What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

User avatar
DukeNukem 2417
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:05 pm

What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Postby DukeNukem 2417 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm

I found a fascinating series of page scans from an old magazine that detail how Doctor Who would've continued in the 1990s with Richard Griffiths as the Eighth Doctor...pretty good stuff!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

SarahJaneFan
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 pm

An interesting thing about this article is that they give the companion that was supposed to follow on from Ace, the name “Kate Tollinger”. In actual fact and according to Andrew Cartmel, the character always intended to be called Raine Cunningham, or at least just Raine. It’s odd that the article had the right idea about how she was supposed to be introduced but got the name completely wrong. When adapting the stories to audio, Big Finish did actually name the character Raine as was intended, but used the surname Creevy instead of Cunningham because there was apparently an existing person with that name or something.
Image
Member since July 2013

User avatar
CaptainJimiPie
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:36 am

Re: What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:50 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:An interesting thing about this article is that they give the companion that was supposed to follow on from Ace, the name “Kate Tollinger”. In actual fact and according to Andrew Cartmel, the character always intended to be called Raine Cunningham, or at least just Raine. It’s odd that the article had the right idea about how she was supposed to be introduced but got the name completely wrong. When adapting the stories to audio, Big Finish did actually name the character Raine as was intended, but used the surname Creevy instead of Cunningham because there was apparently an existing person with that name or something.


Perhaps they had several different names down for the companion? Or I do remembering reading somewhere that had Doctor Who continued into the 90's then they would have gone back to multiple companions similar to Doctor Who's earlier years, so perhaps Raine & Kate were intended to be two different companions and the article simply got them confused into one.

speckleness
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 am

Re: What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Postby speckleness » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 pm

On a very personal level, I think Richard Griffiths would've made an awful doctor. Black actor? No problem. Female actor? Definitely warmed to it. But an obese Doctor? Jog on. He wouldn't even fit through the TARDIS doors.

User avatar
CaptainJimiPie
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:36 am

Re: What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 am

speckleness wrote:On a very personal level, I think Richard Griffiths would've made an awful doctor. Black actor? No problem. Female actor? Definitely warmed to it. But an obese Doctor? Jog on. He wouldn't even fit through the TARDIS doors.


I appreciate that you say this (as you say) on a very personal level but I think you are being a bit TOO personal, in that I think obese is going a bit far.
Yes he might not have been as slim and trim as previous Doctors but at the time we are talking off (early 90s, although he was also considered for the role following Tom Baker) he was hardly obese, it's not exactly like Colin Baker was Mr Slim during Trial Of A TimeLord but he still managed to dash about no problems!

For example here he is in King Ralph in 1991 (which ironically started both Camille Coduri & John Hurt too)
Image
Portly, yes, rounded, certainly but not what I would call obese, and to be fair even in later years right up to his death in 2013 he was still very much active in tv, film and stage despite his (then at the time) larger size.

speckleness
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 am

Re: What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Postby speckleness » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:52 am

Portly, rotund, chubby, big-boned.... all just polite terms for obesity. If anything, the pic only proves my point. Can't really see him running down many corridors. Just my opinion.

User avatar
CaptainJimiPie
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:36 am

Re: What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 pm

speckleness wrote:Portly, rotund, chubby, big-boned.... all just polite terms for obesity. If anything, the pic only proves my point. Can't really see him running down many corridors. Just my opinion.


Fair enough if that's your opinion, I just think it's a bit of an overstatement.

User avatar
Galactic yo yo
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Postby Galactic yo yo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Somewhere in a parallel universe this was the reality. I am interested to see what Griffith's would have been like as the Doctor, because of his tragic passing, we'll never know.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

User avatar
skifflebits
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Re: What If - Doctor Who in the 1990s

Postby skifflebits » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 pm

One has to wonder whether any of it would have mattered a damn with JNT still at the helm.


Return to “Doctor Who Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests