Big Finish

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Deborah J

Re: Big Finish

Post by Deborah J » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Or should they make like their name and just finish already, huh?

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm
Or should they make like their name and just finish already, huh?
My wallet has certainly taken a Big Finish with all these sales :cry:
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

SJF

Post by SJF » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Valeyard wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm
With the announcement of the Sixth Doctor and Peri boxset, a lot of people are speculating that Big Finish may be discontinuing the main range in favour of each Doctor having their own range of adventures, weather in boxset or single disc releases like with the Fourth and Eighth Doctor Adventures. Personally, I don't believe that's the case at all (I'm just happy that we've got a boxset that can fill in the gap between the Fifth Doctor boxset and the Seventh Doctor New Adventures boxset for the collection I'm slowly building up) but I am curious as to other people's opinion on the matter. Should Big Finish discontinue the Main Range and change their approach, or should they stick with it?
They already looked into it and determined it wasn’t feasible. Personally I don’t like the idea unless they were gonna do something like two sets a year per Doctor. Why would I want to go from 6-8 hours of content per Main Range Doctor per-year to just 4?

Plus we’d probably end up losing individual covers and the like. I just think a turn to the Boxset format will be more detrimental than beneficial.

I do think they should change the Main Range somewhat, but I think they’d be better moving away from the trilogy format and having a more varied line up of characters. Obviously part of the reason the Trilogies have stuck so much is because they tend to record them in blocks so usually when certain actors are available they’ll end up appearing multiple times that year, but there’s no reason that they couldn’t just bank the additional stories and say record three stories with Seven and Ace one year, but then release the three stories over a period of three or four years rather than over three months the year after recording.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures is considered one of the weakest ranges that Big Finish has to offer, despite being one of the most profitable. I really wouldn’t want to give up the Main Range in favour of replicating that for other Doctors.

Galactic YoYo

Post by Galactic YoYo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 am

Bernice Summerfield audio story competition. This time you are also allowed to include the Unbound David Warner Doctor and his Tardis in the story.
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/write- ... -adventure
"It seems that I am some kind of a Galactic yoyo" Jon Pertwee- The Claws of Axos

SJF

Post by SJF » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:55 am

I wonder how he’s gonna end up with a TARDIS again, that’ll be interesting seeing as his own one died, but it appears he’s got one again in the new set and this story, which is apparently gonna be set during the new set.

Unless he brought his TARDIS with him and it was energised by the universe jump or something.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:21 pm

As JNT used to say, "If we can regenerate the Master with just a few lines of dialogue..."
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:05 am

I never realised you could buy Big Finish CDs from the WH Smiths website! They've got quite a few boxsets for around the pre-order price range (£20-£25ish) including the War Doctor, Doom Coalition and River Song, as well as even some of the limited editions like The Last Adventure!

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:48 pm

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/20-yea ... big-finish

Another sale, this time containing a lot of "part twos" of things from the last 20th anniversary sale (e.g. Dark Eyes 2, Jago and Litefoot 2, War Doctor 2)

Think i'll pick up J&L, War Doctor and Counter measures. And maybe Dark Eyes 2, is it any good?

SJF

Post by SJF » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Doctor What wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Another sale, this time containing a lot of "part twos" of things from the last 20th anniversary sale (e.g. Dark Eyes 2, Jago and Litefoot 2, War Doctor 2)

Think i'll pick up J&L, War Doctor and Counter measures. And maybe Dark Eyes 2, is it any good?
I’m not a massive fan of Dark Eyes 2, but it’s got at least one really good story.

The Traitor - Basically it reintroduces Liv Chenka and is mostly focused on her, but it’s a Dalek heavy Nick Briggs script. I really don’t like it, but then for me, when Briggs is good, he’s excellent (Dark Eyes 1) and when he’s bad, it’s some of the worst Doctor Who you can experience. I really wouldn’t recommend this episode, and I don’t think many people like it.

The White Room - Reintroduces Molly. It’s pretty average and has the Viyrans in it. Honestly it’s not much to talk about. People tend to either really like it or just think it’s meh.

Time's Horizon -It starts to get a bit better here, The Doctor, Molly and Liv are all united and the Eminence are reintroduced. It’s basically a base under siege with zombies and follows on from the Traitor for Liv. It’s got some nice ideas in there, and I quite enjoyed it but it’s certainly not the best you’re gonna find from Big Finish.

Eyes of the Master - Definitely the best of the set. The Doctor, Molly and Liv vs The Alex Macqueen Master On Baker Street. The Master as an optometrist is actually terrifying like the last place you’d want that guy is poking about in your eyeballs. It also sees the return of the Eighth Doctor's purple Volkswagen Beetle from the novels, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Oh yeah and, I’ll probably get that War Doctor Set as I picked up the first one in that last sale and you can’t really go wrong at a tenner.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:18 pm

SJF wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:16 pm
Doctor What wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:48 pm

I’m not a massive fan of Dark Eyes 2, but it’s got at least one really good story.

The Traitor - Basically it reintroduces Liv Chenka and is mostly focused on her, but it’s a Dalek heavy Nick Briggs script. I really don’t like it, but then for me, when Briggs is good, he’s excellent (Dark Eyes 1) and when he’s bad, it’s some of the worst Doctor Who you can experience. I really wouldn’t recommend this episode, and I don’t think many people like it.

The White Room - Reintroduces Molly. It’s pretty average and has the Viyrans in it. Honestly it’s not much to talk about. People tend to either really like it or just think it’s meh.

Time's Horizon -It starts to get a bit better here, The Doctor, Molly and Liv are all united and the Eminence are reintroduced. It’s basically a base under siege with zombies and follows on from the Traitor for Liv. It’s got some nice ideas in there, and I quite enjoyed it but it’s certainly not the best you’re gonna find from Big Finish.

Eyes of the Master - Definitely the best of the set. The Doctor, Molly and Liv vs The Alex Macqueen Master On Baker Street. The Master as an optometrist is actually terrifying like the last place you’d want that guy is poking about in your eyeballs. It also sees the return of the Eighth Doctor's purple Volkswagen Beetle from the novels, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Oh yeah and, I’ll probably get that War Doctor Set as I picked up the first one in that last sale and you can’t really go wrong at a tenner.
Hmm I think i'll save money for now and give it a miss.