Underrated/Overrated Stories

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Doctor Gamer

Underrated/Overrated Stories

Post by Doctor Gamer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Thought I’d start this thread seeing as I thought of a few but had no where to post it!

Underrated: Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks

Now I know this is pretty controversial but upon rewatching this story the other day I forgot how good it is. By no means am I saying it’s a perfect story, as I do have a few gripes with it but this story is commonly slammed by several members of the fandom. The soundtrack is amazing for the story, and there’s one piece of music in this episode that IIRC is never used again and is titled “evolution of the daleks” on the official soundtrack. The idea of the cult of scaro going to any lengths to preserve their existence is a great idea, however it’s not taken far enough and I feel like Sec Hybrid is barely used in Evolution and more could have been done with the character. Yeah the pig slaves are a bit weird but I think it’s a cool concept for Daleks to have slaves as how else do they use doors and things :lol:. Something I find great about this story is that it tries to normalise the Daleks in a setting we find familiar and iconic - New York and I think that makes them more scary than usual. To top it all off, the episode really captures the stereotypes of the 1920s with the music, set designing and the solemnness of the people. Slap on a great supporting cast and you’ve got yourself a pretty decent Dalek story!

Gek2Win

Re: Underrated/Overrated Stories

Post by Gek2Win » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 pm

I think that I have a controversial one.

Army of Ghosts/Doomsday: Overrated.

I think it's awful. Not in a Fear Her way, but it just feels generic and boring. Plus the ending is a little over-dramatic. I guess Iits because I don't like rose that much though. Cult of Skaro are good. Cybusbois are bad. Plus I'll never forget Tennant's "Oh noes they're back" face from the end of Army of Ghosts.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Gek2Win wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 pm

I think it's awful. Not in a Fear Her way, but it just feels generic and boring. Plus the ending is a little over-dramatic. I guess Iits because I don't like rose that much though. Cult of Skaro are good. Cybusbois are bad. Plus I'll never forget Tennant's "Oh noes they're back" face from the end of Army of Ghosts.
I completely agree! Army of ghosts is a really good story: the concepts of the ghosts is really good, the concept of Torchwood is quite good and the set up is really good because who would’ve thought that the ghosts were cybermen and the daleks were inside the orb?

Doomsday however, sucks. It’s doesn’t go anywhere. For all the set up of Ghosts, Doomsday doesn’t do it justice. Apart from the scene where the Daleks and Cybermen verbally fight and the part where they physically fight, the whole episode is set up for the end of the episode. And also they waste 10 hole minutes with rose’s goodbye!

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Gek2Win wrote:

I enjoy Fear Her. I don’t know why people hate it.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 pm

DalekCheese wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:58 pm
Gek2Win wrote:

I'm just using a universally recognised baseline. I also don't mind fear her.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:06 pm

DalekCheese wrote:
Gek2Win wrote:

It’s got a good concept but it just gets really boring in the middle. So much of it feels like filler imo.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Doctor Gamer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:06 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
It’s got a good concept but it just gets really boring in the middle. So much of it feels like filler imo.
I'm reporting you to the council. :lol:

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:11 pm
Doctor Gamer wrote:
DalekCheese wrote:
You just took a CAHNCIL tool out of a CAHNCIL van and now your digging up a CAHNCIL road! I’m reporting you to the CAHNCIL!

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:15 pm

Doctor Gamer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:12 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
Doctor Gamer wrote:

You just took a CAHNCIL tool out of a CAHNCIL van and now your digging up a CAHNCIL road! I’m reporting you to the CAHNCIL!
Was Clive a member of The Cult of Skaro (not the band) all along?! CAANsel van
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:16 pm

DalekCheese wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:15 pm
Doctor Gamer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:12 pm
Danoftardis wrote:

Was Clive a member of The Cult of Skaro (not the band) all along?! CAANsel van
:o maybe that’s why caan went mad. Not because of going back to the Time War or anything but because someone dug up his cahncil road!