Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
SJF

Re: Big Finish

Post by SJF » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Doctor What wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:42 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:40 pm
With the flash sale currently on, can anyone recommend me Philip Hinchcliffe Presents Vol. 1? It’s a good £40 cheaper, but is it worth me buying?
I was wondering this too, it's normally so expensive so the current price is tempting.
The Ghosts of Gralstead is my favourite Fourth Doctor story. If you’re a fan of Talons, then this’ll probably be up your ally too. I’m not especially keen on The Devil’s Armada but most people seem to like it too.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:53 pm

Doctor What wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:42 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:40 pm
With the flash sale currently on, can anyone recommend me Philip Hinchcliffe Presents Vol. 1? It’s a good £40 cheaper, but is it worth me buying?
I was wondering this too, it's normally so expensive so the current price is tempting.
With the novel adaptations it's some of the best BF Tom, in my opinion. It's not reinventing the wheel, but if you want a solid story that you wish was a TV episode on its merits, they're worth it.

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Gave in and brought it. Already listened to Part One of ‘The Ghosts of Gralstead’ and I loved it. Very enjoyable and intriguing opener!
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:06 pm

Another question, this time for anyone who's listened to the Eighth Doctor and Lucie Miller range: which stories are absolutely essential to the overall narrative? From what I've gathered, there's quite a bit of filler that, while enjoyable, doesn't have an impact on the overarching storyline, and I want to start off with the stuff that is important before I go out and buy the remaining stories to fill the gaps.

SJF

Post by SJF » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Valeyard wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Another question, this time for anyone who's listened to the Eighth Doctor and Lucie Miller range: which stories are absolutely essential to the overall narrative? From what I've gathered, there's quite a bit of filler that, while enjoyable, doesn't have an impact on the overarching storyline, and I want to start off with the stuff that is important before I go out and buy the remaining stories to fill the gaps.
Well it depends on exactly what you would call the overall narrative.

To understand Lucie’s arc all you need is:

Blood of the Daleks
Horror of Glam Rock
The Zygon Who Fell To Earth
Death in Blackpool
Series 4 (There’s 2 or 3 filler episodes but they involve Tamsin who is relevant to the finale and it just makes sense to listen to the whole thing. Plus it’s really good.)

However there’s also smaller arcs, that don’t amount to much but do form the ongoing narrative of the 8DAs. These include:

Grand Theft Cosmos (Return of two major characters from Series 1)
Sisters of the Flame (Series 2 finale, Leads into The Vengeance of Morbius)
The Vengeance of Morbius (Series 2 finale, Leads into Orbis and sets up Series 3)
Orbis (Again one of the characters from Series 1 pops up again)
The Eight Truths (Series 3 finale, resolution to plot thread beginning in Series 2 finale)
Worldwide Web (see above)

Personally I’d recommend listening to Series 1 on Spotify, then listening to The Zygon Who Fell To Earth and then Death in Blackpool through to To The Death. You don’t need any context from any other stories for these and it gives you a complete run through of Lucie’s arc.

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:39 pm

SJF wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Well it depends on exactly what you would call the overall narrative.

To understand Lucie’s arc all you need is:

Blood of the Daleks
Horror of Glam Rock
The Zygon Who Fell To Earth
Death in Blackpool
Series 4 (There’s 2 or 3 filler episodes but they involve Tamsin who is relevant to the finale and it just makes sense to listen to the whole thing. Plus it’s really good.)

However there’s also smaller arcs, that don’t amount to much but do form the ongoing narrative of the 8DAs. These include:

Grand Theft Cosmos (Return of two major characters from Series 1)
Sisters of the Flame (Series 2 finale, Leads into The Vengeance of Morbius)
The Vengeance of Morbius (Series 2 finale, Leads into Orbis and sets up Series 3)
Orbis (Again one of the characters from Series 1 pops up again)
The Eight Truths (Series 3 finale, resolution to plot thread beginning in Series 2 finale)
Worldwide Web (see above)

Personally I’d recommend listening to Series 1 on Spotify, then listening to The Zygon Who Fell To Earth and then Death in Blackpool through to To The Death. You don’t need any context from any other stories for these and it gives you a complete run through of Lucie’s arc.
Awesome stuff, thank you so much! :)

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:54 pm

Massive sale on the Companion Chronicles range right now! Any recommendations?

SJF

Post by SJF » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:54 pm
Solitaire
The Scorchies
The Sara Kingdom Trilogy
Peri and the Piscon Paradox
Mastermind
The Mahogany Murderers

Also ones that I haven’t heard but are regularly recommend and I may pick up in the sale:

The Last Post
The Oliver Harper Trilogy
The Anachronauts

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:14 pm

SJF wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:05 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:54 pm
Solitaire
The Scorchies
The Sara Kingdom Trilogy
Peri and the Piscon Paradox
Mastermind
The Mahogany Murderers

Also ones that I haven’t heard but are regularly recommend and I may pick up in the sale:

The Last Post
The Oliver Harper Trilogy
The Anachronauts
Thanks SJF! I've had the Sara Kingdom and Oliver Harper trilogies on my list for a while since I heard they were really good! Added Solitaire to the list as well, will probably pick up Peri and the Piscon Paradox and Mahogany Murderers soon as well! :)

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:32 pm

Why must BF do this...very tempted to pick up a few of those suggested, especially since they're going out of print.