true crime/missing persons

Chat About... Anything!

Moderator: porcelaingirl

matt1971

true crime/missing persons

Postby matt1971 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:00 pm

The Australian Federal Police recently put out a PSA to mark National Missing Persons Week.
While it is powerful, you have to admit they are trying to manipulate the audience emotionally. Using a father and young daughter as the ones left behind, rather than a father and young son. It'd be interesting to see how the dialogue would've come off had they had a different kid in the role. Particularly the bit about wanting a new car. Using a long-haired girl and putting a bow in her hair is also designed to get a specific reaction from the audience that they wouldn't get with a short-haired butch tomboy. I'm only surprised that they didn't put her in a pink satin dress with white underskirt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfldQhYfBg

Deborah J

Re: true crime/missing persons

Postby Deborah J » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:07 pm

matt1971 wrote:The Australian Federal Police recently put out a PSA to mark National Missing Persons Week.
While it is powerful, you have to admit they are trying to manipulate the audience emotionally. Using a father and young daughter as the ones left behind, rather than a father and young son. It'd be interesting to see how the dialogue would've come off had they had a different kid in the role. Particularly the bit about wanting a new car. Using a long-haired girl and putting a bow in her hair is also designed to get a specific reaction from the audience that they wouldn't get with a short-haired butch tomboy. I'm only surprised that they didn't put her in a pink satin dress with white underskirt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfldQhYfBg

I don't really understand what you're getting at here. I don't see what difference it would make what combination of parent and child they used. I'm sure mother/son, father/son, mother/daughter would convey the same emotional message. Father and daughter doesn't seem any more emotionally manipulative a choice, I mean they have to pick one. Not quite sure what difference the girls hair length makes either, are we saying girls with short hair don't illicit a sympathetic response from people? You could be right, maybe, I guess perhaps that's why I don't have any friends.

matt1971

Postby matt1971 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 am

Sorry, it's partly me not realising what is happening in the PSA. I just realised that the kid is carrying a birthday present at the start of the short - that must be why she's wearing the fancy hair band and special outfit - they are on their way to a children's birthday party. I think the Rapunzel hair is just because most people still emotionally associate long hair with femininity. But like i said, the PSA would play out differently with a little boy. Sad little girls make adult feel protective.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:47 am

I've got to admit I still don't really see what difference it would make to the overall effect if the child was a boy. That's maybe on me, though.

Return to “General Chat”