
Galactic yo yo wrote:Really want to listen to Static, heard it was great. How good is it? Worth £15 good or hold off for 3 years good?

Worth £30 good.

Buy it yesterday!

Done
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:
SarahJaneFan wrote:

Worth £30 good.

Buy it yesterday!

Done

For me, it was the best release of last year. At least from what I’ve heard anyway.
Member since July 2013

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:13 pm

My review of the 6th doctor and Evelyn series 1
The Marian Conspiracy- to date my favorite 6th doctor story, The Queen is portrayed as a three dimensional, likable, sympathetic character, makes me miss the pure historicals glad they appear to making a comeback. 9/10
The Spectre of Lanyon Moor- fun creepy little horror story, 6 and brig are great together, James bolam is always a win. 8/10
The Apocalypse Element- just OK,getting bored with the Daleks, another example of time lords being pathetic, man do I miss the War Games time lords. 6/10
Bloodline- Makes vastra and Jenny's relationship even more creepy, since she's now basically a cow to her. Not quite as good as Marian, but a good, psudo, historical none the less. 7/10
Overall a big set up from season 22 and a massive set up from season 23. 8/10
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:My review of the 6th doctor and Evelyn series 1
The Marian Conspiracy- to date my favorite 6th doctor story, The Queen is portrayed as a three dimensional, likable, sympathetic character, makes me miss the pure historicals glad they appear to making a comeback. 9/10
The Spectre of Lanyon Moor- fun creepy little horror story, 6 and brig are great together, James bolam is always a win. 8/10
The Apocalypse Element- just OK,getting bored with the Daleks, another example of time lords being pathetic, man do I miss the War Games time lords. 6/10
Bloodline- Makes vastra and Jenny's relationship even more creepy, since she's now basically a cow to her. Not quite as good as Marian, but a good, psudo, historical none the less. 7/10

Have you heard Static yet? It might just edge out The Marian Conspiracy. It did for me anyway.
Member since July 2013

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:11 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:

Have you heard Static yet? It might just edge out The Marian Conspiracy. It did for me anyway.

Not yet but it's on the list, have to listening to quicksilver,the behemoth and the middle first, my ocd means everything must be in order, I've been putting off quicksilver as the idea of the 6th doctor in matt Smith's costume annoyed me.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:
SarahJaneFan wrote:

Not yet but it's on the list, have to listening to quicksilver,the behemoth and the middle first, my ocd means everything must be in order, I've been putting off quicksilver as the idea of the 6th doctor in matt Smith's costume annoyed me.

:lol: I never thought of it like that. It’s cool that he wore a specific costume to fit in, while staying in the 1940s though. You’re in for a treat though, as all four of those stories are pretty damn good.
Member since July 2013

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:28 pm

Looking for recommendations for the second and third doctor stories, really enjoyed the night witches, the ones with Ben and Polly are probably I'm the most interested. With Pertwee's, I'm interested but the price is putting me off, which volume is considered the best.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:Looking for recommendations for the second and third doctor stories, really enjoyed the night witches, the ones with Ben and Polly are probably I'm the most interested. With Pertwee's, I'm interested but the price is putting me off, which volume is considered the best.

I’ve heard that the Pertwee volumes are massively a mixed bag. Apparently Volume 1 is pretty mediocre and nothing special, and Tim Treloar isn’t as good as he could be in it, whereas Volume 2 has one really good story and one okay one. Then I’ve heard Volume 3 has one okay story and one good one. But I suppose it depends on taste.

I’ve heard the first story of Volume 4 which I really enjoyed and would recommend, it’s very much in line with that era, whereas the Cyberman story which I’m up to Part 3 on, is definitely good but I’ve found it to be a little all over the place to be honest. Like the Cybermen have underwhelmed me a bit because it seems like they’ve not really been a formidable presence so far in the story, however the character dynamics are really good and it sort of feels like a zombie movie to be honest.

Not sure about Second Doctor stuff, I’ve not actually heard any of the Second Doctor Earl Adventures but I do plan on getting the Ben and Polly ones.
Member since July 2013

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:
Galactic yo yo wrote:Looking for recommendations for the second and third doctor stories, really enjoyed the night witches, the ones with Ben and Polly are probably I'm the most interested. With Pertwee's, I'm interested but the price is putting me off, which volume is considered the best.

I’ve heard that the Pertwee volumes are massively a mixed bag. Apparently Volume 1 is pretty mediocre and nothing special, and Tim Treloar isn’t as good as he could be in it, whereas Volume 2 has one really good story and one okay one. Then I’ve heard Volume 3 has one okay story and one good one. But I suppose it depends on taste.

I’ve heard the first story of Volume 4 which I really enjoyed and would recommend, it’s very much in line with that era, whereas the Cyberman story which I’m up to Part 3 on, is definitely good but I’ve found it to be a little all over the place to be honest. Like the Cybermen have underwhelmed me a bit because it seems like they’ve not really been a formidable presence so far in the story, however the character dynamics are really good and it sort of feels like a zombie movie to be honest.

Not sure about Second Doctor stuff, I’ve not actually heard any of the Second Doctor Earl Adventures but I do plan on getting the Ben and Polly ones.

Thanks, given how expensive the 3rd doctor sets are I wanted to make sure they'd be worth the price, something like Static is ok cause it makes up for it by being really bloody good.

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”