Re: Underrated/Overrated Stories

Post by DalekCheese » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Doctor Gamer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:16 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:15 pm
Doctor Gamer wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:12 pm

You just took a CAHNCIL tool out of a CAHNCIL van and now your digging up a CAHNCIL road! I’m reporting you to the CAHNCIL!
Was Clive a member of The Cult of Skaro (not the band) all along?! CAANsel van
:o maybe that’s why caan went mad. Not because of going back to the Time War or anything but because someone dug up his cahncil road!
Noooo
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Terror of the Vervoids is criminally underrated and deserves more love. Needs more love and respect.
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Valeyard wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:22 pm
Terror of the Vervoids is criminally underrated and deserves more love. Needs more love and respect.
I was just rewatching it the other day and thinking exactly the same thing, it's great, I don't understand why so few people like it.

Avon

Post by Avon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Oh how I could fill this thread to the seems :lol:

I'll keep it short and positive and name three, Five Doctors, Warriors of the Deep and Battlefield, especially battlefield, are all underrated and I will die on that hill. 5 docs is a personal fav and yet people bash it to high heaven, I find that quite shocking, yes, lots of missed opportunities but it's a fantastic introduction to Who for new fans in many ways and, is just a great fun adventure, and, Pertwee vs the Cybermen! Same goes for Warriors, great fun, great sets, and sea devils!

Battlefield, everyone seems to like to take chunks off that, even given the hasty rework of the ending I personally think it's one of Sylv's best! I have a great love for medieval history and Arthurian legend, as well as UNIT, the Brig, extra dimensional demons, all out battle scenes, broadswords, Angela Bruce, mysticism and dark arts, parallel worlds, and Ace blowing things up, as usual, with Sylv and Sophie on top form, fantastic character moments, with some nice timey whimey stuff going on with the Merlin angle. What's not to love? :D

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Avon wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 pm
Oh how I could fill this thread to the seems :lol:

I'll keep it short and positive and name three, Five Doctors, Warriors of the Deep and Battlefield, especially battlefield, are all underrated and I will die on that hill. 5 docs is a personal fav and yet people bash it to high heaven, I find that quite shocking, yes, lots of missed opportunities but it's a fantastic introduction to Who for new fans in many ways and, is just a great fun adventure, and, Pertwee vs the Cybermen! Same goes for Warriors, great fun, great sets, and sea devils!
Warriors of the Deep is my big story for defending, I think it's one of the best, and yet it constantly ends up on lists of the worst, it's a great story and I will never think otherwise.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Now I’m sure this is a pretty controversial one, but Revelation of the Daleks is honestly such a bad and boring story. Through out the whole of the first part, all we see of The Doctor and Peri is just them walking around; they don’t even get to their destination until episode 2. In fact the pace in this episode is terribly inconsistent. Until the last act-ish of part 2 I was honestly so bored by the story. The Daleks are hardly used and Davros is the main focus, which after 3 stories focusing on Davros, I feel like the character could’ve used a rest at this point. The episode is full of plot ideas that go nowhere and some of it just doesn’t make sense. Now it’s not all bad, Colin Baker’s performance is great in this story and the idea about the glass Dalek mutants is a great concept which unfortunately is never taken anywhere!

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:56 am

I really don't like revelation at all, I'm not really a fan of resurrection either to be honest. Agree with Avon though, 5 doctors is wonderful I love watching it, warriors is great too. I've not seen battlefield for a few years but I recall enjoying it, what's not to like about Ace and the Brigadier in the same episode.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm actually a huge fan of "Revelation" (barring the DJ,) but you can't escape the fact that the Doctor does next to nothing in it beyond walk to Davros' lair just in time for the final showdown.

"Vengeance on Varos" has a similar problem. The Doctor is stuck in the TARDIS for the first 25 minutes, then wanders the halls for the next 25 while the drama is carried by characters with something actually at stake.

Though, ironically, I think "Vengeance on Varos" is overrated. :)
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:46 pm

And regarding "Battlefield," I think the Special Edition takes a rather muddled and disappointing story and turns it into something pretty fun and worth the watch.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:47 pm

Controversial opinion: "The Beast Below" is actually quite good the second and third time around.