David Bradley joins Big Finish First Doctor Adventures

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

SarahJaneFan

David Bradley joins Big Finish First Doctor Adventures

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:30 pm

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/david- ... adventures

Materialising in time for the New Year, The First Doctor Adventures features David Bradley reprising his role in a new set of stories for a very familiar, yet very new, Doctor.

IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG (115.62 KiB) Viewed 1346 times

Following his stellar portrayal of William Hartnell in BBC Two’s An Adventure in Space and Time, David Bradley (Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Broadchurch, Captain America) is set to star as the First Doctor in this year’s BBC One Doctor Who Christmas Special alongside Peter Capaldi. And now Big Finish Productions, in arrangement with BBC Worldwide, are giving this reimagined First Doctor another chance to explore the cosmos!

Joining David Bradley are his co-stars from An Adventure in Space and Time reprising their roles as the iconic first TARDIS team. Jamie Glover (Elizabeth, Waterloo Road, Holby City) plays Ian Chesterton, Jemma Powell (Alice in Wonderland, Angel, Foyle’s War) plays Barbara Wright, and Claudia Grant (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child) plays Susan – the Doctor’s granddaughter and the original ‘Unearthly Child’.

“The adventures of the First Doctor are all about discovery,” says script editor and writer Matt Fitton, “finding out what this infinite universe contains, and also who our fellow travellers are. As we journey with Ian, Barbara, Susan and the mysterious Doctor, we come to see what they are capable of when confronted with the strange, the unjust and the dangerous.”

Executive producer Nicholas Briggs: “Having worked with David twice now on TV, it’s great to be working with him again. Matt and his team of writers have come up with such a beautifully authentic set of scripts. We forget how different Doctor Who was, back in those early days – and here it all is, painstakingly recreated. I find that rather thrilling.”

Nick adds: "What's fascinating about the cast and their performances is that they're not impersonating William Hartnell and his TARDIS crew. They're playing those parts as written in the scripts. No one can replace the brilliance of those original performances. What we're presenting here is a kind of reinvention of that era, completely in the spirit of the original. They are new but entirely faithful interpretations of these characters."

“I’ve always been a great admirer of David Bradley’s work”, says executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery, “and thought that he was an excellent choice to play William Hartnell in An Adventure in Space and Time. After his brilliant performance, we immediately thought about bringing David in to play the First Doctor for Big Finish – it took us a while – but we got there in the end! I’m so looking forward to seeing David in the Christmas Special and then listening to his further adventures with us.”

This series of adventures pays homage to the beginning years of Doctor Who, and each of the four episodes in each story will be given an individual title. Two of the four stories are historical, focusing on tales from Earth’s history pre-1963. Back in its first few years, Doctor Who was intended to be an educational programme using time travel as a means to explore scientific ideas and famous moments in history, while still captivating the minds and imaginations of generations to come.

Not only will the Doctor be exploring our history, but he will also encounter strange new life forms – the Dalmari and the Ashtallans.

And in a Big Finish exclusive, the First Doctor will encounter his greatest foe, the first incarnation of fellow Time Lord, the Master, played by James Dreyfus.

Available in December, the stories in The First Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 consist of:

1.1 The Destination Wars by Matt Fitton

1.2 The Great White Hurricane by Guy Adams

And to follow in July 2018, Doctor Who: The First Doctor Adventures – Volume 2:

2.1 The Invention of Death by John Dorney

2.2 The Barbarians and the Samurai by Andrew Smith

Doctor Who: The First Doctor Adventures – Volume 1 is available for pre-order now at £23 on CD or £20 on download from Big Finish and will remain at this price until general release when it will be available for £35 on CD or £30 on download.
Member since July 2013

CaptainJimiPie

Re: David Bradley joins Big Finish First Doctor Adventures

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:11 pm

I'm certainly looking forward to this and in many ways I'm actually looking forward to James Dreyfus's "First Master" more! Seeing as Delgado was the Twelfth Master in his original cycle, I would love to see Big Finish continue to fill in the all the prior incarnations too!

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 pm

While I think the 4 of them all portrayed the actors they were playing, I never bought them as the doctor, ian, Barbara and susan. It's the same problem with the coming Christmas special, I don't see the first doctor, I see David Bradley trying to be William hartnell. And as a big finish play especially, none of them sound like their characters , except maybe the girl playing Susan. It just feels like an odd thing to do especially given they have carol and Russell work with them plus impressionists for hartnell and hill.

The one thing I do like is seeing a pre Delgado master, that's something I've wanted for a while.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:50 pm

The person playing Barbara here has previously played Barbara in Big Finish's early adventures, as well as AAISAT. Also it's generally William Russel or Peter Purves who plays Hartnell in other Big Finish isn't it?

