Underrated/Overrated Stories

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

bad geminton

Re: Underrated/Overrated Stories

Postby bad geminton » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:13 pm

I seem to be about the only person in the world who thinks Warriors of the Deep is great. I genuinely think that is is one of the strongest stories of Davison's run, possibly even the 80s as a whole, and yet it constantly turns up in "worst" lists, often near the bottom. It has its flaws, for sure, some of the guest actors are a bit hokey, the lighting is horrible, and the monsters move very poorly, but all of this could have been sorted with a better director. No offence to Pennant Roberts, his 70s work on who was great, but his two stories in the 80s were very weakly directed. None of these elements, however, take away from what is really a very tight story, and an important part of the overall theme that spreads throughout Davison's time on the show, of an optimistic Doctor constantly facing a universe that is unfair, cruel and dark.
Do you know who I miss? That guy with the potatoes, let's bring him back...

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 pm

bad geminton wrote:I seem to be about the only person in the world who thinks Warriors of the Deep is great. I genuinely think that is is one of the strongest stories of Davison's run, possibly even the 80s as a whole, and yet it constantly turns up in "worst" lists, often near the bottom. It has its flaws, for sure, some of the guest actors are a bit hokey, the lighting is horrible, and the monsters move very poorly, but all of this could have been sorted with a better director. No offence to Pennant Roberts, his 70s work on who was great, but his two stories in the 80s were very weakly directed. None of these elements, however, take away from what is really a very tight story, and an important part of the overall theme that spreads throughout Davison's time on the show, of an optimistic Doctor constantly facing a universe that is unfair, cruel and dark.

This.

People see the Myrka and just think "what a pile of crap", and true, the myrka and the Silurian voices are cringe worthy, but I think this story is a great load of fun. If it had been shot how it was intended, with very dark atmospheric lighting to make the creatures more frightening, it would have been one of the best stories of Davison era in many eyes.

Some underrated classics for me:
The Romans: Hartnell is just having the time of his life here and it really shows, I absolutely love how ridiculous this story it, Nero is hilarious.

Frontier in Space: for a 6 part story with a lot of prison time, this breezes by for me. The world building is fantastic and you really get a sense of this Cold War between the Humans and Draconians. The Dalek cliffhanger is out of nowhere and great (just forget the mattress monster). Only Delgados exit after a superb performance brings this story down, and it leads straight into my favourite Dalek story.

The Three Doctors: people say this is just boring and weird. It is a bit weird, and kind of out of place compared to the rest of Pertwees era, but I think it is intentional in this as it feels like a 60s story with a bit of 70s shoved in. Oh...and Omega is one of the best villains to ever exist in Who and he needs to come back to the main show. I'm thinking Valeyard and Master team up!

Terror of the Vervoids: Robots of Death with Colin baker and some interesting twists on the base-under-siege formula with the trial framing. It's fantastic, the best part of Trial IMO

Invasion of the Dinosaurs: the effects are terrible now, but this story is bonkers and eerie and a great UNIT romp.

Some overrated stories:
Survival: I've seen people say that this is amazing, but I just find it nonsensical and doesn't deal with its themes well, but to be fair is a fine ending to the show with the final showdown of the Doctor and the Master.

Logopolis: I've seen people give this 10/10 and being an amazing end to the 4th Doctor. I honestly think this is one of the most boring stories ever, nothing happens and nothing makes sense. The ending is good though.

Genesis of the Daleks: Overlong. Davros and his friends make great baddies but this thing just takes away interest from me halfway through. If they'd cut out the thal rocket and muto stuff I think it would be a much tighter and impactful story.

TW.
11 years of Doctor Who figures!

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:45 pm

I really don't like The Time Monster, the regular cast are superb as always but the story is quite bad. Atlantis is shown too much, and the comedy is so out of place in the classic series. TOMTIT? Seriously? The baby Benton thing at the end especially felt like it came from a new series story. In fact, this story would seem way less out of place in the new series. The parts with the guy who was aged up rapidly were quite good though.

I haven't watched it in a long time, but I've never enjoyed Caves of Androzani as much as I thought I would. Like I said though it's been ages and i'll be watching it again soon so I guess i'll re-evaluate it.

I really enjoyed The Eaters of Light and I thought Sleep No More was alright too. Also I think Evil of the Daleks is better than Power.

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Waters of mars, while its the only one of the 10th doctor specials not to be pure s***, it's still not that great, tens still a moody a**, the flood have stolen the thunder from the ice warriors and gadgets really annoying. All in all the specials suck.

The doctor's wife, with the exception of amy getting mentally tortured and the war games call back, nothing really I like about this story. It's nice to see amy face some punishment at least once in a while.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:41 am

Underrated :

Paradise Towers
The Happiness Patrol
Terror of the Vervoids
The Romans
The Rescue
Invasion of the Dinosaurs

Overrated

Spearhead from Space
Logopolis
Genesis of the Daleks
Blink
Day of the Doctor
Member since July 2013

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Turn left, while it's good there is a major plot hole, if the doctor never met donna, how would he know about the racnoss, the wedding still needed to happen otherwise the doctor wouldn't have got the remote and Christmas decorations to drain the Thames in the first place. So did everything happen the same with someone else, the wedding was Donna's idea. And why wouldn't one of the first 9 Doctors investigate the changes in time.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Attack of the Cybermen
I feel that this is probably the best point to start with the 6th doctor. You could easily skip over twin dilemma and go straight to this.
Colin is as always giving a fantastic performance.
It's nice for them to experiment with the tardis design for once.
We get a rare redemption story with lyton.
Earth shock may have made the Cybermen awesome again, but this one made them scary again.
That hand crushing scene :o , how is this story a U?

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 am

Now I hate Amy Pond, I despise her. But even I have to admit that the Girl who Waited is brilliant.
It's probably Matt Smith's best performance. He's not the magic man with his wand and everything is all happy. No he's the Doctor, cold, logical and most of all alien. I would have liked him a lot more if he'd been written like this throughout his run.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:Now I hate Amy Pond, I despise her. But even I have to admit that the Girl who Waited is brilliant.
It's probably Matt Smith's best performance. He's not the magic man with his wand and everything is all happy. No he's the Doctor, cold, logical and most of all alien. I would have liked him a lot more if he'd been written like this throughout his run.

I completely agree with everything you say here. I hate both Amy and the Eleventh Doctor but The Girl Who Waited is one of my favourite Matt Smith stories.
Member since July 2013

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”