The All-Encompassing New Series Thread (2005-present)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
SJF

Re: The All-Encompassing New Series Thread (2005-present)

Post by SJF »

Guess Nardole isn’t a companion then

greeneggsandspam

Post by greeneggsandspam »

Nardole is the only canon companion

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

SJF wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 pm
Guess Nardole isn’t a companion then
Damn knew I’d forget someone. He’s somewhere in the middle

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Whovastron wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:56 pm
In my mind I see series 5 as the ‘big shift’ from the golden era of nuwho to everything else, but everything else is now 2/3rds of what we’ve had. Madness!
Ah, how everyone is different. I saw series 5 as an upswing. Maybe because I see Season 19 as the 'big shift.' :)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Also: Nardole is the only canon character, period.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pm
Where is it released?
RTD’s twitter linked to it (@russelldavies63)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:08 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:56 pm
In my mind I see series 5 as the ‘big shift’ from the golden era of nuwho to everything else, but everything else is now 2/3rds of what we’ve had. Madness!
Ah, how everyone is different. I saw series 5 as an upswing. Maybe because I see Season 19 as the 'big shift.' :)
I'm in the "Series 5 sees the quality improve" camp too. I honestly went through Series 1-4 loving the show in theory but often not in practice. As much as people criticize Series 11-12, I still prefer the APPROACH to the show now more than I did in the Davies years.

I KNOW it's beloved by many, and good on them. It's great entry level Who. I personally felt patronized and like I was watching a dumbed down version of the show, with little imagination involved. There are still many features of it I'm glad to see the back of. ("Hilarious" Historical families/personages bickering 00's style, aliens that seem inspired by Animal Planet binges, & companion families that seem WAY too involved.)

But man, Eccleston and Tennant are great. They both alone justify the love this era has. Slam dunk on Rose, Martha (ESPECIALLY Martha), & Donna too. And as much as I'd like to never hear Jackie Tyler or Martha's mum again, for me they got the family right with Donna.

And even then, I was glad to have it back and knew it could grow into something I loved better, as it often hinted ("Empty Child", "Human Nature/Family of the Blood", "Midnight", "The Waters of Mars") throughout. And in the same way I don't enjoy the execution of the McCoy years but LOVE what they bring to the show and the character, I'm glad the show laid some groundwork then that only positively grew and added more depth later. (Murray Gold's work being a perfect example.)

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

When I say the golden era of the show, I don’t mean to say series 5 is bad. Series 5 is amazing. But was definitely the start of what would be the decline in the show. It was the last ‘great’ series. Series since have had their moments. But nothing has been as consistently good since. Series 11&12 are in the “a little confused, but he got spirit” camp. Chi mall has good intentions, but the execution isn’t great. But series 12 was better than 11 so there’s hope for series 13. With only 1 companion and 2 head writers, this could be something very special

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I just never saw anything RTD did as particularly "golden." His casting sense was amazing. Eccleston is still my favorite new series Doctor, and Tennant defined the role for the 2000s. But for me while most of it was "all right," the only really stellar episodes were the ones Rusty didn't write. Clearly for him it was all about the soap opera, which had it's up-sides and it's down-sides that I won't go too deeply into here.

Still, Series One is in my top three favorites, along with Series Five and Series Ten.

greeneggsandspam

Post by greeneggsandspam »

did anyone else enjoy the watchalong of vincent and the doctor last night? I liked it so much I went to amsterdam and got myself a genuine van gogh painting, looks great on my wall, don't tell the police