Shada Animation (2017)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

Galactic yo yo

Re: Shada,strange episode to animate ?

Postby Galactic yo yo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Doctor What wrote:Does seem very strange. I guess it's more economically viable since the DVD would sell more because it's the Fourth Doctor. Wonder if they'll get Tom and Lalla? They've already got one of the original cast it seems.

Tom is confirmed to be voicing the doctor for it. I feel sorry for lalla ward, she's had to do like five versions of this story.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 pm

What I find odd is the reduction in animation quality. Compare the moonbase to Power of the Daleks. There is a huge dip in quality. It probably comes down to budget, but it is a huge shame.

TW.
11 years of Doctor Who figures!

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:
Doctor What wrote:Does seem very strange. I guess it's more economically viable since the DVD would sell more because it's the Fourth Doctor. Wonder if they'll get Tom and Lalla? They've already got one of the original cast it seems.

Tom is confirmed to be voicing the doctor for it. I feel sorry for lalla ward, she's had to do like five versions of this story.

Original, McGann audio, Ian Levine animation, and now this. Will she even need the script infront of her at this point? :lol:

EDIT:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref= ... 614153f6ab
There seems to be amazon pre-orders, including a DVD, Blu-ray and steelbook :o

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:56 am

Following up my previous message, the animation in the teaser trailer look very, very cheap. Even the Invasion looks better in my opinion.

TW.
11 years of Doctor Who figures!

Valeyard

Postby Valeyard » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:49 am

Considering that I've never fully watched or listened to Shada, I'll pick this up if it goes down in price, I'm not playing £20 for what looks to be animation on par with The Invasion.

Also, a Blu-Ray release? Are they upscaling the live action stuff to make it HD so it matches with the animation resolution?

~Valeyard

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 am

Valeyard wrote:Considering that I've never fully watched or listened to Shada, I'll pick this up if it goes down in price, I'm not playing £20 for what looks to be animation on par with The Invasion.

Also, a Blu-Ray release? Are they upscaling the live action stuff to make it HD so it matches with the animation resolution?

~Valeyard

Apparently they've had access to the original film negatives so it should be rather good quality!

Also whatever your opinion on the art style, you would think that this would be a higher quality one considering they've had way less to do compared to most other animations.

bad geminton

Re: Shada Animation (2017)

Postby bad geminton » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:59 am

I'm really glad this is happening, I've been saying for about 10 years that they need to do this, and finally they have. The VHS version they stuck on the legacy DVD is ok, but a little disappointing, the McGann version was nice, but the animation was lacking, and it felt more like a substitute than a solution, the Ian Levine version had the right idea, but the presentation was very sloppy. This version is the one I've been hoping for ever since they animated the Invasion.
Do you know who I miss? That guy with the potatoes, let's bring him back...

Vortexsurfer

Postby Vortexsurfer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 pm

I hope that this raises enough interest that other animations might be on the cards again. My vote would be for Evil of the Daleks or The Faceless Ones. However, the main difference here from other previous animated reconstructions is that rather than switching between live action and animation on an episode by episode basis, the missing scenes are scattered all over the six episodes (although more towards the end). I just hope that the effect isn't too jarring.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Ok Lalla Ward also did an audio version of the Shada novelisation, so that's:

Original
McGann audio
Levine Animation
Audiobook version
BBC animation

This is Lalla Ward's FIFTH Shada!

Vortexsurfer

Postby Vortexsurfer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Doctor What wrote:
This is Lalla Ward's FIFTH Shada!

Shada. Prison planet of the Time Lords. Where actors are condemned to recite the same script for all eternity!

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”