Cybermen Evolution

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

RYCBAR123

Cybermen Evolution

Postby RYCBAR123 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 pm

So lately I've been trying to work out the timeline of the Cybermen while considering the 'genesis' in World Enough and Time / The Doctor Falls. I came across the parallel evolution explanation which says that cybermen are an inevitable concept anywhere humans / human like species are present. This explains why there are multiple origin stories: Mondas, Telos, Parallel Earth and the Mondasian Colony Ship. The question I have regards the designs of all of the Cybermen. Is there an explanation given to how the design from 'Pete's World' is the same as the ones seen in A Good Man Goes to War? Also, the cybermen seen in World Enough and Time have the same designs as we've seen throughout the series, so is it a coincidence that the upgrades were identical in cybermen from Mondas and the ones from the Colony Ship?

I'm not sure if I've missed something but the whole Cybermen Genesis has just really confused me! :roll:

Thanks for any answers in advance! :)
RUN you clever boy... and BE A DOCTOR.

DukeNukem 2417

Re: Cybermen Evolution

Postby DukeNukem 2417 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:19 pm

The evolution of the Cybermen on the colony ship was "parallel" to that of the "main" Cybermen, due to how time was being affected from the bottom of the ship to the top (I think). Basically, the Cybermen of Mondas probably had a similar start to the ones on that ship.
Through the darkness of future past,
The magician longs to see....
One chants out between two worlds:
"Fire...walk with me."

RYCBAR123

Postby RYCBAR123 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:34 pm

DukeNukem 2417 wrote:The evolution of the Cybermen on the colony ship was "parallel" to that of the "main" Cybermen, due to how time was being affected from the bottom of the ship to the top (I think). Basically, the Cybermen of Mondas probably had a similar start to the ones on that ship.

Yeah the time at the bottom of the ship was slower because of the black hole. I just wasn't sure how the actual designs of the 'main' and colony ship cybermen were the same when they originated separately. I get how it wouldn't be easy for Moffat to create a whole new evolution line of Cybermen so just reused all old models, but in universe I wasn't sure if a reason was given.
The start would be the same or similar because the technology from Mondas and the Mondasian ship would have been the same but it's very unlikely that all the later models would be the same as the main cybermen.

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:04 pm

I always assumed that the Good Man Goes to War Cybermen came from Pete's World - and then later evolved into the Nightmare in Silver Cybermen through upgrades.
Thinking about that though - the Cybermen all got Sucked into the void in Doomsday but then something happened in The Next Doctor to keep them alive I'm sure.
Yes you're right, they don't even sell Doctor Who figures in Dubai.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:37 pm

The ‘main’ Cybermen originated on Monday, but a group left the planet and upgraded fully, establishing themself on Telos (I consider planet 14 to be Telos). The remaining Cybermen stayed with their home and died in the tenth planet.

So since then the Cybermen are not descended from the very first, but from the ones that left for Telos.

The Cybermen from the pandorica opens onwards are the Telos Cybermen. The guns used against Cybermen in Peres world, being used by them is in that story onwards is a clear way to see how they are the patrolled versions, the guns were produced in a different way.

It’s basically just the idea that they would have similar designs because it’s a parralell. It doesn’t make much sense. But they can’t just keep making different costumes so we just have to accept it.

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

RYCBAR123

Postby RYCBAR123 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks for the answers!
I’ve looked up parallel evolution as a scientific theory, not just how it relates to the Cybermen, and it says that two species from a common ancestor would evolve in similar ways because of similar environmental pressures.

This makes it clearer because the common ancestor was the Mondasians who, on the planet and on the colony ship, were in uninhabitable conditions and were forced to evolve into Cybermen.

Since then they have evolved in the same way because of the same environmental pressures, ie being attacked and being involved in conflict.

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:30 am

Love the tenth planet Mondasian Cybermen design

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”