Big Finish

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
skifflebits

Re: Big Finish

Post by skifflebits »

I just hope it's all true. Eccles is the most under-rated of all the new series Doctors.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

SJF wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 am
The Outcast wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:16 am
I mean, TLV is a multi-medium event, it's entirely possible that the 9th Doctor is only featured in the books and comics.

I personally reckon Big Finish is telling 8's side the story, whilst the books are telling 10's and Titan comics will be telling 9's, with DWM, Escape Hunt, MazeTheory and whatever telling small side stories like it seems the Master short trips will be.

So yeah, basically I don't think 9 will be in it, and Big Finish were telling the truth about the Eccleston stuff in both the podcast and twitter comments about it. Better to be pleasantly surprised if it is real than disappointed when it isn't.
Titan are just doing a Thirteen/Ten story. So if Nine isn’t in BF, then he’s only in that one book.

Plus the evidence supporting him actually coming back far outweighs people thinking “oh well it’s Eccleston he probably won’t come back”
So, my backing your theory has to do with who Eccleston has a problem with, and what he will and won't do.

It's pretty clear Eccleston (per his own words) has his biggest issues with the BBC and secondarily Russell T Davies (likely because he sided with the Beeb at the time). Eccleston was willing to meet with Moffat regarding the 50th and even seemed familiar with Moffat's era/characters. He's been aware and openly supportive of Whittaker. But Davies and he speak of each other the same way civil discussions of divorcees go; And considering how Davies will gush that's saying something.

Eccleston has done a couple fan conventions and seemed very cool based on what I've heard. He seemed happy talking with people I know lucky enough to meet him in real life regarding Who, especially if kids were involved. What he notably WOULDN'T do recently was the BBC charity that literally every other living Doctor did.

Big Finish, while approved and licensed by the BBC, are not a BBC entity nor require Eccleston to work with or benefit the BBC. Therefore, I find him doing audios a feasible way of him working and interacting/pleasing the fans that he seems genuinely grateful for, all while not dealing with the BBC or anyone he simply won't on principle.

Even if it's a limited or one time thing for Time Lord Victorious, and even without the webpage discovery it's a very reasonable idea that is consistent with how Eccleston has worked and made decisions past.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Well-reasoned, I must say.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

Firstly, the Titan 13 and 10th Doctor stuff isn't there TLV tie in, like how the last one they did wasn't a tie in to it.

Secondly, Eccleston has said in the past he won't do Big Finish, tho it seems he flip/flops with what he says about it, but I reckon that's more him trying to be kind to the fans by not saying no outright or something. It seems to me that Doctor Who was during a difficult time for him and he doesn't really want to revisit that role with the audios and stuff, which is understandable. As for the BBC charity thing, I think him doing it has more to do with his personal views not lining up with what was being supported, he seems to believe that NHS charities shouldn't need to be a thing as the Government should be giving it proper funding, which is very fair.

Either way, Big Finish have denied Eccleston's involvement twice now, both before the "leak" in the Big Finish podcast and with a few tweets after the "leak".

So no, Sarah Jane fan, I'm not saying this because "Oh it's Eccleston", I'm saying this because there's very little evidence to support the view he's coming back outside of a "leak" which Big Finish has said was fake and some people's interpretation of Eccleston's comments.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Just to let you know, I will definitely say I told you so when it comes out that I was right.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

And if it turns out you were wrong? Honestly, I'd like you to be right, but I just don't see it happening, and I don't want people getting overly hyped, thinking Eccleston is coming back and then for Thursday to roll around and nothing to happen, leaving people disappointed, and I especially don't want people going off at Big Finish because something they imagined would happen didn't.

That's it for this conversation for me tho, otherwise we might just go round and round in circles.

SJF

Post by SJF »

There’s a bit of a difference between getting your hopes up, and it literally having been leaked. BF have just shoddily denied it. But they could hardly say it’s true anyway.

- Christopher Eccleston's name was added to the contributor section of the BF website along with the names of a load of new actors that have since been confirmed as appearing in the Time Lord Victorious audios.

- When people mentioned this to BF, they denied it and claimed it was a trick for people that go looking for these things and they weren’t working with Christopher Eccleston. They also claimed that there were many other names like this on the system. Except there isn’t. It was found the day it was added and as soon as it was found out, they hastily took it down and replaced it with the name “Kit Williams”. People pointed out that Kit Williams is an author who wrote a book called Masquerade furthering the speculation about Eccleston. I thought that was perhaps a step too far and found evidence of an actor called Kit Williams so didn't really buy that particular conspiracy. And then not long after people were talking about it, the Kit Williams name was also removed from the system.

- The three Paul McGann audios, along with two Master short trips for TLV were announced, again with all the actors that popped up along with Chris Eccleston's name. They then teased that there’s one final special TLV project to be announced that they couldn’t talk about yet and would be announced soon.

- These kind of leaks happen all the time with BF. Sometimes they ignore them, sometimes they deny them and sometimes they’ll admit it. It just depends on the context of what the release is. Like Sheridan Smith returning for a new boxset is pretty small fry so they just admitted it was true. Eccleston on the other hand would be a pretty big deal, especially if not everything was sorted out yet and the fact that the BBC have control of the TLV announcements. BF have denied things before that have later turned out to be true, and in this case their lie wasn’t very convincing.

Now the Thursday announcement is just pure speculation on my part. Thursday may well come to pass and we won’t have a reveal, but until that final TLV project is announced, it’s all up in the air.

I would suggest that the fact that they’ve kept back the final TLV announcement and also have two more multi-Doctor Out of Time stories to announce (despite having already announced the David Tennant one, which would arguably be the main draw) is rather telling.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Okay so Titan Comics TLV content has now been announced.

It’s basically a two part Tenth Doctor and Daleks story.

So that means Eccleston is only in that one book.

Unless you know, BF.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast »

SJF wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:55 pm
Okay so Titan Comics TLV content has now been announced.

It’s basically a two part Tenth Doctor and Daleks story.

So that means Eccleston is only in that one book.

Unless you know, BF.
Or he could be in DWM's comic.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

I mean, I'm on the "He's likely involved with the audios" bandwagon already, but today I considered this:

Why even work the 9th Doctor in if he's going to be minimally involved/used?

Seriously, it's like asking fans to be annoyed if you prominently picture Eccleston in your main promo and Tennant and McGann do all the heavy lifting. Especially when you could chase down other Doctors who would happily do audios. They easily could've roped in Alex Kingston, Michelle Gomez, or even maybe John Simm - and the latter two easily could've been made relevant to the plot given there are Ainley and Delgado stories tied in.

So, really, when given the choice of involving say, Tom Baker, Colin Baker, etc. OR reuniting Tennant and Kingston OR reuniting Simm and Tennant OR having McGann stare down a multi-Master face-off (maybe reunite him against Roberts).....you're gonna tell me Big Finish would decline on all that clearly attainable hype and instead use Eccleston's likeness, let down everyone when it's Jake Dudman OR not use him on audio at all AND hold back announcing that there's no Eccleston?

I mean, seems like a bad plan.....if you don't have Eccleston involved. ;)