Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:25 pm
Doctor Gamer wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:12 pm
SJF wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:51 pm
I love the episode 4 title

Is it just me?
I like it. People were saying on GB it sounds like the name of a fair stall or magicians act or something cheesy like that. What people forget is sometimes doctor who is meant to be a light-hearted show and not every episode is meant to be serious. And plus it’s just a title. Don’t judge a book by its cover and all that.
It's not bad per se. It's just kinda desperate.

"Heeeeey Doctor Who fans, y'know that internet-famous hero so cool David Bowie played him in a movie??? He's IN THIS ONE! Get ready for it, and there's TERROR so it won't bore you or just be a history lesson!"

Y'know what'd have been ballsy? Calling it "The Night of Terror". Or making it a pure historical. (For all I know, it could be the latter, but come on: We know better. They didn't do that with "Rosa" or "Vincent and the Doctor", and either was conceptually strong enough to sell with no aliens/external sci-fi interference.)
Nah it’s the one with the Scorpion people led by Rani aka Queen Skithra

Spannerintheworks

Re: Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Spannerintheworks »

SJF wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:25 pm
Doctor Gamer wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:12 pm

I like it. People were saying on GB it sounds like the name of a fair stall or magicians act or something cheesy like that. What people forget is sometimes doctor who is meant to be a light-hearted show and not every episode is meant to be serious. And plus it’s just a title. Don’t judge a book by its cover and all that.
It's not bad per se. It's just kinda desperate.

"Heeeeey Doctor Who fans, y'know that internet-famous hero so cool David Bowie played him in a movie??? He's IN THIS ONE! Get ready for it, and there's TERROR so it won't bore you or just be a history lesson!"

Y'know what'd have been ballsy? Calling it "The Night of Terror". Or making it a pure historical. (For all I know, it could be the latter, but come on: We know better. They didn't do that with "Rosa" or "Vincent and the Doctor", and either was conceptually strong enough to sell with no aliens/external sci-fi interference.)
Nah it’s the one with the Scorpion people led by Rani aka Queen Skithra
(Sigh) Well, I want to believe it'll work, but it already sounds overstuffed.

Imagine if they try to fit "The Timeless Child" arc development in there too.

And something for Yaz to do. :P

Galactic YoYo

Post by Galactic YoYo »

A potentially good story let down by poor pacing, it feels like a two parter if part 1 was condenced into the first five minutes of part 2. No time to get invested in the guest cast, setting or plot. Way to much awkward and rushed exposition so no moments to absorb information. Nice Monster design. I found the Elderly lady irritating, Jay from the Inbetweeners was wasted and why does it turn into a preachy remake of mysterious planet in the last 15 minutes?
"It seems that I am some kind of a Galactic yoyo" Jon Pertwee- The Claws of Axos

idontremembermylogin

Post by idontremembermylogin »

Wow what a subtle message there at the end
i'm boring now

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Wait there was a message water must have been too subtle
AI is here!!

TARDIS23

Post by TARDIS23 »

That was alright, very mysterious planet with the underground revelation that it’s Earth. Liked the monsters. Not too keen on the heavy handed message that the ending turned out to be was a bit too on the nose for my liking.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer »

Galactic YoYo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:59 pm
A potentially good story let down by poor pacing, it feels like a two parter if part 1 was condenced into the first five minutes of part 2. No time to get invested in the guest cast, setting or plot. Way to much awkward and rushed exposition so no moments to absorb information. Nice Monster design. I found the Elderly lady irritating, Jay from the Inbetweeners was wasted and why does it turn into a preachy remake of mysterious planet in the last 15 minutes?
I completely agree. Whereas episodes 1&2 felt a bit fresh, this episode felt exactly like a series 11 one like Kerblam or Tsranga and you could change it out for one of those and nothing would really change.
BENNI! BENNI! WHERE’S MY BENNI?

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

That was basically The Mysterious Planet crossed with Paradise Towers. I enjoyed it for the most part, and as good as the message is I could do without what is basically a speech to camera at the end. Some of the editing felt weird to me as well, a few bits where people have moved a lot inbetween shots.

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins »

I liked it more than I expected to but again I feel like there a lot of good ideas that weren't brilliantly executed and a lot of moments very rushed. I liked that it had quite an 80s Who feel in terms of design. Good twist, good creature design. Thought the twist with the mum and the daughter just did not work and came out of nowhere, but interesting idea having that discourse between generations present given what the episode was getting at. It was done sort of better with Jay from the Inbetweeners and his son Billie Eilish but still not great. I think there was a lot of potentially good stuff in there let down by pacing and the cramming of so many things. The end speech was very preachy. I absolutely agree with it, but it felt like it totally broke the fourth wall and was being delivered right down the barrel. It seems like a lot of people really hated it, I definitely didn't. It just felt like pacing was the main issue, and some bad execution of ideas.

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

I don't like this one. The biggest problem for me was the lack of a finale, and therefore proper explanations, where the Dregs come from being the biggest offender. Really, it feels like the message came first and foremost and the rest was written in to make the episode. I just feel that too much is sacrificed in service to the message, and it just makes the episode not fun when it's not building up to anything and the reveals and twists are taken in the episode's stride. It's definitely a compelling concept, however, and I think the message is a good one, especially now, but if it is detrimental to the episode then the writer's priorities need to be re-evaluated somewhat.