Who would you cast as the Doctor?

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Lassar

Who would you cast as the Doctor?

Post by Lassar » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Is there an actor you have in mind who you think would make a really good Doctor? I think Phoebe Waller Bridge would do a great job.

Deborah J

Re: Who would you cast as the Doctor?

Post by Deborah J » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:39 pm

I think Brenda Blethyn would be quite good at it, although she's a lot older than the average doctor, she's very good in Vera, kind of that prickly exterior but with a warmth and kindness beneath, which is a good level for a potential doctor.

SJF

Post by SJF » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:29 pm

David Warner. We already know how amazing he is at it from playing the Alternate Universe Third Doctor for Big Finish.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:46 pm

SJF wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:29 pm
David Warner. We already know how amazing he is at it from playing the Alternate Universe Third Doctor for Big Finish.
Yes! A thousand times yes!

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Nigel Havers. Because he's Nigel Havers and it'd be funny.

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:07 pm

Lydia West who played Bethany in Years and Years

Galactic YoYo

Post by Galactic YoYo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:41 pm

I have two ideas of how i'd write and therefore cast the Doctor.
First would be a woman in her mid-late 40s with Brown Curly hair, a part of this Doctor's character would be suffering from Schizophrenia and has another incarnation, a man of the same age living inside her head.
For the Main incarnation, I would go for either Lisa Dwyer Hogg (People, Places and Things) or Charlotte Riley (Ripper Street)
the other incarnation would be played by Dominic West.

The second Doctor I would have, would be man in 40s or 50s but has a youthful personality, unsure of who'd I cast for this one.
"It seems that I am some kind of a Galactic yoyo" Jon Pertwee- The Claws of Axos

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:52 pm

I personally think we ought to stay well away from any more female Doctors, I really do.
I’ve tried to keep an open mind, always have, because I’d sort of like to be proven wrong, and shown that having a female doctor can work, but so far, it does not.
Also not a fan of the way people start saying you’re sexist or misogynistic because you don’t want a female in the role.
Now that’s out the way,
Billy Connolly would be an incredible Doctor. So would Richard Ayoade, and I’d love to see Colin Morgan, potentially. He has the talent, it’s just whether I can dissociate him far enough from Merlin to accept it.
No forum, no matter how great, can know it’s destiny. It cannot glimpse his part in the great story that is about to unfold. As it will be for the member arriving at the gates of DWT.net. A lad that will, in time, father the legend. His name: Merlin.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Paul Merton.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

SJF

Post by SJF » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:13 pm

I’m really really awkward when it comes to Doctor choices because I absolutely despise any of the obvious choices because they just seem so boring to me. You know, your Tom Hiddlestons, Benedict Cumberbatches, Eddie Redmaynes, Richard Ayoades, Phoebe Waller-Bridges and Olivia Colemans.

I also physically recoil at the notion of a young person playing the Doctor. Mid thirties is as young as I’d go but they’d also have to look that age and not be one of those weirdos who’s like 40 but looks and acts like they’re in their late 20s.

My top 3 choices would probably be:

1. David Warner - He’s just amazing as the Doctor on audio honestly, and could probably bring even more to the role onscreen, although at his age it’s never gonna happen.

2. Paterson Joseph - He’s basically just brilliant in everything. Why wouldn’t you want Alan Johnson as the Doctor?

3. Diane Morgan - As Philomena Cunk, she’s got a really Doctory look, and I could definitely see her bringing the right humour to the role, but I’m not 100% sure if she’s got the acting chops for it.