A Doctor Who Multiverse?

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
SJF

A Doctor Who Multiverse?

Post by SJF » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:43 pm

With Marvel and DC prominent on both television and film at the minute, the concept of multiverses has never really been more popular. In the past another universe has always been looked at as a “What if?” or a way to square away things that don’t quite fit with the established order, but now with shows like the Flash and Supergirl showing characters from completely different universes crossing over like they live in the next town over and shows like the OA having their own unique takes on the multiverse theory, should this be something explored in more depth within Doctor Who?

Of course we know without a doubt that the multiverse exists in Doctor Who, Pete’s World and the Inferno Earth are proof of this, not to mention Big Finish’s Unbound Series, particularly those starring David Warner's Doctor and of course the upcoming Eighth Doctor Time War 3 Boxset will be exploring the Multiverse as well.

Should this be explored further within the TV show, and should we perhaps be more open to the idea of Doctor Who Stories or even whole series set in a universe adjacent to the one we’re used to?

Of course the main issue that arises is that (knowing Doctor Who fans especially) anything that’s set outside of “Universe Prime” is going to be very quickly and easily ignored.

Say if for example a load of writers from different expanded universe series came together and established each range as existing in a different numbered world or if Chibnall decided to introduce an alternate universe version of the Thirteenth Doctor who say travels with Grace instead of the Fam or something and recurs in a future series, what would you think of that?

BilliePiperFan

Re: A Doctor Who Multiverse?

Post by BilliePiperFan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 am

Were they not originally planning on doing a Pete's World spin off series starring Rose?

I would have liked to have seen that.
I don't have a signature. Sad reacts only.

TheUmbrellaMan

Post by TheUmbrellaMan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:19 am

Well Big Finish is made more for the fans, and the fans haven't ignored anything. I think quite the opposite, the tv series isn't made for the fans, but for a broader audience. I, personally, don't see why it couldn't work. It all depends on what Chibnall wants...

Valeyard

Post by Valeyard » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:05 pm

I think a multiverse based anthology series could work. Say for one series we focus on a universe where the Time Lords conquered it instead of observing, and in the next we focus on a universe where Davros and the Daleks are the heroes. I think that would have more appeal compared to a series focused entirely on an alternate universe Doctor doing the same stuff as the main one.
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Valeyard wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:05 pm
I think a multiverse based anthology series could work. Say for one series we focus on a universe where the Time Lords conquered it instead of observing, and in the next we focus on a universe where Davros and the Daleks are the heroes. I think that would have more appeal compared to a series focused entirely on an alternate universe Doctor doing the same stuff as the main one.
In a way, in order to make the daleks heroes, you’d probably have to make it more ‘Second Empire’-ish.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.