What Made You Frown Today?

Chat About... Anything!

Moderator: porcelaingirl

Neon Wolf

Re: What Made You Frown Today?

Postby Neon Wolf » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Galactic yo yo wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-takes-worst-enemy-13438469
I guess Remberance of the Daleks and Human Nature/Family of Blood don't exist anymore.

Sci-fi has always used aliens and such to analyse and discuss various topics of human behavior and Doctor Who is no different. This article seems to willfully ignore this fact in order to drum up some controversy. The Daleks are and have always been Nazis with their obsession with racial purity and seeing all other life forms as inferior to them rolling around with their arm in the air in the classic sieg heil position. With sci-fi you have a great opportunity to dissect these themes in depth because you remove the people and the history and are able to fully dissect what it is that creates these behaviors and prejudices.

The issue with Doctor Who tackling this directly is they are most certainly going to have to sugar coat this for tea time viewing, you're not going to be able to show racism in all its ugliness at 7 o'clock. Secondly and far more concerning is that from what I can tell from the plot someone has traveled back to stop Rosa Parks from sparking the civil rights movement (can't see this not being preachy to the point of cringe) and the Doctor has to put things right. So the black civil rights movement may in fact have a white woman to thank for it all... ouch.

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Neon Wolf wrote:
Galactic yo yo wrote:https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-takes-worst-enemy-13438469
I guess Remberance of the Daleks and Human Nature/Family of Blood don't exist anymore.

Sci-fi has always used aliens and such to analyse and discuss various topics of human behavior and Doctor Who is no different. This article seems to willfully ignore this fact in order to drum up some controversy. The Daleks are and have always been Nazis with their obsession with racial purity and seeing all other life forms as inferior to them rolling around with their arm in the air in the classic sieg heil position. With sci-fi you have a great opportunity to dissect these themes in depth because you remove the people and the history and are able to fully dissect what it is that creates these behaviors and prejudices.

The issue with Doctor Who tackling this directly is they are most certainly going to have to sugar coat this for tea time viewing, you're not going to be able to show racism in all its ugliness at 7 o'clock. Secondly and far more concerning is that from what I can tell from the plot someone has traveled back to stop Rosa Parks from sparking the civil rights movement (can't see this not being preachy to the point of cringe) and the Doctor has to put things right. So the black civil rights movement may in fact have a white woman to thank for it all... ouch.

Agreed 100%. The story of Rosa Parks is more fitting of a 9PM drama than an episode of Doctor Who imo.

Galactic yo yo

Postby Galactic yo yo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:35 pm

R.I.P Derrick Sherwin. You gave us the best handled Doctor transition and my favourite Doctor Who story of all time, The Mind Robber.
"it's seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo yo" - Jon Pertwee, The Claws of Axos

TheSparrow

Postby TheSparrow » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:33 pm

I've spent so long on a piece of ICT coursework that I didn't even have to do and now I'm just so behind on my Music and photography coursework. I'm just sat at my computer listening to Muse with my head in my hands. Jesus, what a mess.
I cant wait for year 13 to end. I need a break from education...
I live here.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:38 pm

TheSparrow wrote:I've spent so long on a piece of ICT coursework that I didn't even have to do and now I'm just so behind on my Music and photography coursework. I'm just sat at my computer listening to Muse with my head in my hands. Jesus, what a mess.

Aww, we're all sending our collective forum hugs your way. <3

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:09 pm

TheSparrow wrote:I've spent so long on a piece of ICT coursework that I didn't even have to do and now I'm just so behind on my Music and photography coursework. I'm just sat at my computer listening to Muse with my head in my hands. Jesus, what a mess.

Swap out some subjects and generalise the music and this is the most relatable thing I've read all day.
Yes you're right, they don't even sell Doctor Who figures in Dubai.

porcelaingirl

Postby porcelaingirl » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Technically this was yesterday, but I fell off an escalator and have pulsating pain in my head, and my wrist and ankles are sore, but I already went to A&E and they just said "take paracetamol", and I said I'm allergic, so they said take ibuprofen (like Motrin or Advil) and I said can have something stronger to help sleep at least the night and they said "No", so they asked me to sign a form and I said "No". You honestly can't spare one or two small doses of a narcotic like codeine to help someone who fell on bricks after tripping down an escalator and hitting her head? Seriously now...

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Just my miserable little life.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:41 am

Galifreyan wrote:Just my miserable little life.

You ok there, buddy?

Return to “General Chat”