I do sort of wish that they had got Carole Ann Ford and William Russel to be in these, but I see the possible reasons why they didn't, as it keeps this very seperate from Big Finish's other 1st Doctor releases. It's almost like a different take on the Hartnell era. Very intrigued to hear this new/old Master in action! Also, it looks like the picture of him is just a photoshopped version of John Simm's coat from series 10.

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Doctor What wrote:The person playing Barbara here has previously played Barbara in Big Finish's early adventures, as well as AAISAT. Also it's generally William Russel or Peter Purves who plays Hartnell in other Big Finish isn't it?

I do sort of wish that they had got Carole Ann Ford and William Russel to be in these, but I see the possible reasons why they didn't, as it keeps this very seperate from Big Finish's other 1st Doctor releases. It's almost like a different take on the Hartnell era. Very intrigued to hear this new/old Master in action! Also, it looks like the picture of him is just a photoshopped version of John Simm's coat from series 10.

I heard that William Russell is retiring from the audios, I mean he is pretty old so I wouldn't be surprised if he was going to retire and step away from this scene. Which makes this make a lot more sense. Carole Ann Ford has only done about 4 audios since her last one in the companion Chronicles before the format changed to Volumes back in 2013 and she's doing a short trip this year. I reckon she probably doesn't want to do all that much either as Big Finish tend to fit actors in wherever they can when they want to be involved hence teaming Ace and Mel up, and Flip and Constance. If Russell is leaving and Ford isn't doing Among stories it makes sense for them to move forward with a new cast. They seem to be pushing Ben and Polly recently so I reckon it's because they're going to need to use them more to fill gaps.

My only real issue with the recasting is that the new cast are on the cover, I'd rather it was the original.
Member since July 2013

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Yeah William Russell will be 93 in November so him retiring would make sense. The thing with having Carole Ann Ford in audios is that they either have to do short trips or Companion Chronicles/Early Adventures which sort of rely on William Russell also being there, so it's kind of difficult to fit her into stories.

The Empty Child

Postby The Empty Child » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Really looking forward to this! I may as well just give Big Finish my bank account at this point. :lol:

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:23 pm

Doctor What wrote:Yeah William Russell will be 93 in November so him retiring would make sense. The thing with having Carole Ann Ford in audios is that they either have to do short trips or Companion Chronicles/Early Adventures which sort of rely on William Russell also being there, so it's kind of difficult to fit her into stories.

Even so, they didn't give her a CC slot this year and instead gave two to Ben and Polly. Obviously they switch things up but it seems odd that they would give two First slots to them and leave out Susan even though Ben and Polly were going to be in three Early Adventures with Two and had already had a short trip with One that year. You'd think if Carole Ann Ford was enthusiastic to be doing a lot that they would fit her in someone like they tend to do for so many other's. Let's not forget that Jane Slavin had a companion role written for her because of her chemistry with Tom Baker and the role of Bliss was written especially for Rakhee Thakrar. Big Finish try to give their actors as much as they are willing to do, it's rare that they just drop someone and leave them with nothing to do when there's a trilogy that their character isn't in.

Janet Fielding started doing audios but they didn't have Matthew Waterhouse and wanted to give Mark Strickson more to do. What did they do? They wrote Nyssa into Season 21, so that all three of the current Big Finish Fifth Doctor Companions at the time could do stuff.

They wanted to use both Mel and Ace but didn't want to put one actress on time out every other year - they had Mel join Seven and Ace.

There's many other examples and the point I'm getting at is that if Carole Ann Ford wanted to be doing a lot of Big Finish, then they would have found a way to have her do it, even if it was in an entirely different range like Louise Jameson has been doing while Lalla has been with Four.
Member since July 2013

Doctor909

Postby Doctor909 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Hmmmm I do quite like the look of this will probably pick it up. Quite curious to see the First Master. Fun fact the person who plays the Master plays Harrison in the Sarah Jane Adventures episode The Man Who Never Was (the last episode) so maybe the Master did appear in SJA :o ;) (probably didn’t but would be cool though). Big Finish please calm down on the boxsets I'm going to be bankrupt by February :lol:
Currently writing for "Project Whovian" and the all new unofficial SJA Spin-off "Subwave". If you're looking for a writer, please DM as I'm happy to help!

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Doctor909 wrote:Hmmmm I do quite like the look of this will probably pick it up. Quite curious to see the First Master. Fun fact the person who plays the Master plays Harrison in the Sarah Jane Adventures episode The Man Who Never Was (the last episode) so maybe the Master did appear in SJA :o ;) (probably didn’t but would be cool though). Big Finish please calm down on the boxsets I'm going to be bankrupt by February :lol:

Tell me about it. Time War, Bernice Summerfield, Tenth Doctor V2, Torchwood Series 5, War Master, This, Fourth Doctor Series 7, Gallifrey Time War....

There's just too much...my wallet can't handle it all.
Member since July 2013

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”