Time Lord Victorious

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Deborah J

Re: Time Lord Victorious

Post by Deborah J »

they should stick him in it again and do some more, it's recent enough that he wouldn't look all that much older

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I wonder if anyone knows where the costume is. Like, if Big Finish called up the BBC to ask to borrow it for a photo shoot, who would even know?

Not that Big Finish has the budget for big photo shoots. Or even small ones, for that matter.

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:40 pm
I wonder if anyone knows where the costume is. Like, if Big Finish called up the BBC to ask to borrow it for a photo shoot, who would even know?

Not that Big Finish has the budget for big photo shoots. Or even small ones, for that matter.
McGann bizarrely doesn’t like having his photo taken anyway. It’s the reason why he’s usually missing from cast photos and his Dark Eyes shoot was one of the few times he was enthusiastic about it because he got to make up his own costume.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

SJF wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:44 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:40 pm

McGann bizarrely doesn’t like having his photo taken anyway. It’s the reason why he’s usually missing from cast photos and his Dark Eyes shoot was one of the few times he was enthusiastic about it because he got to make up his own costume.
Interesting. Does he just hate the clothes?

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Interesting thing stuck out to me. From thedoctorwhosite.com -- no doubt lifted directly from the press release:
Time Lord Victorious will see partners including Big Finish Productions, Penguin Random House, Doctor Who Magazine, Titan Comics, Escape Hunt, Eaglemoss Hero Collector, Immersive Everywhere, Maze Theory, BBC Books and BBC Audio, unite to tell a brand new Doctor Who story.
Eaglemoss got in on this, but not Character Options? I wonder why.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:30 pm
Interesting thing stuck out to me. From thedoctorwhosite.com -- no doubt lifted directly from the press release:
Time Lord Victorious will see partners including Big Finish Productions, Penguin Random House, Doctor Who Magazine, Titan Comics, Escape Hunt, Eaglemoss Hero Collector, Immersive Everywhere, Maze Theory, BBC Books and BBC Audio, unite to tell a brand new Doctor Who story.
In fairness, Character HAVE been busy.

Or maybe they can't announce their involvement yet pending likeness approvals or that sort of thing.

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf »

skifflebits wrote:
It's unlikely that an official press release would omit a major brand partner so I can only assume that CO are not involved in this venture. The fan base isn't as large as it once was and therefor the demand for figures comes from a small but passionate group of fans. There's a reason why these figures release exclusively through B&M now and with the recent mass release wave sitting around I don't expect that to change.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Neon Wolf wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:42 pm
skifflebits wrote:
It's unlikely that an official press release would omit a major brand partner so I can only assume that CO are not involved in this venture. The fan base isn't as large as it once was and therefor the demand for figures comes from a small but passionate group of fans. There's a reason why these figures release exclusively through B&M now and with the recent mass release wave sitting around I don't expect that to change.
Well, the fanbase is large enough to support Eaglemoss, but they have a different business model selling directly to fans. CO has to get funding from pre-sales to retailers to make the product, so it's a harder road. I don't know if they were approached or not, but I could see why they wouldn't be able to participate.

But who knows, maybe there's a wave targeting the end of the year, they just couldn't commit early enough to put themselves in the press release? (Pure speculation, obviously.)

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:25 pm
Well, the fanbase is large enough to support Eaglemoss, but they have a different business model selling directly to fans. CO has to get funding from pre-sales to retailers to make the product, so it's a harder road. I don't know if they were approached or not, but I could see why they wouldn't be able to participate.

But who knows, maybe there's a wave targeting the end of the year, they just couldn't commit early enough to put themselves in the press release? (Pure speculation, obviously.)
I'd imagine eaglemoss is minuscule compared to what CO do at their peak although I've never really been into collecting those types of lines so I can't be certain. I imagine part of the 'Limited Edition' gimmick with B&M is that CO are deliberately making far less units because they don't want their product clogging up shelves as it hurts the chances of future waves and it's not a great look for any brand.

If you look at what happened with the Star Wars line after its popularity waned, Hasbro produce less units for the SW brand than they do for their Marvel figures which is why when you have a character who's actually quite popular, like Mando, he sells out and is re released three times because they have to keep going back and producing more (I imagine the recent Ashoka figure will receive the same treatment).

It's possible CO could come onboard the project later with some B&M Dalek sets but I wouldn't expect anything more than paint variants however that's fine by me, personally if it's Daleks I'm in :) .

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Neon Wolf wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:42 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:25 pm

I'd imagine eaglemoss is minuscule compared to what CO do at their peak although I've never really been into collecting those types of lines so I can't be certain. I imagine part of the 'Limited Edition' gimmick with B&M is that CO are deliberately making far less units because they don't want their product clogging up shelves as it hurts the chances of future waves and it's not a great look for any brand.

If you look at what happened with the Star Wars line after its popularity waned, Hasbro produce less units for the SW brand than they do for their Marvel figures which is why when you have a character who's actually quite popular, like Mando, he sells out and is re released three times because they have to keep going back and producing more (I imagine the recent Ashoka figure will receive the same treatment).

It's possible CO could come onboard the project later with some B&M Dalek sets but I wouldn't expect anything more than paint variants however that's fine by me, personally if it's Daleks I'm in :) .
I agree, the Star Wars Black Series has a great model. Limited release for desirable high quality figures, and then "archive" rereleases for the really popular figures (Yoda, Boba Fett, etc.) that they sold through fast.

With Classic Daleks clearly "on the menu" as well as New Series, I could see Paint variants as an interim set to represent this. Especially with "Revolution of the Daleks" popping up at the same time; Doing SOME kind of Dalek interrim set would be a good move.