Big Finish Audios

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

SarahJaneFan

Re: Big Finish Audios

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 pm

They wouldn’t do it without him. Bear in mind, this isn’t the Doctor Chronicles, it’s full cast. They’d either get Cribbins or not use Wilf for this particular Range.
Member since July 2013

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:30 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:They wouldn’t do it without him. Bear in mind, this isn’t the Doctor Chronicles, it’s full cast. They’d either get Cribbins or not use Wilf for this particular Range.

I didn't know that. That excites me very much.

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:27 am

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/third- ... haw-return
The Brigadier and Liz Shaw have been recast for the 5th Series of the 3rd Doctor adventures.
Jon Culshaw is the Brigadier, have heard a piece of his impression which is pretty good.
Caroline John's daughter, Daisy Ashford will be Liz.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Ooh, not sure how I feel about that, having an entire cast replaced like that. I mean I guess it's a nice way to get new stories with characters whose performers are no longer with us, but it's not really the same . Nice that they got Caroline John's daughter to play liz, though, that seems a tasteful choice.

Bundy

Postby Bundy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 pm

I have memories of an FAQ in the early days of Big Finish that talked about never using anyone other than the original actor for the role of the Doctor out of respect. Can't remember if they said the same for supporting roles.

Actually there were quite a few things in that FAQ that have since changed, like the use of Davros (I think they said stories were stronger without him).

I still keep an eye on Big Finish, but it is a long time since I purchased anything. It has somehow lost its appeal for me due to the sheer amount that comes out each month.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/third-doctor-jo-grant-and-liz-shaw-return
The Brigadier and Liz Shaw have been recast for the 5th Series of the 3rd Doctor adventures.
Jon Culshaw is the Brigadier, have heard a piece of his impression which is pretty good.
Caroline John's daughter, Daisy Ashford will be Liz.

I was very surprised by that preview of Culshaw's Brig, I didn't think anyone would really capture Nick Courtney but actually he's really good! I've not picked up any of these Third Doctor sets but I may have to get this one (and maybe the last one for the Cybermen).

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 pm

I’m honestly more concerned about them contradicting the novel, The Wages of Sin, in the Liz Story, rather than the recasts.
Member since July 2013

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:31 am

So this is being released for International Women’s Day next year.

Honestly it wouldn’t be particularly appealing if it wasn’t the first use of the Paternoster Gang together (though Dan Starkey isn’t on the cast list, but the story with Vastra and Jenny is listed as starring the Paternoster Gang), and the fact that they’re finally using both Osgoods in UNIT, which means we’re moving into Capaldi era territory.

901A01A2-D409-4B5D-A564-0C9734F7F246.jpeg
901A01A2-D409-4B5D-A564-0C9734F7F246.jpeg (140.09 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Member since July 2013

bad geminton

Postby bad geminton » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:03 pm

I remember for a while they were running penguin pirates Davison audios on radio 7, does anyone remember that? About 5-6 years ago. They kind of stopped part way through what seemed to be a run of linked stories, there was one with a computer called Edgar and spiders making skeleton copies of the doctor and his friends, one with the mara posessing the doctor, there was one between those, I don't really remember, it was a while ago, but they were good. It was set after Terminus, with an older Nyssa joining the doctor tegan and turlough. I think one of the stories later in the run was going to have sontarans. Always meant to go back and track down the cds of the rest of that thread of stories but never quite got around to it.
Don't worry, I'm not stopping here long...

SarahJaneFan

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:29 pm

bad geminton wrote:I remember for a while they were running penguin pirates Davison audios on radio 7, does anyone remember that? About 5-6 years ago. They kind of stopped part way through what seemed to be a run of linked stories, there was one with a computer called Edgar and spiders making skeleton copies of the doctor and his friends, one with the mara posessing the doctor, there was one between those, I don't really remember, it was a while ago, but they were good. It was set after Terminus, with an older Nyssa joining the doctor tegan and turlough. I think one of the stories later in the run was going to have sontarans. Always meant to go back and track down the cds of the rest of that thread of stories but never quite got around to it.

Ah yes the Older Nyssa arc. I’ve not heard any of them myself but it’s quite a large run of stories that went on for a few years. I think it was from around 2010 to 2015.

I think the Mara one is the last in the first trilogy and the Sontaran one is the first in the second trilogy.

The run also includes stories featuring Eldrad, Magnus Greel and the last trilogy revolves around them returning to E-Space and a sequel to Full Circle.

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/all_re ... _year=2015

D83FFA35-AA1B-4BB5-8388-B26BAA498F05.jpeg
D83FFA35-AA1B-4BB5-8388-B26BAA498F05.jpeg (95.02 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Member since July 2013

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”