Twice Upon A Time - Christmas Special 2017 (SPOILERS)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

canton the Fourth

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Postby canton the Fourth » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 pm

I wonder if Gatiss auditioned for the part alongside other actors, of whether Moffat gave him the part as a present/thanks because they're friends and it's Moffat's last outing.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:02 pm

canton the Fourth wrote:I wonder if Gatiss auditioned for the part alongside other actors, of whether Moffat gave him the part as a present/thanks because they're friends and it's Moffat's last outing.

I'd put money on the idea that Gatiss is being booted along with Moffat and he's given it to him as a final farewell. Moffat just uses this show to live out his and Gatiss' fan fictions anyway.

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

canton the Fourth

Postby canton the Fourth » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Whovastron wrote:
canton the Fourth wrote:I wonder if Gatiss auditioned for the part alongside other actors, of whether Moffat gave him the part as a present/thanks because they're friends and it's Moffat's last outing.

I'd put money on the idea that Gatiss is being booted along with Moffat and he's given it to him as a final farewell. Moffat just uses this show to live out his and Gatiss' fan fictions anyway.

TW.

I have to agree that a lot of Gatiss' writing is quite mediocre. I'm not sure the BBC would have fired Moffat and Gatiss though. Moffat brought Doctor Who to a whole new audience, and both of them made Sherlock a huge success for the BBC. I think it was Moffat's decision to leave.
Sorry - off topic!

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:41 pm

canton the Fourth wrote:
Whovastron wrote:

TW.

I have to agree that a lot of Gatiss' writing is quite mediocre. I'm not sure the BBC would have fired Moffat and Gatiss though. Moffat brought Doctor Who to a whole new audience, and both of them made Sherlock a huge success for the BBC. I think it was Moffat's decision to leave.
Sorry - off topic!

True he did, but he also drove the ratings into the ground after 2013.

TW.

Ben C.

Postby Ben C. » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Galactic yo yo

Re: Twice Upon A Time - Christmas Special 2017 (SPOILERS)

Postby Galactic yo yo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm going to wait to judge this but I'm worried about this story, it looks like another hell bent.

It's following on from a flawed but really good story with a bad ending.
There's a plot about being frozen in time
A classic who character comes back a is completely different
A dead companion pointlessly comes back even though their story was done (bill and clara are both apparently coming back)
We see the 60s console room
The doctor acts out of character (not wanting to regenerate)
It has elements from the end of time
And (waiting till series 11 to judge her but) a timelord pointlessly changes sex.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:I'm going to wait to judge this but I'm worried about this story, it looks like another hell bent.

It's following on from a flawed but really good story with a bad ending.
There's a plot about being frozen in time - That's not really anything new to Doctor Who so you can't really hold that specifically against Hell Bent
A classic who character comes back a is completely different - Assuming you're referring to Rassilon here re Hell Bent, then who is coming back in a different guise in this story? If you mean Polly or The First Doctor then they're not completely different, they're the same character but played by different actors
A dead companion pointlessly comes back even though their story was done (bill and clara are both apparently coming back)
We see the 60s console room
The doctor acts out of character (not wanting to regenerate) - Not really that out of character, The Tenth Doctor didn't want to regenerate, and it could also be debated that The Second Doctor regenerated when he didn't want to, The Eighth Doctor wasn't really given a choice either, regenerate or die, and if the Final Adventure is to be considered canon The Sixth Doctor wasn't too happy about regeneration either
It has elements from the end of time
And (waiting till series 11 to judge her but) a timelord pointlessly changes sex.- You are kind of assuming it's pointless, it could be that similar to Smith-Capaldi's regeneration, he regenerates into a female to send himself a message through his new appearance, or perhaps The Twelfth Doctor will sacrifice his life to save The First Doctor by committing a form of suicide thus bringing that Unbound concept into the canon

Whilst I agree with some of your points, I do just a few questions re-some others

ANewWatchBegins

Postby ANewWatchBegins » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:And (waiting till series 11 to judge her but) a timelord pointlessly changes sex.

Waiting to judge, but already judging.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 pm

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Galactic yo yo wrote:And (waiting till series 11 to judge her but) a timelord pointlessly changes sex.

He didn't judge her...
There's a difference between judging Jodie and judging the concept. People don't seem to get that.

TW.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 pm

Whovastron wrote:
ANewWatchBegins wrote:

He didn't judge her...
There's a difference between judging Jodie and judging the concept. People don't seem to get that.

TW.

THIS 100%
Member since July 2013

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”