Longest and shortest lived incarnations of the Doctor

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

Doctor What

Re: Longest and shortest lived incarnations of the Doctor

Postby Doctor What » Mon May 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Is there actually a definitive answer to how long he was in the dial (i.e how many hours/days/weeks)?

It's certainly NOT 4.5 Billion years, I have no idea why people think that, even the DWM comic strip seems to think he's 4.5 Billion years old! In the dial he was continuously cloning a 2000 year old version of himself pretty much.

DE101Productions

Postby DE101Productions » Mon May 15, 2017 6:59 pm

Doctor What wrote:Is there actually a definitive answer to how long he was in the dial (i.e how many hours/days/weeks)?

It's certainly NOT 4.5 Billion years, I have no idea why people think that, even the DWM comic strip seems to think he's 4.5 Billion years old! In the dial he was continuously cloning a 2000 year old version of himself pretty much.

Its considered 4.5 billions years because that was the number of years it took for the Doctor to break the crystal. Even though it was many clone versions of him, he still retained the experience after he escaped. So he did spend 4 billion years in the dial, whether he was being reborn or not.

It is a difficult one to decide upon a true answer

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Mon May 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Ermm....not really.....he can only remember going through the entire course once. The whole point of Heaven Sent is that he doesn't remember doing the course millions of times before, he has to spend each "life" working it out. I guess he spent 4.5 billion years in a teleporter hard drive?

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Mon May 15, 2017 7:32 pm

DE101Productions wrote:
Doctor What wrote:Is there actually a definitive answer to how long he was in the dial (i.e how many hours/days/weeks)?

Its considered 4.5 billions years because that was the number of years it took for the Doctor to break the crystal. Even though it was many clone versions of him, he still retained the experience after he escaped. So he did spend 4 billion years in the dial, whether he was being reborn or not.

But that doesn't make him 4.5 billion years old, he lived the same period of time over and over again, which may have taken place over 4.5 billions years but to him it was still the same amount of time.

Think of it like Groundhog Day, in that film Bill Murray's character repeats the same day over and over again for 10 years (possibly longer) and retains the memories of each day but he still never actually ages because when he is rewound back he's "de-aged" to the age he was at the start of the day.

The only difference in Heaven Sent is that The Doctor doesn't retain the memories when he's brought back by his dying self, he only remembers what's been happening right before he starts breaking through the wall/dies, at which point he dies in order to bring back his younger self without the memories and the cycle repeats itself.

So when he says he remembers the 4.5 billion years, I don't think it's that he remembers being all of those different versions of himself, it's that he's aware he's been there for 4.5 billion years, doing the same thing over and over again, in a cycle of arriving and dying, until he finally breaks through the wall.

DE101Productions

Postby DE101Productions » Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 pm

CaptainJimiPie wrote:
DE101Productions wrote:

But that doesn't make him 4.5 billion years old, he lived the same period of time over and over again, which may have taken place over 4.5 billions years but to him it was still the same amount of time.

Think of it like Groundhog Day, in that film Bill Murray's character repeats the same day over and over again for 10 years (possibly longer) and retains the memories of each day but he still never actually ages because when he is rewound back he's "de-aged" to the age he was at the start of the day.

The only difference in Heaven Sent is that The Doctor doesn't retain the memories when he's brought back by his dying self, he only remembers what's been happening right before he starts breaking through the wall/dies, at which point he dies in order to bring back his younger self without the memories and the cycle repeats itself.

So when he says he remembers the 4.5 billion years, I don't think it's that he remembers being all of those different versions of himself, it's that he's aware he's been there for 4.5 billion years, doing the same thing over and over again, in a cycle of arriving and dying, until he finally breaks through the wall.

Very true, to be fair. Ive never really considered it before as ive never really had a reason to till now

EmeraldThorn

Postby EmeraldThorn » Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 pm

With things said like the 5th doctor saying he isn't close to middle age, I have wondered if he truly meant overall or just for that incarnation? Like saying his overall age is 900 or so but for his then current incarnation the 5th he may have meant his time/existence in that incarnation, so that incarnation being what 200 hundred years older than his previous incarnation ie; in itself 200 years old, so to him not close to middle age but overall as the doctor around or passed it.

Could also be an ego thing, trying to play up his now youthful appearance and acting younger than he is. Sorry probably could have worded that all better but not with it enough at the moment.
Last edited by EmeraldThorn on Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 pm

One way of measuring his age a bit is by companions. Most doctors have had gaps between companions so could have had years of adventures in that time, but doctors like the fifth doctor can't have aged that much because 99% of the time they are with human companions who obviously would look very different if their stories took place over 20 years or something...

tardis23

Postby tardis23 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Doctor What wrote:One way of measuring his age a bit is by companions. Most doctors have had gaps between companions so could have had years of adventures in that time, but doctors like the fifth doctor can't have aged that much because 99% of the time they are with human companions who obviously would look very different if their stories took place over 20 years or something...

I was thinking about that earlier and how I prefer it that the recent companions haven't stayed aboard the tardis during there adventures giving the doctor time to do things alone meaning he could have years in between the adventures we see on screen. The main problem I have being believing the tenth doctor only lived for 3 years and were not given that much wriggle room on that aside from inbetween season 3&4 and during the specials. Although I guess it could help explain his pathetic "I don't want to go" line and why he chose not to regenerate fully in the stolen earth because he had only been that incarnation for such a small amount of time compared to most of his other selves.

EmeraldThorn

Postby EmeraldThorn » Sat May 20, 2017 10:26 am

I feel there was some time between The Runaway Bride and Series 3 opener as well and Voyage Of The Damned and Series 4 opener and between series 4 finale and The Next Doctor etc; Also seems there may have been some time between Waters Of Mars and End Of Time pt 1, including Day Of The Doctor which seems like it fits between them somewhere or could even fit in between Planet Of The Dead and Waters Of Mars and so on. Basically seems plenty of spaces to show 10 was around longer than as he at first seems to appear. Plus Between The Doctor Dances and Boom Town I feel it comes off like 9, Jack and Rose had some off screen adventures aswell.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Sat May 20, 2017 11:08 am

EmeraldThorn wrote:I feel there was some time between The Runaway Bride and Series 3 opener as well and Voyage Of The Damned and Series 4 opener and between series 4 finale and The Next Doctor etc; Also seems there may have been some time between Waters Of Mars and End Of Time pt 1, including Day Of The Doctor which seems like it fits between them somewhere or could even fit in between Planet Of The Dead and Waters Of Mars and so on. Basically seems plenty of spaces to show 10 was around longer than as he at first seems to appear. Plus Between The Doctor Dances and Boom Town I feel it comes off like 9, Jack and Rose had some off screen adventures aswell.

The Doctor in Day of the Doctor states his age, which fits in between Waters and End of Time.

TW.
11 years of Doctor Who figures!

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”