Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Gek2Win

Re: Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Gek2Win »

Very nice episode, back to form I would say.

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard »

Talk about an improvement! One of my favourites from the Chibnall era thus far! I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever, and I look forward to next week’s episode immensely!
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:16 pm
Still not a fan of this Tardis interior, but I really think they've gotten so much better at shooting it and using the space. It really looked quite good here, and I love the colours changing. Just a shame that the guest stars this series have all had better reactions to seeing it for the first time than the companions got last series!
Honestly if you just stick a better console in there the room would look amazing. The rotor is even good, but that console is an uncontrollable mess.

TW.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Whovastron wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:33 pm
ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Still not a fan of this Tardis interior, but I really think they've gotten so much better at shooting it and using the space. It really looked quite good here, and I love the colours changing. Just a shame that the guest stars this series have all had better reactions to seeing it for the first time than the companions got last series!
Honestly if you just stick a better console in there the room would look amazing. The rotor is even good, but that console is an uncontrollable mess.

TW.
Yeah I don't mind this interior but I don't think the console is quite the "centrepiece" that it's framed to be in a lot of shots, I particularly thought that when Tesla enters the TARDIS. Loving the colour changing they've stuck in now though, wonder what it would look like in green like the 9th/10th Doctor console room?

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

Doctor What wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:41 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:33 pm
ANewWatchBegins wrote:

TW.
Yeah I don't mind this interior but I don't think the console is quite the "centrepiece" that it's framed to be in a lot of shots, I particularly thought that when Tesla enters the TARDIS. Loving the colour changing they've stuck in now though, wonder what it would look like in green like the 9th/10th Doctor console room?
Absolutely agree! The console feels really formless and just like a jumble of junk in the middle, it doesn't have any presence or act as a centrepiece! I'm also not a huge fan of the crystal fingers on the outside but I think the console is really the thing letting it down. Could be interesting to have the Doctor build on to it as the series progresses and get to something with more presence

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

(Sigh) Why was that not episode 3?

Other than not deviating wildly from the "Doctor meets a famous person in the 19th century" playbook, it really played to strengths. If this had followed Spyfall and we were on to the Judoon next week, it'd be hard to argue things weren't looking like a series long home run, or at least consistently good.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

I've got a decent feeling about this now tbh.
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

The challenge with the Judoon is that they're side players: They weren't driving the plot in "Smith and Jones", and in all their other roles in broadcast Doctor Who they're just foot soldiers. (SJA and the audios did/do more direct plot based stuff with them.) I was intrigued if they'd be at the center of "Fugitive", but the summary makes it sound like they'll play the same role they did in "S&J" - Which is fine, provided the plot they're in is solid.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Crikey. Well, I wasn’t insanely bored or finding too many things to criticise.
That said, with the increased episode length (even if it is only ten minutes or so), you’d think there’d be enough time to get the plot going a little faster.
Also I am sick to bloody death of Jodie exposition-OMG. Just shut up! Please! For the love of all that is holy just stop her doing that.

Additionally, if this was the sort of RTD/Moffat era, this would be a somewhat forgettable fun romp filler-y type episode. It speaks volumes that, in turn, this is regarded as one of the best episodes of series 12.
No forum, no matter how great, can know it’s destiny. It cannot glimpse his part in the great story that is about to unfold. As it will be for the member arriving at the gates of DWT.net. A lad that will, in time, father the legend. His name: Merlin.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

Another solid 'alright' episode, neither great nor horrible. 6/10 I'd say, maybe 7 if I'm feeling generous. I thought this was one of Yaz's more 'useful' episodes if that makes sense which was good and it was great to see Rani, even if she wasn't actually Rani but an alien thing.

I've liked them all since Spyfall Part 2 actually, so my fears after Part 1 seem to have not come true, huzzah. It's interesting how much I hate Part 1 compared to the rest of the series so far, at this point I'm assuming it was just the spy-spoof genre they went with. I tended to really like the 'fun romp filler-y type episodes' that Merlin mentioned, so maybe that's why I'm liking the last two.