Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
SJF

Re: Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by SJF »

Okay so Tosin Cole has just been cast as the lead role in an American tv series that’s already been commissioned for two Seasons, so it’s looking unlikely that Ryan will stick around past Series 12.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

SJF wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:30 am
Okay so Tosin Cole has just been cast as the lead role in an American tv series that’s already been commissioned for two Seasons, so it’s looking unlikely that Ryan will stick around past Series 12.
Ooh. If Ryan goes, that and job concerns make Yaz popping off more likely. (And honestly, I feel like they aren't gonna leave that "asking Yaz' sister out" strand dangling if Chibnall/the writers don't doze off as they're wont to)

Cool as solo Graham and the Doctor would be, Ryan leaving (or dying, but I would hope the show would take the dramatic high road) would leave Graham obligated to stay with him. Come on, they built up to "Dad" last series and "Resolution" reinforced Graham's his proper regarded parent.

If Ryan really is out, all signs point to full reset, imo.

Galactic YoYo

Post by Galactic YoYo »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:05 pm
SJF wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:30 am
Ooh. If Ryan goes, that and job concerns make Yaz popping off more likely. (And honestly, I feel like they aren't gonna leave that "asking Yaz' sister out" strand dangling if Chibnall/the writers don't doze off as they're wont to)

Cool as solo Graham and the Doctor would be, Ryan leaving (or dying, but I would hope the show would take the dramatic high road) would leave Graham obligated to stay with him. Come on, they built up to "Dad" last series and "Resolution" reinforced Graham's his proper regarded parent.

If Ryan really is out, all signs point to full reset, imo.
I'd like to see 13, Graham and a new companion who is carried over to the 14th doctor.
"It seems that I am some kind of a Galactic yoyo" Jon Pertwee- The Claws of Axos

SJF

Post by SJF »

I’m fairly sure that the “asking Yaz’s sister out” thing was more to push the Yaz/Ryan relationship more. Like I think he was just teasing Yaz rather than actually being interested in her sister, with how worked up Yaz was getting about it.

And then she was staring daggers at Ryan and Bella when they were getting close in Orphan 55.

SJF

Post by SJF »

I don’t know, I just don’t buy the idea that Ryan and Graham have to be a package deal. Maybe it’s just because I want Solo Thirteen/Graham but honestly I don’t see why Graham wouldn’t stick with the Doctor if Ryan’s departure is amicable. It’s not like Graham has anything else going on and he’d be back visiting regularly anyway.

Spannerintheworks

SJF wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:36 pm
I don’t know, I just don’t buy the idea that Ryan and Graham have to be a package deal. Maybe it’s just because I want Solo Thirteen/Graham but honestly I don’t see why Graham wouldn’t stick with the Doctor if Ryan’s departure is amicable. It’s not like Graham has anything else going on and he’d be back visiting regularly anyway.
Though I agree 13/Graham would be/would've been a great dynamic.....he's a parent.

Seriously, I have friends with kids. If they take that seriously (and in Graham's case, again, one of the few arcs series 11 had and stuck with was "Dad"), that informs my opinion....

Graham would stay to be "Dad". (Imo, granted) It's more than dramatically justified.

Also, I agree Yaz and Ryan could hook up too. Not leaving the "Yaz' sister" strand dangling doesn't mean Ryan and the sister would be the ones who ultimately end up together. (The writing has been kinda wishy washy on that point though, so who knows. It wouldn't shock me if they did nothing with it either.)

Either way, I'm still wagering the crew stays together or collectively leaves, especially if Ryan's out. He has the least compelling reasons to stop adventuring, and now he looks likely out given an American series commitment. (Especially a new one he'd likely have to promote more - Doctor Who has a built in audience/establishment, so promo would likely be more rigorous on top of local filming.)

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard »

Seen a lot of people suggesting that Ian Gelder is playing the Black Guardian based on the way he teleports into the TARDIS. Thoughts? I’m up a return of the Black Guardian, but part of me hopes it’s the Valeyard because I love that character to bits.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:59 pm
Seen a lot of people suggesting that Ian Gelder is playing the Black Guardian based on the way he teleports into the TARDIS. Thoughts? I’m up a return of the Black Guardian, but part of me hopes it’s the Valeyard because I love that character to bits.
I would be personally furious if they’ve recast the Valeyard as a 70 year old man. Either cast someone younger or get Michael Jayston to come back.

I know Michael Jayston is considerably older than 70, but he’s still acting. I would understand if they wanted the Valeyard to roughly match up with the Doctor in age but it’d feel like a kick in the teeth if they get an old man to play the Valeyard and that old man isn’t Michael Jayston.

Unless Ian Gelder is just Mr Popplewick.
Last edited by SJF on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Valeyard wrote:
Interesting... I don't remember the teleporting clip. Which trailer was it in, again?

My first assumption is that he's probably an all-new character rather than one from the show's past. I mean, you don't have to be a guardian to materialize inside the TARDIS. Even an advertising bot did it in "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy."

Spannerintheworks

SJF wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:19 pm
Valeyard wrote:
I would be personally furious if they’ve recast the Valeyard as a 70 year old man. Either cast someone younger or get Michael Jayston to come back.
I completely agree. A aged, likely embittered but still malevolent Jayston? I'm all in.

Sadly I just don't think this production team is bold enough to reintroduce Classic Era characters who've not been in the show before. So far it's been either brand new or reintroduced Classics that already "work" with audiences (The Master, The Daleks, Judoon, the forthcoming Cybermen). I could be proved wrong and I hope I am: It'd have been great to see this show make a mark with a new Sea Devil or Draconian, or make a previous "meh" menace or "meh" story monster (The Vervoids, The Vardans, The Krotons - the list goes on!) something new and special. Or hey, even just a proper Sontaran menace. Haven't had one of those since Tennant. (Or "Pond Life", if we're technical about it.)

It's a shame because the show trotting out the same old the New Series has already done means it just gets compared to Tennant, Eccleston, Capaldi, Smith...and sometimes that hasn't done it favours. A killer Valeyard, Vervoid, or Chameleons story? Well, it could be argued those characters never enjoyed their full potential onscreen. Do it now, do it right, and you avoid comparison with any sacred cow episodes new series fans have.

I hope I'm wrong. But I'm betting the most we'll hear from the Valeyard or the Black Guardian this year is in this thread.