Ideas and Theories

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

SarahJaneFan
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Ideas and Theories

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:23 pm

Discuss your ideas and theories of events throughout Doctor Who's history. :D
Image
Member since July 2013

User avatar
CharlieTheWhovian
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:56 pm
Location: The City of Gallifrey, A Bubble Universe...

Re: Ideas and Theories

Postby CharlieTheWhovian » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:03 pm

It's not a massive theory. But for those Whouffle shippers here is some headcanon for you, I like to imagine that Eleven taught Clara to ride a motorbike and just imagining how that went is very interesting...

SarahJaneFan
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Ideas and Theories

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:04 pm

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:It's not a massive theory. But for those Whouffle shippers here is some headcanon for you, I like to imagine that Eleven taught Clara to ride a motorbike and just imagining how that went is very interesting...


No...just no...shipping is not allowed...
Image
Member since July 2013

User avatar
CharlieTheWhovian
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:56 pm
Location: The City of Gallifrey, A Bubble Universe...

Re: Ideas and Theories

Postby CharlieTheWhovian » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:06 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:It's not a massive theory. But for those Whouffle shippers here is some headcanon for you, I like to imagine that Eleven taught Clara to ride a motorbike and just imagining how that went is very interesting...


No...just no...shipping is not allowed...

This ship is sinking quicker than the Titanic on here... :lol:

SarahJaneFan
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Ideas and Theories

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:02 pm

The human Osgood survived. Ingrid Oliver stated in an interview that there is something that their is something that allows you to identify which Osgood survived. The two Osgood's use their inhalers differently. Human Osgood usually uses it as though she were shoving it into her face by placing it in her palm and not holding onto it with all her fingers whereas the Zygon Osgood uses it normally and wraps her fingers around it. You can see at the start of the Zygon Invasion that she uses it the way I described the human one to use it.
Image
Member since July 2013

User avatar
ConfusedCatboy
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Ideas and Theories

Postby ConfusedCatboy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 pm

I think Time Lord names are spacetime coordinates.
Since the introduction of circular Gallifreyan in 2005, Gallifreyan has mostly been shown written into a single circular form, sometimes with another symbol elsewhere. Spacetime co-ordinates, however, were shown as series of interlocking circles of Gallifreyan. The Doctor's name was also shown in this format, written on his childhood cot.
The exact space-and-time coordinates of someone's birth would be incredibly unique. Even twins would be minutes or hours apart, changing the time coordinates. Given the way time works in Doctor Who, spacetime coordinates might even include the threads that converge on that moment - so the information would include the family history of the child as well.
But of course, a spoken name like that would get pretty complicated when speaking with off-worlders or shobogans (or Time Lords who don't have six hours to introduce themselves), so a pseudonym is required.
Which is why I think a Time Lord's name is so important, why it's "like a promise". It has to be a name that says as much about that individual as their written-name. It has to be that personal and unique, and it becomes something to live up to as well.
So yeah. I think Time Lords are given names at birth that're very complicated space-time coordinates, and later get to choose a spoken name that they feel reflects on them.
No matter how many times my account is deleted I cannot be bothered to fix the typo in my username.

SarahJaneFan
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Ideas and Theories

Postby SarahJaneFan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:36 pm

ConfusedCatboy wrote:I think Time Lord names are spacetime coordinates.
Since the introduction of circular Gallifreyan in 2005, Gallifreyan has mostly been shown written into a single circular form, sometimes with another symbol elsewhere. Spacetime co-ordinates, however, were shown as series of interlocking circles of Gallifreyan. The Doctor's name was also shown in this format, written on his childhood cot.
The exact space-and-time coordinates of someone's birth would be incredibly unique. Even twins would be minutes or hours apart, changing the time coordinates. Given the way time works in Doctor Who, spacetime coordinates might even include the threads that converge on that moment - so the information would include the family history of the child as well.
But of course, a spoken name like that would get pretty complicated when speaking with off-worlders or shobogans (or Time Lords who don't have six hours to introduce themselves), so a pseudonym is required.
Which is why I think a Time Lord's name is so important, why it's "like a promise". It has to be a name that says as much about that individual as their written-name. It has to be that personal and unique, and it becomes something to live up to as well.
So yeah. I think Time Lords are given names at birth that're very complicated space-time coordinates, and later get to choose a spoken name that they feel reflects on them.


