Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

SarahJaneFan

Re: Big Finish Audios

Postby SarahJaneFan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:15 pm

Doctor909 wrote:
SarahJaneFan wrote:
Doctor909 wrote:Announced in this week’s podcast:
8th Doctor Adevntures Doom Coalition Follow Up has finally been announced it shall be called Ravenous and will see the 8th Doctor, Liv and Helen. Apparently we’ll find out what has happened to Helen and the Eleven and I believe I heard Churchill in the trailer! We’ll also see a TV alien who hasn’t yet appeared in audio form (start your guesses!) You can find the trailer at 11:56

Also a trailer for Tales From New Earth at 18:24 and some other little bits of information.

It’s the Kandyman. I’m not even kidding. :lol:

That is unless it’s all a joke.

Right you’re going to have to explain how you got to that :lol:

Some people got DWM early. Winston Churchill is in it too.

I have the picture of the article but it’s too big to upload. It’s on the Big Finish forum though.
Member since July 2013

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Listened to Classic Doctors, New Monsters volume 2.
I was really disappointed and felt they were all too similar.
The most redeeming feature was the performances of the 4 Doctors.
Not really much was done to expand on the Monster's only relying on what we knew.
Most of the new characters felt exactly the same:
A stubborn Elderly Woman at odds with the Doctor.
A young fill in companion who (except in the Racnoss one) Spoilers Dies
The Racnoss were so bloody annoying and hard to listen to.
The carrionite one didn't make much sense, like people celebrating the execution of their former friends.
Not a fan of the time war in general, glad it wasn't the sole focus of the last story.
Felt it was overpriced for how short each story is. I was expecting them to be at least an 1hr or 2 but were only 50 minutes.
Haven't heard volume 1 yet which I hear is better.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Until noon (UK time) on monday, the first Doom Coalition is reduced to £20, both on CD and download.

As for Classic Doctor New Monsters 2, I kind of agree with some of that, although I really enjoyed the Vashta Nerada, particularly the Fourth Doctor story.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 am

Currently halfway through Doom Coalition 1, really enjoyed The Eleven and The Red Lady, but as far as i've heard the second half isn't as good. I don't think anything in the set will top The Red Lady though, it's so creepy! After this, I think i'll start The War Master.

I know I keep mentioning Big Finish sales but right now until the 31st, there's a load of older spin-off releases (Dalek Empire, Cyberman, I Davros, Sarah Jane Smith) as well as some books and other audios for £1 each. Kind of tempted by the Dalek Empire releases since i'd really like to hear what the Daleks get up to without the Doctor to interfere (maybe they actually win sometimes?).

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 am

Doctor What wrote:Currently halfway through Doom Coalition 1, really enjoyed The Eleven and The Red Lady, but as far as i've heard the second half isn't as good. I don't think anything in the set will top The Red Lady though, it's so creepy! After this, I think i'll start The War Master.

I know I keep mentioning Big Finish sales but right now until the 31st, there's a load of older spin-off releases (Dalek Empire, Cyberman, I Davros, Sarah Jane Smith) as well as some books and other audios for £1 each. Kind of tempted by the Dalek Empire releases since i'd really like to hear what the Daleks get up to without the Doctor to interfere (maybe they actually win sometimes?).

The only story in the set that comes close to The Red Lady is Absent Friends, which appears in DC3. And also deals with a lot of the consequences of Helen running away at the end of the Red Lady, from her perspective, while also giving Liv a good bit of development with her relationship with her dad.

I’m probably going to get the complete series of Sarah Jane Smith in the Sale and perhaps Music from the Sixth Doctor Audios.
Member since July 2013

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 pm

What's the general consensus on the night witches and the outliers?
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm calling this post "Recommend a BF Audio to a Guy Who's Been Burned."

I'm honestly hot and cold on BF. There have been some flat-out amazing tales, but I feel like I get burned with some terrible storytelling over 50% of the time. "The Light at the End" put me off them "for good," but now I want to stick my toe back in.

