Dream One Off Special Big Name Casting

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

CaptainJimiPie

Dream One Off Special Big Name Casting

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:31 pm

It occurred to me the other days how much Doctor Who has warned in recent years of having big name stars in it's xmas specials.

Series 1 & 2 never really had anyone, but then Series 3 with Voyage Of The Damned got Kylie Minogue, Series 4/Specials had David Morrissey, Timothy Dalton & Clare Bloom in The Next Doctor and The End Of Time respectively.
Series 5 had Michael Gambon and Katherine Jenkins in A Christmas Carol, Series 6 trailed off a little as whilst they did have some great actors none were really big name ones, Bill Bailey probably was the most well known in The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe.

Then Series 7 came back with a bang with Sir Ian McKellen in The Snowmen and Time Of The Doctor has (albeit slightly less well known) Orla Brady.
But after that things trailed off slightly Last Christmas has Nick Frost (who is still a great actor), Husbands Of River Song & Return Of Doctor Mysteroi didn't really have anyone, and it looks like Twice Upon A Time won't either.

And even outside the xmas specials we'd still had some great one-off cameos and casting appearances.

But anyway the point to this rambling post is :

If you could pick any big name actor for a one-off appearance in Doctor Who, who would you pick and what would the role be?

There's probably hundreds I could pick but right now off the top of my head I would love to see an episode with Gary Oldman as The Master, being one of the previously unknown 2nd-10th incarnations!
I could really see him in the role and I think he'd be great in it! And maybe even end the story with his regeneration in Delgado!

SarahJaneFan

Re: Dream One Off Special Big Name Casting

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:02 pm

I’d like to see Helena Bonham Carter appear as a renegade Time Lord and old academy friend of the Doctor, Master, Rani, Monk etc.

Also Series 1 had Simon Pegg and Series 5 had Bill Nighy , Series 6 has Michael Sheen and Imelda Staunton.

It’s difficult to pick out which ones are considered the big names to be honest, as there’s a lot of big name British stars in Doctor Who it you really look, but I suppose the ones that are really big name are the film stars as opposed to people who drift around from show to show but have become really popular.
Member since July 2013

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:21 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:Also Series 1 had Simon Pegg and Series 5 had Bill Nighy , Series 6 has Michael Sheen and Imelda Staunton.

True, although when I was listing I was listing those in xmas specials, as I also said outside the xmas specials there have also been great cameo/one-off appearances

Vortexsurfer

Postby Vortexsurfer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Well personally I think saying that this year has no big names is a slight disservice to David Bradley. Surely he counts!

Staying with actors that have appeared in Game of Thrones. Charles Dance has often been suggested as the perfect Master and I quite agree.

Patrick Stuart I would also love to see. No, not a Trek crossover, but as a villain.

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:40 pm

If pigs learn to fly and McGann comes back, the companion he should have is Mary played by Julie Cox.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:If pigs learn to fly and McGann comes back, the companion he should have is Mary played by Julie Cox.

Only problem is that Julie is far too old as Mary was supposed to be 18 when she travelled with the Doctor. Then again, McGann doesn’t look exactly the same as he should for that particular era.

I’d just take the easy route and have Eight with Liv post Dark Eyes But Pre Doom Coalition.
Member since July 2013

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”