The problem with that theory is Romana. Maybe she chose that name but it's so vastly different from The Doctor, The Master or The Rani (The Queen)
Image
Member since July 2013

Whovastron
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Ideas and Theories

Postby Whovastron » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:48 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:
ConfusedCatboy wrote:I think Time Lord names are spacetime coordinates.
Since the introduction of circular Gallifreyan in 2005, Gallifreyan has mostly been shown written into a single circular form, sometimes with another symbol elsewhere. Spacetime co-ordinates, however, were shown as series of interlocking circles of Gallifreyan. The Doctor's name was also shown in this format, written on his childhood cot.
The exact space-and-time coordinates of someone's birth would be incredibly unique. Even twins would be minutes or hours apart, changing the time coordinates. Given the way time works in Doctor Who, spacetime coordinates might even include the threads that converge on that moment - so the information would include the family history of the child as well.
But of course, a spoken name like that would get pretty complicated when speaking with off-worlders or shobogans (or Time Lords who don't have six hours to introduce themselves), so a pseudonym is required.
Which is why I think a Time Lord's name is so important, why it's "like a promise". It has to be a name that says as much about that individual as their written-name. It has to be that personal and unique, and it becomes something to live up to as well.
So yeah. I think Time Lords are given names at birth that're very complicated space-time coordinates, and later get to choose a spoken name that they feel reflects on them.


The problem with that theory is Romana. Maybe she chose that name but it's so vastly different from The Doctor, The Master or The Rani (The Queen)

If she just had the first name it could be excusable, but the full name definitely makes it harder to make any sort of theory to cover all timelords.

TW.
11 years of Doctor Who figures!

SarahJaneFan
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Ideas and Theories

Postby SarahJaneFan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Whovastron wrote:
SarahJaneFan wrote:
ConfusedCatboy wrote:I think Time Lord names are spacetime coordinates.
Since the introduction of circular Gallifreyan in 2005, Gallifreyan has mostly been shown written into a single circular form, sometimes with another symbol elsewhere. Spacetime co-ordinates, however, were shown as series of interlocking circles of Gallifreyan. The Doctor's name was also shown in this format, written on his childhood cot.
The exact space-and-time coordinates of someone's birth would be incredibly unique. Even twins would be minutes or hours apart, changing the time coordinates. Given the way time works in Doctor Who, spacetime coordinates might even include the threads that converge on that moment - so the information would include the family history of the child as well.
But of course, a spoken name like that would get pretty complicated when speaking with off-worlders or shobogans (or Time Lords who don't have six hours to introduce themselves), so a pseudonym is required.
Which is why I think a Time Lord's name is so important, why it's "like a promise". It has to be a name that says as much about that individual as their written-name. It has to be that personal and unique, and it becomes something to live up to as well.
So yeah. I think Time Lords are given names at birth that're very complicated space-time coordinates, and later get to choose a spoken name that they feel reflects on them.


The problem with that theory is Romana. Maybe she chose that name but it's so vastly different from The Doctor, The Master or The Rani (The Queen)

If she just had the first name it could be excusable, but the full name definitely makes it harder to make any sort of theory to cover all timelords.

TW.


Also, there's Lady Serena from a Second Doctor book, her name is in a similar vain to Romana's, a shortening of a much longer name.
Image
Member since July 2013

User avatar
DuskToDawn
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Re: Ideas and Theories

Postby DuskToDawn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:59 am

Sort of a small one, but the title of 'Last Great Time War' implies there were other Time Wars in the past. Before the last war, there was some time-espionage cold war going on with the Daleks, with missions like the Fourth Doctor's seen in "Genesis of the Daleks" being fairly regular events. There was a détente in relations by the end of the Seventh Doctor's life, albeit with a weak and uneasy peace. The Daleks did prosecute and execute the Master upon finding him, but that was more out of a personal grudge.

Because of the time lock (and the damage it did to time itself), an exact placement of the other wars in this timeline would be near impossible. I theorize that one could have been going on during the Third Doctor's lifespan, with "Day of the Daleks" depicting some sort of proxy-conflict on Earth.
Formerly 'The-Artist-64', kicking myself for not picking the username 'Shazam!'


Return to “Doctor Who Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests