Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
SJF

Re: Series 12 discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by SJF »

I actually really like Series 1 and 2 of Torchwood.

In fact I think Series 1 is really underrated.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I'll admit I've never given it a fair shake.

I just felt the pilot had so many... well... "problems" that I didn't feel like hanging in there at the time.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

Torchwood is an underrated gem of British TV

TW.

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:04 pm
I'll admit I've never given it a fair shake.

I just felt the pilot had so many... well... "problems" that I didn't feel like hanging in there at the time.
It’s just as well you didn’t watch episode 2.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:32 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:58 pm
This era was supposed to be more "down to earth" & "real".
Series 11 was, and everyone complained.
Was it though? Admittedly, the show starts that way ("Woman who fell to Earth") but outside of Yaz' family popping up, Grace flashbacks (and later, Ryan's Dad) occasionally, I'd actually charge the companions are as blandly written as some in the 1980s. (My test is this: If the dialogue is interchangeable and offers nothing of character or distinct perspective unique to the character, it's.....not good. Example: You can't just switch Bill & Nardole's dialogue while conversing with 12. An extreme example, but consider you've got three characters with different age, background, job and life experience. I shouldn't be able to switch their lines around and have it sound the same with no changes, and I can. Try it, it works way too often in S11.)

In the 80s, it was a problem with the Adric-Nyssa-Tegan crew and Turlough-Nyssa-Tegan crew that they'd be written generic lines that didn't take their backgrounds or character into account. (Too many examples to count, but call to mind any time Adric or Nyssa are written like uneducated humans, or that Nyssa has no visible beef with the Master.) I really think this is the heart of the companion problem now, they often have no distinctive voice and unlike their 80s counterparts lack a fantastic background to start.

So in the same way that in spite of all the advertised Whittaker hate I dont think she's the problem (I'd charge even if Capaldi or even Tennant were in the lead we'd STILL have a lot of vitriol being thrown at the stories/writing), I'd say it's not the companions or (mostly) the actors and their "realistic" basis that are the issue, it's the fact they're often written bland or given so little character beats in series 11 that I think caused the hate.

This did get better in series 12, but in many cases (ie, the episodes people generally seem to like less) it rears its head all over again in various scenes.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

Resolution of the Daleks is such a weird choice for the, apparently Christmas Eve, special. I pretty much considered the last special to be called Resolution of the Daleks anyway. Just weird that it’s the same title with that tacked on.

TW.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Whovastron wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:13 am
Resolution of the Daleks is such a weird choice for the, apparently Christmas Eve, special. I pretty much considered the last special to be called Resolution of the Daleks anyway. Just weird that it’s the same title with that tacked on.

TW.
It’s actually Revolution of the Daleks, so it’s a different title.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

SJF wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:32 am
Whovastron wrote:

TW.
It’s actually Revolution of the Daleks, so it’s a different title.
Wow it is big brain time
I can’t believe I didn’t notice it was an entirely different word :lol: ignore me everyone please

TW.

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf »

Whovastron wrote:

TW.
Christmas Eve? Seriously, is that confirmed?

SJF

Post by SJF »

Neon Wolf wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:04 pm
Whovastron wrote:

TW.
Christmas Eve? Seriously, is that confirmed?
Isn’t the official word that they haven’t decided yet whether it’s going to be Christmas or New Years?