Page 2 of 6

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 am
by Valeyard
It makes perfect sense for Mark to be playing Hitler. He's got the hair and moustache that Hitler had whilst fighting in World War One and the uniform resembles that of a German Corporal, which was Hitler's rank, so I'd say that Mark is playing a Young Hitler during his time in The Battle of The Somme.

~Valeyard

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 am
by Galactic yo yo
Why would Hitler have a British accent here and not in let's kill Hitler and again Gatiss is too old.

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:10 am
by SarahJaneFan
Gatiss is way too old to be playing Hitler during WW1. I reckon he's either just a whole new character or they'll make him a relative of the Brig for the feelz

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 am
by Whovastron
SarahJaneFan wrote:Gatiss is way too old to be playing Hitler during WW1. I reckon he's either just a whole new character or they'll make him a relative of the Brig for the feelz

Remember when we had that lovely moment where the brig passing away made the Doctor want to go to his death?

And then we had Cyber-Brig

Moffats done some good stuff (series 5 and some of series 6,9 and 10) but other than that has utterly butchered this show. It's frankly embarrassing. I think by combining Cyber-Brig and Moffat's "Doctor Who shouldn't have death" comments, we have the reason why he was never right for the show. Okay he brought it to America and had some intriguing plots in series 5, but halfway through series 6 he just ran out of ideas. I honestly believe the BBC kicked him out, and only did it now because they hadn't found a replacement yet.

Okay sorry for the rant to Moffat fans

TW.

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:45 am
by bad geminton
The uniform is a British WW1 officer's uniform, so I'd guess that's what he is. I'd accept him as an ancestor of the brig, gandfather would make the most sense, but really he looks nothing like Nick Courtney. The only actor I can think of who does look a bit like pertwee era brig, as a friend pointed out to me, is Tony Gardner, from My parents are aliens and the pyramid at the end of the world, I knocked up a picture of him as the brig in photoshop, and the likeness is pretty good. Maybe cast him instead, if we're doing brig ancestors? Bit too late for that now, though.

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:54 am
by SarahJaneFan
I think the crooked moustache is there to tell fans in the know that he's somehow related to th Brigadier but everyone else will find out by the end when they reveal his name. I think they're trying to go for a iconic and not necessarily accurate feel with this episode, considering the crooked moustache and Polly's pastel pink dress (which is basically an iconic look for her even though the dress was actually red) and her almost synthetic looking barbie hair.

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:32 am
by Doctor What
SarahJaneFan wrote:I think the crooked moustache is there to tell fans in the know that he's somehow related to th Brigadier but everyone else will find out by the end when they reveal his name. I think they're trying to go for a iconic and not necessarily accurate feel with this episode, considering the crooked moustache and Polly's pastel pink dress (which is basically an iconic look for her even though the dress was actually red) and her almost synthetic looking barbie hair.

I watched the colour animation of Power of the Daleks the other week, and her dress is red in that so it being pink here confuses me slightly.

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:43 am
by SarahJaneFan
Doctor What wrote:
SarahJaneFan wrote:I think the crooked moustache is there to tell fans in the know that he's somehow related to th Brigadier but everyone else will find out by the end when they reveal his name. I think they're trying to go for a iconic and not necessarily accurate feel with this episode, considering the crooked moustache and Polly's pastel pink dress (which is basically an iconic look for her even though the dress was actually red) and her almost synthetic looking barbie hair.

I watched the colour animation of Power of the Daleks the other week, and her dress is red in that so it being pink here confuses me slightly.


Everyone seems to think or assume that it's pink for some reason and I suppose it's sort of iconic for people to see Polly in pink. You'd think that they'd do their research on what colour she was actually wearing like the people who animated Power did. The way is see it, Pink is the canon colour of the dress now seeing as the only other time we see it in colour is an animated recon in universe.

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:41 am
by CaptainJimiPie
Valeyard wrote:It makes perfect sense for Mark to be playing Hitler. He's got the hair and moustache that Hitler had whilst fighting in World War One and the uniform resembles that of a German Corporal, which was Hitler's rank, so I'd say that Mark is playing a Young Hitler during his time in The Battle of The Somme.

~Valeyard


Just a quick google search shows the uniforms of WW1 soldiers shows them to be very different to what Gatiss is wearing, plus it seemed to be revealed at comic con that his character was referred to at "The Captain" and his uniform is certainly much closer to a WW1 British Captains uniform.
Image

Image
Photograph taken sometime between 1916 - 1918 with Hitler seated (if you'll pardon the expression) on the far right!

Image
Date taken unknown but this picture shows Captain Edward Brittain MC taken during WW1

Re: Christmas Special Trailer - SPOILERS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:53 am
by Doctor What
Mark is certainly not playing Hitler. He's a British Captain for sure, the uniform, the look and the general mannerisms would indicate this. He's probably Captain Lethbridge Stewart.