Forum Security Levels?

Chat About... Anything!

Moderator: porcelaingirl

Deborah J

Forum Security Levels?

Postby Deborah J » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:44 pm

This might sound like a weird question, but when I'm on this forum on my computer it says "not secure" in the top corner, and when I post anything it goes red and there's a little triangle warning sign. All the other websites I go to have like the little padlock thing there which I think means they are secure. On my tablet it says not secure also, but it's less alarmingly presented. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me this happens to? Should I be worried? Because for sure I am, I mean I can't deny I really enjoy posting here, but everytime I do that kind of freaks me out. I'll put a picture to show you what I mean...

what's this.jpg
what's this.jpg (143.61 KiB) Viewed 448 times

Anyone know what's up with that?

DukeNukem 2417

Re: Forum Security Levels?

Postby DukeNukem 2417 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:49 pm

It's not the security rating of the forum itself, it's the security rating of your internet connection.
Through the darkness of future past,
The magician longs to see....
One chants out between two worlds:
"Fire...walk with me."

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:50 pm

DukeNukem 2417 wrote:It's not the security rating of the forum itself, it's the security rating of your internet connection.

But it's fine on literally every other website I go on, why does it just do that here?

DukeNukem 2417

Postby DukeNukem 2417 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Deborah J wrote:
DukeNukem 2417 wrote:It's not the security rating of the forum itself, it's the security rating of your internet connection.

But it's fine on literally every other website I go on, why does it just do that here?

You should be able to click the "not secure" thing and get more information, if you're using a browser like Firefox.
Through the darkness of future past,
The magician longs to see....
One chants out between two worlds:
"Fire...walk with me."

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:57 pm

It tells me nothing. If I click on "Learn More" there is another two pages of more nothing.

what's this.jpg
what's this.jpg (124.76 KiB) Viewed 440 times

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Lemme just step in with my Computer Science A Level knowledge - That's this specific site's security, not your own. The secury certificate is given out to reveiwed sites that meet certain encryption requirements, although since this site is quite small there isn't really a need to have so much encryption as there are no credit/debit card transactions taking place or other high profile secret measures being stored on here. Probably something you shouldn't worry about.
Yes you're right, they don't even sell Doctor Who figures in Dubai.

TheSparrow

Postby TheSparrow » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:10 pm

idontremembermylogin wrote:

Lemme just step in with my Computer Science A Level knowledge - That's this specific site's security, not your own. The secury certificate is given out to reveiwed sites that meet certain encryption requirements, although since this site is quite small there isn't really a need to have so much encryption as there are no credit/debit card transactions taking place or other high profile secret measures being stored on here. Probably something you shouldn't worry about.

Gah, you got there first. Flexing that A level stuff before I can.
I live here.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:36 pm

TheSparrow wrote:

Ok, so I just want to check I've got this right, it's not something wrong at my end, and it's not actually anything to worry about, yes?

This is why I'm glad I'm in a place full of smart people, though, I mean I can use a computer pretty efficiently, but it doesn't need to go very far into the technical side of things before I'm just lost. Which is kind of unfortunate because everyone else in my family is awful with technology, so I'm the go-to person for tech support, even though I really don't know all that much. So thanks for helping out, I get worried easily, so that's one less thing for me to worry about.

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:29 pm

TheSparrow wrote:

Ngl I literally just did this last week. You do CS too?
Yes you're right, they don't even sell Doctor Who figures in Dubai.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 pm

I did computer science at A level and i don't remember ever covering security that much, clearly your course is superior to mine :lol:

Return to “General Chat”