Can anyone recommend a story or two from the past three years that you think are just fab? (Extra points for 4th or 8th Doc tales.)

Thanks!
-Skiff
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:17 pm

skifflebits wrote:I'm calling this post "Recommend a BF Audio to a Guy Who's Been Burned."

I'm honestly hot and cold on BF. There have been some flat-out amazing tales, but I feel like I get burned with some terrible storytelling over 50% of the time. "The Light at the End" put me off them "for good," but now I want to stick my toe back in.

Can anyone recommend a story or two from the past three years that you think are just fab? (Extra points for 4th or 8th Doc tales.)

Thanks!
-Skiff

I have similar feelings for Tom's audios, they're all pretty meh, relying on the hope that fans will think "Tom Baker's in it, therefore it must be good. Night of the Vashta Nerada was pretty decent. Can't really say anything about stuff released from 2007 on as it's bloody expensive, so only have a handleful. I personally prefer the Charley era over Lucie, half because it's cheaper, half cause I prefer experimental surreal big finish over pandering to new who fans big finish.
My top 10 8th doctor stories are:
Chimes of Midnight
Natural history of Fear
Scherzo
The Last
Blood of the Daleks
To the death/Lucie miller
The Silver Turk
The Red Lady
Absent Friends

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:24 pm

skifflebits wrote:I'm calling this post "Recommend a BF Audio to a Guy Who's Been Burned.

Thanks!
-Skiff

Go back to the beginning.

ESSENTIALS:

The Marian Conspiracy (Six and Evelyn)
The Holy Terror (Six and Frobisher)
Jubilee (Six and Evelyn)
Doctor Who and the Pirates (Six and Evelyn)
Spare Parts (Five and Nyssa)
The Fires Of Vulcan (Seven and Mel)
The Chimes of Midnight (Eight and Charley)
Seasons of Fear (Eight and Charley)
Davros (Six)
Master (Seven)
Scherzo (Eight and Charley)
The Juggernauts (Six and Mel)
The Silver Turk (Eight and Mary Shelley)
Masters of Earth (Six and Peri)
The Middle (Six, Flip and Constance)
Static (Six, Flip and Constance)

What is often recommended but I haven’t heard:

The Natural History of Fear (Eight, Charley and C’rizz)
Terror Firma (Eight, Charley, C’rizz, Samson and Gemma)
Colditz (Seven and Ace)
Circular Time (Five and Nyssa)
Night Thoughts (Seven, Ace and Hex)

Non Main Range

Phillip Hinchcliffe Presents Volume 1 (Four and Leela)
The First Doctor Box Set (Not heard but have heard nothing but good reviews from everyone)
Eighth Doctor Adventures Series 4 (Eight, Lucie, Tamsin, Susan, Alex, The Monk)
A Full Life (Short Trip, Four, Romana, Adric)
Wrath of the Iceni (Four and Leela)
The Auntie Matter (Four and Romana I)
The Bounty of Ceres (One, Steven and Vicki)
The Sara Kingdom Trilogy

I’d say start by listening to the Eight and Charley, and Six and Evelyn stories in order (half of them are free on Spotify and you can get the vast majority for 2.99 download on the BF website) and then once you’ve done that, you should have a feel for the sort of things Big Finish do, plus those two story strands link into and start off several other things.
Member since July 2013

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 am

Thanks for the recommendations.

Honestly, I started with Eight and Charley, so I'm more interested in new releases from the past two or three years. Anything post-Light at the End, when I vowed to walk away for good. (Actually, I realize that was the second time I vowed to walk away for good. The first was Zagreus.)

I did listen to the first Dark Eyes, which I thought was all right. (Though technically, that's pre-LATE, isn't it?)

I agree with you on the highlights of the early years. Holy Terror. Spare Parts. Jubilee. Chimes of Midnight. Davros. All great stuff. The rest I'll definitely take a look at.

The latest Eight box is getting good reviews, though it's name escapes me at the moment. Doom-something? Eh... It will come to me.

Thanks!
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”